City-State of the Invincible Overlord

The City of the Invincible Overlord includes all the original maps, plus a much expanded and updated softcover book detailing the denizens of the City State, its locations, adventure ideas and NPCs. The book will also incorporate material from the classic Judges Guild product Wraith Overlord, which details the sewers and dungeons beneath the famed City State, as well as material from Pegasus magazines.

Note: This is NOT a boxed set. It ended up being released as a hardcover. There is to be a boxed set for the Wilderlands setting.

City State of the Invincible Overlord is the D20 conversion of the (in)famous Judges Guild product. The D20 conversion editing was done by Scott Greene, of Tome of Horrors I and II fame. The book has Black and White illustrations with several pages of gridded greyscale maps on high gloss paper stock. It has 382 pages of material, including indexes that help you find Streets and locations. There is an NPC index created by a fan available as a download at the Judges Guild website. There is also a fantastic "sister" city done by another fan set in the Wilderlands area called Altanis. That city, like CSIO (City State of the Invincible Overlord), are easily portable into any campaign. The hardest thing a DM needs to do to allow this is to forget the history provided and write their own.

This book is the best write-up I have seen since the boxed set for the City of Waterdeep. It has everything.

Chapter 1 gives an overview of the various organizations within the city as well as the game statistics for the city itself, which has an average population of 80,000. It is a big city but only a 1/3 the population of Waterdeep. Not only does it give an overview, but you also get a sense of each organizations overall personality. On page five you also get a table breaking down military unit sizes with a "Regular Army title" and a "Noble Army title".

Chapter 2 introduces new rules ideas, such as "social factor", which is a ranking of social status and giving a hierarchy and how they rate/rank against each other. This is because there isn't only one social class, so each societal part of the city gets their own social level ranking and then a table showing how these social ranks measure up to the other social ranks. Three examples are the Nobles, the guilds, and the Merchants. There are six social classifications in all. This chapter also introduces their version of the skills Gambling, Interrogation, and Torture, along with helpful tables listing DC's and DC modifiers.

If you incorporate the slavery aspect of this city (it is ruled by a L/E King), there is a very good chart on page 14 that helps a DM determine the going price of a slave, based on age, skills, attributes, etc...

There are also two PrC's introduced in this chapter. A 5 level Agent of the Black Lotus PrC and a 10 level Beggar class. Personally, I like them both, they are great for adding story flavor to this city and I have several plans in how to utilize them as NPC's. I do not foresee any players being excited to play one. They are not nearly powerful enough. There is also a neat little Beggar physical/mental deformity table on the last page of the chapter.

Chapter 3 is probably my favorite chapter in the whole book. It is the Crime and Punishment Chapter. There are 18 tables in this chapter to help the DM determine the severity of a crime, the punishment of a crime, the attitude of the Judge, how the attitude of the judge effects their ruling, and even how the weather will effect the judges mood and therefore the sentence. It also has tables detailing the punishments, including methods of torture and how much they will hurt as well as how survivable they are. It also has tables to determine Bribery amounts and results. All in all, a very wonderful chapter that I am very eager to use in my game.

Chapter 4 contains the City Encounters charts/tables. For example, the City Folk Encounter Table breaks encounters down by Hierarchy versus their Social Level and also gives you a class level range and how much money they are carrying on their person. They also have encounter tables for specific City Quarters, an Unusual Encounters table which are monsters you could run into, a special encounters table which details events such as getting spit upon to running into a lamplighter. If you run into a town crier there are sub-tables telling what the town crier is saying, from a call to arms to the birth of a prince. There are even a set of tables to help the DM/Judge determine the reason/motivations behind encounters. There are also a couple of tables that illustrate the cosmopolitan nature of this city. There are at least 21 races a person can expect to run into, several of which are unique to the Wilderlands, so DM replacements may be necessary.

Chapter 5 is a very short chapter that gives you statistics for common items such as chests and doors in the CSIO. It also gives brief explanations of how the City stays peaceful and other important information about presenting the street life of the city.

Chapter 6 is another short chapter made up entirely of tables for rolling random rumors and legends of the CSIO.

Chapter 7 is a meaty chapter giving you street by street breakdowns of possible encounters.

Chapter 8 is another impressive chapter. It starts off giving the DM/Judge 12 numbered locations to make up the details of for themselves. It then goes on to detail 339 additional locations for the DM to use. Locations such as temples, 4 or 5 of which are given far greater detail in later chapters, numerous Inns and Taverns, Candle Makers, a Phrenologist, Carpenters, Glassblowers, a Bear Trainer, Saddleshops, Sail Maker, Racketeer, a Pet Shop, etc.... All including basic NPC info. This is where that NPC download I have mentioned comes in handy. This chapter runs from page 47 to page 134.

Chapter 9 is the first chapter detailing what is called the Wraith Overlord, Beneath the City State. This goes into the sewer/underground areas of the city, the history, some story ideas, and other information.

Chapter 10 details the City Jail. It also gives the history of a number of the individuals who are imprisoned here. It also details the various torture chambers and the Jails connection to the sewers/undercity areas, called The Pit. Which is where they throw the insane.

Chapters 11-13 details temples, their priests, their treasures, there lay-outs, and where they are connected through the sewers. Lots of good adventure seeds in these chapters. Of course there have been tons of adventure ideas throughout the whole book!

Chapter 14 details the Thieves Guild. Nuff' said.

Chapter 15 covers what is called the Despot Ruins. The ruins are the areas where two ancient fortresses once stood. Not terribly detailed, but I consider that a good thing, since I have several old modules and Dungeon adventures I can use to add the detail I want.

