• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Chris just said why I hate wizard/fighter dynamic

Oofta

Legend
If changes were made that addressed this for other people who have experienced problems with it, would the game still work "reasonably well" for you?

What changes? Make them into 4E fighters? Make them all battle masters with more powerful options but still using things like superiority dice? Able to jump double the distance of the world record at will? Able to do mythic things like redirect entire rivers by themselves? Big nope. Not for me.

Do something to lower the capability of casters? Give fighters a couple more options to gain skills or capabilities for things out of combat? Maybe.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Did I say that I don’t think that it should be fixed? Because earlier in this thread I definitely said it should be fixed and suggested how. But I still don’t think it is a major flaw. It’s just that it is a good idea to fix more minor issues too.

I dunno.

1/3 of your system's levels being unsatisfactory seems major

Aldarc

Legend
What changes? Make them into 4E fighters? Make them all battle masters with more powerful options but still using things like superiority dice? Able to jump double the distance of the world record at will? Able to do mythic things like redirect entire rivers by themselves? Big nope. Not for me.

Do something to lower the capability of casters? Give fighters a couple more options to gain skills or capabilities for things out of combat? Maybe.
Hypothetical changes of any sort. The fine details don't really matter at this junction. My primary purpose there was simply to establish whether you were flexible on potential changes that improved the experience for others while keeping the game working "reasonably well" for you.

I've played and DMed to 20th, my current group is 15th. Nobody has had a problem with those classes. One person's major flaw is another person's works reasonably well.
In the past, you have indicated that you use the “gritty rest” variant in your games i.e. a short rest is 8 hours and a long rest is 2 days of downtime.

If the game were tweaked so that all classes could contribute on an equal footing using the standard resting rules, would you complain?

Would you agree that posters here may have their own reasons not to implement the gritty rest variant that would mean that it is not a solution to the relative disparity between high level martial classes and high level caster classes?

Oofta

Legend
Hypothetical changes of any sort. The fine details don't really matter at this junction. My primary purpose there was simply to establish whether you were flexible on potential changes that improved the experience for others while keeping the game working "reasonably well" for you.
I expect there to be some changes with the anniversary edition. I can only answer the question of what I would want based on what people have suggested.

Oofta

Legend
In the past, you have indicated that you use the “gritty rest” variant in your games i.e. a short rest is 8 hours and a long rest is 2 days of downtime.

If the game were tweaked so that all classes could contribute on an equal footing using the standard resting rules, would you complain?

Would you agree that posters here may have their own reasons not to implement the gritty rest variant that would mean that it is not a solution to the relative disparity between high level martial classes and high level caster classes?

The game has to span everything from classic dungeon crawls to overland exploration and travel. Yes, I think there should be more explicit optional rules for handling those scenarios.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Based on who's opinion? You don't get to declare that your preference applies to the majority of players. Neither do I. There are many reasons high level play doesn't happen. 🤷‍♂️
That's my point.

It doesn't matter why.

If you design a game anda 1/3 of it is not used, it's a major flaw.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's my point.

It doesn't matter why.

If you design a game anda 1/3 of it is not used, it's a major flaw.
Probably a good thing that there are still a whole lot of us who do use it, then. There are something like 14 million 5e players. If even 10% go to high levels, that's 1.4 million people.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads