City of Brass - Boxed Set - Anyone Got Any Details?

Hello Everyone,

I read somewhere of a huge box set for the City of Brass. Just the sound of this is absolutely excellent but who's doing it and when? Any details yet? How do I get my Australian hands on it?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

This was posted by Bowbe/Casey Christofferson over in the publishers thread on the Paizo/Necro merge when people asked about COB:

City of Brass is the last slated release through White Wolf and went to the printer early last week.

For page counters amongst the hordes it is:

Boxed Set
450(or so) pages (Bigger than RAR and bigger than Wilderlands Box page count wise... tho I would say Wilderlands has more "words" in it by about 6-7 pages. Wilderlands also had those cool map posters (A ton of em).

Fantastic interior art by Brian Leblanc and some others. (Most people were dissapointed that Brian's work did not make it into Bard's Gate.) Not to worry this time around. He did the lions share of the interiors and they are AWESOME!

I believe its set up as 3 books. 1 book for setting and adventure, 2nd book for monsters, NPCs and magic items and a map booklet thats like 26 pages.

Very Very cool maps by Ed Skeleton Key Bourelle. The map booklet is being done in an archaic style with special inks

Estimated Release Date: Gen Con 07

Estimated Price? Don't know but you'll probably find out before I do.

City of Brass should be up for pre-order in the coming weeks at the White-Wolf site.

So to answer your question... yeah CoB is definitely coming out and definitely out this year. (It's actually nice to be able to say that).

I have cowritten some stuff with Casey for his Haunted highlands C&C setting/modules and have gotten a glimpse or two of the art. It is phenomonal.
So to get your Australian hands on it, watch for the announcement of pre-orders or order it through your favorite retailer this summer.

-M

Schmoe

Adventurer
I'm fortunate enough to own the boxed set of this, and I've been re-reading it again hoping to get my current campaign into the Plane of Molten Skies and the City of Brass. I'm repeatedly amazed at just how much incredible content is packed into this set, from details of the city and surrounding environment, to compelling NPCs and stats, to magic items, spells, creatures and really intriguing adventure seeds.

I realize it's late (about 12 years!), but would anyone be interested in a more detailed breakdown?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Oh yes! A “let’s read” thread?

Cool! I don't really know what the format is supposed to be for a "let's read thread", but I'll do my best :)

Part 1 - The box contents

The DriveThruRPG link is to PDF and POD, but I have the original boxed set, so this review is about the original boxed set. I can't really comment on the quality of PDFs and POD results.

This is a boxed set published by Necromancer Games for the d20 system during the time of D&D 3.5. The box is made of solid stock and has an evocative picture on the front of an efreet towering over the City of Brass.

The box is jammed literally to the brim with three books and a map folio. There is no empty space in the box, which gives a prelude to just how much content the set contains. The production values are pretty good. However, in comparison to the content, I find the content to be outstanding, and the production values to be not quite outstanding. For example, there are no full-color fold-outs or other handouts, which are often included in box sets. But on the other hand the map folio is packed with literally dozens of well-done maps. The quality of the materials isn't going to knock your socks off, but it's definitely good enough to be useful.

The books are soft-bound with glossy covers, although they each have the same image as the front of the box. The interiors of the books are black and white, with some very nice illustrations scattered about. The map folio is likewise in B&W (actually more of a bronze than black) and has dozens of maps, starting with a map of the Plane of Molten Skies and then moving on to the dozens of different maps of the main attraction, the City of Brass. The cartography is generally really well done, although the maps are on the smaller side.

The books are broken down as follows:

Book 1 - The City of Brass (128 pages)
Book 2 - 1001 Efreeti Nights (112 pages)
Book 3 - Appendices (188 pages)

Next up - Book 1

Schmoe

Adventurer
After a few pages of introductory material, Book 1 starts with a four-page history and mythology behind the City of Brass and all of genie-kind. It centers around the first genie, Sulymon, who is created from a spirit as a servant to the gods. Sulymon goes on to create the rest of the genies by gathering spirits similar to himself, who can serve the will of the gods in matters of creation and control of the elements. The genies are gifted the City of Brass for their service, which at the time is an enormous fortress of metal. Over time things change, and the history explains how the Plane of Molten Skies was formed, and how the evil efreet came to rule the City of Brass as a massive city on that fire-scarred plane. This section is not just window dressing, as it sets up much of the the rest of the material. Distinct locations, items, and NPCs found through the rest of the content tie directly back to the history, helping to bring it to life.

The next section describes the Plane of Molten Skies. This is imagined as a finite plane that rests at the juncture of the Elemental Planes of Fire, Earth, and Air. The City of Brass rests in a massive basalt bowl that actually juts out into the plane of Fire. By creating the Plane of Molten Skies, the book is able to create an environment that is exotic and somewhat hostile, but yet still suitable for adventure, and the next 30 or so pages are filled with fantastic locations and environmental hazards. The writing is evocative and informative, although perhaps a little wordy. For example:

The skies are ablaze on this plane; its upper atmosphere seems to be perpetually in a state of consumption by a gigantic ball of flame and liquid fire. The air is stuff and warm, breathable, but uncomfortable to those not used to it. The ground is formed of cracked obsidian and basalt, warm to the touch, but comfortable enough to walk on without inflicting harm on those not resistant to heat or fire. Mountains and hills formed of basalt and small pools of lava dot the landscape. Volcanoes scattered throughout the planar landscape belch forth blasts of molten elemental fire and rock at random intervals. Rivers and streams of liquid flame wind through the landscape, emptying into a raging sea of liquid elemental fire. Desert-like areas covered in blowing, burning sand are prominent near the nexus and conjoining points of the Elemental Plane of Earth.

31 separate locations are described on the Plane of Molten Skies, ranging from the Caves of the Glass Wyrms to The Great Sand Sea or The Spire of Hazrad the Mad. Each location typically has at least 3-4 paragraphs of description with brief stat lines for any occupants and notable traps, treasure, or other elements. Some of the locations actually contain sub-areas, such as the Great Rock Wall, which is comprised of both the Splinter-Rock Clan and the Wall of Petrified Dead. I found these locations to be both interesting and inspiring. Each one is given some unique twist that makes it stand out, whether it is the black-skinned angel who once was the guardian of the original betrayer of the Efreet and is now trapped in a block of obsidian for all time, or a forest of metallic trees that grows in the acidic fallout from a nearby volcano and shelters a secret clan of elves that have adapted to the harsh conditions.

Following the description of the plane, the book spends 10 pages describing the Bazaar of Beggars. As entrance to the City of Brass itself is tightly regulated, a miles-long queue has formed of petitioners seeking entrance. The Bazaar is the makeshift city of tents and merchants that has sprung up to serve the needs of those petitioners. It has its own well-thought out economy and ample opportunity for adventure. As usual, creative imagination spills out, as the book isn't content to provide anything that doesn't have something to make it stand out. For example, instead of just having "water merchants", it has the Water Makers, a strange cult who trade two pints of water for one pint of a person's blood. In all it details 11 different tents, merchants, and buildings that are described in wonderful detail and provide rich opportunities to engage with the setting.

Next: The City of Brass

Last edited:

Remove ads