D&D General Chris just said why I hate wizard/fighter dynamic

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It's not that wizards weren't powerful it's just that there were many mechanics to deal with it.
Exactly. Like Archmages having maybe 45 hp at Level 18, maybe a dozen more hp if you rolled that CON 16 or better. :)

It boggles my mind that wizards in 5E typically have twice the hp... 🤷‍♂️

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So your NPCs would somehow replace all the trees in every clearing that the party could come across with trees that have been grown in a death trap? Impressive.

Although, the way I would handle it if I were DM would be that grabbing an object that isn't associated with the intended site simply bumps your down to the next appropriate level of familiarity. So you'd teleport to your intended target, but with a 25% chance of being off target.
Depends on the NPC. It could be a dragon in human guise doing DragonPlots. Likewise with powerful fiends. Either of them might also use magical trickery to ensure that you pick the right random branch stone or pebble idf not just replace it with a look alike from elsewhere. The key to the scenario is your habitual grabbing of random objects.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Depends on the NPC. It could be a dragon in human guise doing DragonPlots. Likewise with powerful fiends. Either of them might also use magical trickery to ensure that you pick the right random branch stone or pebble idf not just replace it with a look alike from elsewhere. The key to the scenario is your habitual grabbing of random objects.
Characters do all kinds of habitual things, like eating. If the NPC can manage all that, they could probably just replace the PCs rations with knock out poison or some such and capture them that way. Why wait for them to cast teleport when you can be proactive?

That's fair but, regarding the wizard picking all the wrong spells for the day (unlikely as that is), what's the worst case scenario? That, outside of combat, he's about as useful as a fighter for the day?
Still more useful. The wizard is likely trained in a bunch of Int skills, with a massive bonus. The Fighter? Athletics + a bunch of skills where other characters are likely stronger.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Characters do all kinds of habitual things, like eating. If the NPC can manage all that, they could probably just replace the PCs rations with knock out poison or some such and capture them that way. Why wait for them to cast teleport when you can be proactive?
They could much more easily but often killing the players is less important to them than obtaining a powerful cat's paw of a minion to do things they may not do themselves. It's not their fault that you happened to sleep in the clearing they used augury to predict you would sleep. Don't forget that this is in the context of you going back & forth with maxperson about just how low the bar for associated object is with posts like this. I've seen more than one player dig themselves holes like that over the years ;)

Remove ads