• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chunk of Meat

Starbuck_II

First Post
People eat livestock, but in general those that consume vermin live in the backwaters and the swamps, (although I will attest to the fact that raccoons and squirrels are quite delicious) and people that eat rats in particular usually do so as a preventative to total starvation. At that point though, they'll even eat other humans to stay alive.
So the comparison to cows is just outrageous.
The idea that they would even try to sell rat meat at market is more outrageous still.
The only way I could see it happening is if they were willing to grind it up and make some bluff checks.
Otherwise hilarity ensues as characters are chased out of town by angry rolling pin bearing merchants for bringing giant rat carcasses into the open food court at the local markets.
Did you watch Demolition Man?
They sold hotrat (hotdogs made of rat). The main dude didn't complain when he bite into it.

Derro

First Post
Sausages.

Nobody but the butcher really knows what's in a sausage. Andouillettes are the shiz, son, and a prepared sausage fetches a lot more than a gutted corpse.

Oooh... go to the town butcher. Sell him carcasses and your sausage plan. Then when business is booming it's blackmail time. Tell him you want the big cut or you tell the town he's been selling them rat meat.

Ha!

irdeggman

First Post
You know it sort of sounds like the players aren't happy with the "drops" from their kills and want more treasure.

Ahh computer game mentality. . .

frankthedm

First Post
Did you watch Demolition Man?
They sold hotrat (hotdogs made of rat). The main dude didn't complain when he bite into it.
In that character's situation, rat meat was the only mammal on the menu. In that type of situation, a ratburger beat tofu hands down IMHO. I'd eat a ratburger in that future myself, well done though.

Now in a fantasy setting with supernatural diseases around, that is another kettle of fish.

krupintupple

First Post
if they're after money and they have the combat skill to take out 3 dire rats, they should be able to breeze over a few wild swine, deer or any other time of small game without a hitch. one or two attack rolls or simple spells should down it, and then they could at least sell meat that people would want to buy.

maybe, as a side quest, they could try to hunt/trap some wild swine for the local butcher, only to run afoul of some other foes who had the same idea, except they wanted to put the PCs in their pies? the baker could be the lynchpin of an evil cult and sent the PC's in search of swine to get them out of town and alone?

maybe he targetted PCs because they're decked out more richly than most average hunters and times are cheap - evil deities require your money too!

krupintupple

First Post
If they need money badly enough to sell dire rats: I doubt they are decked out that richly.

i think you misread me: even an average 1st level PC 'wears' far more wealth than an average commoner about town. some low level thugs set up 'quests' that they know that commoners wouldn't dare touch, but most low level PCs would, in hopes of ambushing them and gaining their better-than-the-average-commoner level loot.

i was also suggesting more of a plot-hook - if they really want to hunt rats, give them a bit of a reason to, instead of punishing them for doing something silly.

Remove ads