Chronicles of a Cooper. (post 19, Rosedale)

alsih2o

First Post
(Porter is a character in a game DMed by Beale Knight set in the World beyond Allishondria.)

Porter grunted gracelessly as he swung his hammer in a wide arc.

Twenty-two years making barrels, first under his father’s tutelage and later as a traveling cooper, had made his arms accurate. He had plugged bungholes with corks held by noble fingers without ever leaving a bruise or splitting a cork. This blow met its mark as surely as any other. This blow shattered the collarbone of Lord Baldrik Deldora.

The grey-worn face of the sledge broke through the skin and scattered fragments of bone throughout the smaller mans chest. The fresh corpse was driven to its knees by the blow. The head rolled back into light streaming through the fruit trees and the waist sagged forward. As the weight pulled the corpse backwards off of Porter’s hammer he could have sworn that, for a moment, it looked as if the man was praying.

Outlaw. Porter’s brow wrinkled as the word flashed through his head. Now he was an outlaw. He turned began running between the long rows of fruit trees. His hammer repeated his pace in his right hand and the rhythm of shadow and light provided by the regularly spaced trees told him he had little time to make town before the sunset.

Porter reached the edge of the small hamlet glistening with sweat and fear. He refused to pause for shelter or food, pressing on to the tents beyond. He reached his small wagon at the far edge of the massed tents and grabbed for what was most important.

He pulled the boiled leather apron over his head and his hands found their way down the pockets. Hammer, hammer, wax, pincers, chalk, a tightly coiled standards rope, knife, knife, knife, saw, saw, hand drill. His large hands rooted under the wagon and emerged with a small pouch. Seven gold. That wasn’t going to buy him mercy.

“Porter! You big galloot. What are you all sweaty about?” The voice came form the shadows and emerged attached to a smile. The smile was attached to Dorus.

“Your brother. His death's done been avenged. You can rest tonight.” Porter’s voice was shaking.

Dorus pressed close to Porter, his head barely reaching Porters collar.

“What?!” Dorus stared at the big man with a mixture of confusion and guilt. “You did what?!”

“Lord Baldrik, I killed him. It’s over. Least that part’s over. I got’s to go. If’n you can make sure my tools make it back to my family.” Porter said with a nod to his shaky wagon.

“Porter, you damned fool! Baldrik didn’t do anything!” Dorus was pulling at Porters apron with wide eyes.

“Anything but kill your brother. Lord or not, that needs punishin’.” Porter’s word came with conviction.

Dorus drop straight to his ass. “Porter, listen, you are joking. You have to be. Joseph…Joseph isn’t any deader than you or me. Porter, he ran off with Peter’s daughter. They are probably still naked in the woods now!”

Porter stared at Dorus for a hard minute, his jaw working loosely in the early evening breeze. “Joseph wouldn’t…I…Joseph ain’t married to that girl!” He demanded.

“It was a joke Porter! It was humor! Baldrik wouldn’t kill him! Why would the Lord even know who Joseph was?” Dorus spoke quickly, panic was washing over him.

Porter turned ashen. Outlaw. The word rang through his head again.

Porter grasped the smaller man by his cloak and turned him quickly. Dorus fell to his knees and froze in fear. Porter tried to form the words in his throat. A lie? Had he just ruined two lives over a mindless joke? Bu the words jammed. Dorus on his knees brought the rush of the evening back to him, Baldrik kneeling as if in prayer…his body sliding away form Porter’s hammer.

Porter vomited.

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Ahh, nothing like a strong heroic beginning for a character. This could be interesting when he hooks up with his future party. They'll need to be careful about joking around the table - it could get you in serious trouble.

Hi alsih2o,

Now that's how to start a story hour! Looking forward to reading where this SH goes to.
Purchases popcorn and refreshments and takes a seat.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

alsih2o

First Post
The beginning of the beginning

Porter twisted the man around his hip and slung him towards the wagon.

Porter was six feet tall by the time he was fifteen years old. On his eighteenth birthday he stood a solid six foot five inches and had bested most of the tradesmen in town at falls. He had also taken their money for toting their loads back and forth. As a coopers con he had found plenty of extra work moving barrels. Slinging barrels of pitch or wine around prepared a man well for hurling men about.

As Dorus landed his head passed between the spokes of the wagon’s wheel and he rattled to stop when his shoulders would not pass. Porter was on his back in a flash/

“Tell me what is happening! Tell me or I swear I’ll send this wagon a’rollin’ and your head’ll roll with it!” Spittle hung form Porters lower lip as he roared, tears rolled form his eyes and his neck swelled with bulbous veins.

“Don’t do it Porter! Think now Porter, don’t do it!” Dorus struggled against the spokes and struggled to turn and see Porter as he spoke “It was supposed to be a joke. I didn’t want you thinking less of Joseph and nobody like Baldric. I swear, Porter. I swear, it wasn’t supposed to happen like this!”

Porter eased his weight off the man’s back and breathed deeply.

Dorus got himself up to his knees slowly. “You gotta think Porter. We gotta do something. I mean, I’ll never tell anyone but folks are gonna come lookin’. They’ll ask questions. Did anyone see you near the orchard?”

Dorus turned for his answer but the big man was already gone.

Porter tried not to shiver as clung to the log. He hadn’t running since the wagon and had managed to convince himself that taking the ferry across the river this late was suspicious. He almost laughed at the word suspicious. Nothing suspicious about a full-grown man clinging to a log in the middle of the Calila River on a cold spring night.

He made the bank and crawled heavily onto the shore. The water had softened his hard leather apron and it sagged across his body grinding the gritty river mud into his chest with every heaving breath.

He thought of heading to a church and pleading for mercy but he had never darkened the door of any church. He thought of walking back into the river and not resisting it, just letting the cold surround him and take him. He thought about the terrible sound of his hammer separating the lord shoulder from his breast.

He pulled himself sloppily to his feet and watched the muddy water drip form his clothes. He had wanted to be somebody, to be known, for his entire life and it was about to work against him.

Porter inhaled deeply and stumbled up the bank of the river as it began to rain.

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I remember the thread about Porter from the general forum. Sounded like a fun character, didn't realise there was going to be a story hour about him.

Great start! I'll definitely be following this one. :)

Remove ads