D&D General Chris just said why I hate wizard/fighter dynamic

Yaarel

He Mage
That is generally what the other wizards and their summons are up to.

Wizards may well have ~70% of the fighter's HP, and even taking AC into account, frontliners tend to get hit more.
That strategy works for about one encounter, not for an adventure.

Then the next encounter lacks those higher level slots.

TPK.

Fanaelialae

Legend
You are assuming that I would detail all if the possible reasons why a player needs to find an object with a more significant attachment like a tea kettle magically linked to their keep back elsewhere so they could play what if one by one until they think they find another loophole. It doesn't matter how you might gm for your own player, we are having this discussion because I gave an example of ways a gm could yank the noose handed to a player over an objection they seemed to let slide. Simply moving the tree into said cell changing the anchor point the tree that grew the branch provides, or or any number of other methods could be other examples.

Again it boils down to PCs & some NPCs & monsters having different rules & abilities. Death saves for example... You don't know how much gold & time on the part of an npc capable of plotting in geological timescales was involved in setting things in motion either.
Why would the wizard not know how their spell works? They learned to teleport but not what is and isn't an associated object? How does that make sense? Just tell the player that teleport doesn't exist. Trust me, everyone will being happier rather than trying to play a mind reading game of mother may I with the DM.

I don't agree that you can move the tree and thereby move the location. The branch is an associated object because the tree it is part of is an associated object. But they're both associated with the location, which is the clearing (technically, the area right next to the clearing where the tree was). So moving the tree would have literally no impact on the spell whatsoever.

I suppose you could have your DM fiat NPC build the inescapable cell around that location. I mean, it's fiat, so you could literally just have them wake up in the cell without any illusion of agency whatsoever. Which is probably the way to go, since then you wouldn't have to wait for them to cast teleport. But then the player wouldn't be able to "learn their lesson" for using a game granted ability the way it was intended to be used, right?

Why would the wizard not know how their spell works? They learned to teleport but not what is and isn't an associated object? How does that make sense? Just tell the player that teleport doesn't exist. Trust me, everyone will being happier rather than trying to play a mind reading game of mother may I with the DM.
Yeah. There are certain spells I feel are not conductive for the sort of game I want to run (many teleportation type spells among them.) So I just banned them. I feel it is far fairer and clearer than gotcha games.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I agree with this message. The wizard would have a very good idea what an associated object is. It wouldn't be fool proof. The rock they grab might just be a rock and not part of the building wall, but they aren't going to grab a pebble from a clearing and think it is sufficient. They'll know how the spell works.

I get that you want teleport to be handled with kiddie gloves. I don't.
why do you put people and ideas down like this? how is it kid gloves to think that 5% is too high?

I treat it like it should be treated.
there it is.. your way is best everyone else is wrong... sigh...
As something that is dangerous and could make the wizard safe or sorry, depending on how the dice gods rule things.
great you house ruled a 5% gotcha into a spell. 1 spell. (I mean I'm sure you have plenty of other house rules but we are talking about 1)

now how does "I made up a house rule where 5% of the time the spell puts you in danger" and diffrent then "I ruled that 5% of the time the fighter swings he drops his weapon" (BTW I have walked from more then 1 table for critical fumble rules hitting multi attackers too hard so no calling BS or saying no one would)

Yaarel

He Mage
As DM, for players to run away from a battle can be a sensible decision, and is sometimes necessary.

Whether they flee by foot or teleport is all the same in my eyes. There still is a feeling of having failed the encounter. It isnt something players normally want to do.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Rope Trick and Tiny Hut are usually safe resting areas.

But the Mansion spell? That seems underpowered compared to its slot. What difficulty do you experience with it?
Heh. The hut, too. I don't like instant safe resting spots. Finding a good spot and/or danger is part of the adventuring challenge. It's a personal preference, not a matter of difficulty.

Yaarel

He Mage
Heh. The hut, too. I don't like instant safe resting spots. Finding a good spot and/or danger is part of the adventuring challenge. It's a personal preference, not a matter of difficulty.
At the slot of Magnificent Mansion, the foe accessing Dispel Magic is likely. Especially when the foes have 24 hours to figure out a way to dispel it. The spell is a luxury, and less effective as a defense.

I treat Magnificent Mansion as a narrative device, albeit a vital one, because it is a useful way to interact with a "nature being", such as a rock, tree, or river.

(A rock with a powerful mindful presence can cast the Mansion to invite the party into a "rocky" mansion, where one of the "servants" represents the rock itself.)

Last edited:

Remove ads