Chapter 16 covers another temple. The temple of the Spider-god. No, this isn't a rip off of a certain abyssal spider demoness. This temple is definitely about spiders. Lots of them, some of them very deadly to low level characters (CR3 spiders).

Chapter 17 covers another very interesting area. However, I am not going to provide any details of it here. It is best to make it as hard as possible for players to know anything about this.

Chapter 18 covers something called the Watchtower. It is a place that could easily become a location repeatedly visited by PC's. That's all I'll say about this place as well.

Chapter 19 gives detail about the Patrician Theater's lower levels. The upper level was detailed at location 158 in Chapter 8. More secret stuff I don't want to tip off players to.

Chapter 20 details the School of Ancient Knowledge. Again the above ground portion was detailed in Chapter 8. This school caters to anyone who is seeking any kind of knowledge.

Appendix 1 gives details of the most important NPC's in the city, namely the Invincible Overlord himself, the Grand Vizier, and a certain NPC with many tentacles hanging where his mouth would be.

Appendix 2 details magic items introduced in this book.

Appendix 3 is the monsters, a fair number of which are/were created within the walls of CSIO. Two templates are here, one is the skeletal thief/warrior template, the other is for creating Wraith Spiders.

So what is my overall opinion of this book? Awesome!! I loved reading this. I am psyched about all of the story ideas this book gave me. I am actually eager to sit down and bring this city to life. I am glad this city is so campaign portable because my current campaign is based in Erde. My last campaign was based in the Wilderlands. So I still get to unleash the wonders of this city in my Erde campaign! Or I could use it in Greyhawk, or even Ravenloft, since there are a fair number of undead in this city, and I could easily make the Overlord a Darkpower of Ravenloft.

Plus this comes with a rich, old, campaign world known as the Wilderlands! This book, combined with the Players Guide to the Wilderlands, the boxed set coming out in a few months, plus with the wonderful fan downloads at judgeguild.net, make for a very rich and basic campaign world, with at least 4 more support products coming out! Plus the Caverns of Thracia are already out in stores now.

This is just an awesome product! Any DM who wants good cities to put in their campaign world needs to get this book. It is hardbound with nice black and white illustrations throughout, an excellent NPC spreadsheet at Judgesguild.net, plus well written locations that just gets a DMs creative ideas bursting while reading them.

Websites you can go to for fan downloads and up coming product releases: http://www.judgesguild.net or http://www.necromancergames.com.

GreenPiece

First Post
Also, there's http://www.judgesguild.com , offering official and fan material as free downloads. Some of the official downloads may be password protected (see the credits page of the book to get the password).

GP

home.earthlink.net/~wilderlands/

Here is another good link for those of you who would like some more inspiration and maps to use for CSIO as well as the Wilderlands setting.

MonsterMash

First Post
City State of the Invincible Overlord

by Bob Bledsaw, Bill Owen, Scott Fulton and others
D20 conversion lead author: Patrick Lawinger
Judges Guild/Necromancer Games, 288pp US$34.99

Introduction
The City State of the Invincible Overlord (CSIO) is an updated version of the original city
supplement for D&D, which was first released by Judges Guild in 1977. Since then an updated version was released by Mayfair Games which was not liked by Judges Guild fans for the changes made to the setting, even though it was a reasonable product. This is the first D20 version of the setting.

The feel of the city is classic Sword and Sorcery like Howard's Shadizar the Wicked or Leiber's Lankhmar and it'd be easy to imagine the Mouser and Fafhard as encounters here.

This release incorporates the Wraith Overlord product which detailed the city sewers and underground, that was a separate release from Judges Guild. As this was originally written by Scott Fulton there is a bit of difference in the writing and level of detail which still shows in the revised version, but this is not a problem to the usability of the product.

The City
The city itself has a feel like medieval Byzantium or Venice and is far from politically correct,
with slavery, houris and the Park of Obscene Statues. Most races can be encountered there
including Orcs, Goblins and Trolls as the focus is on making money, and the overall alignment is Lawful Evil. The Overlord maintains order with the guards, constables and his secret police, the Black Lotus. One thing should be noted, not every location is detailed and DM are encouraged to develop their own material and change things to fit to their own campaign.

The city layout is much more like a medieval city than is usual for gaming products, with densely packed buildings within the city walls and winding streets and alleys rather than a simple grid. This adds a lot to the feel of the place for me.

Generally most gods seem to have worshippers, with nine temples detailed including those of Harmakhis, Odin, Thoth, and the Spider God. The temples all have adventure hooks attached with plenty of scope to build a campaign round them. It would be easy to use unlabelled buildings or any of the existing temples for different gods to support a specific campaign.

The entries for locations tend to give the statistics needed to run an encounter there rather
than every detail as it is assumed that combat will not be the main reason that players visit most locations, but there is usually enough there if a fight does result.

Encounter tables are provided with specific ones for many streets as well as the standard citywide encounter tables in chapter . There is a rumour table for the entire city replacing the original's rumours at each location, with these providing plenty of scope as adventure seeds.

The most important NPCs are in an appendix, but these are unlikely to be encountered by players in most campaigns, generally the NPC stats are at the location where they will be met. There is a download of generic NPC available for download which couldn't be fitted into the book.

The Sewers and underground
The underground of the city is detailed with this providing a set of adventure hooks and possibilities. There are encounter tables for this area as well including thieves and amazons.

The area covered is pretty wide including the city jail, the major temples, the thieves guild, despot ruins, patrician theatre and the tomb of Cynges-leah Dirhan. Many of the locations interconnect allowing wide ranging adventures in the darkness beneath the city.

Appearance and production
This is a hardcover book with a clean internal layout featuring black and white interior art. The binding appears to be of decent quality which is important with a product that will be used for a substantial amount of time, the paper is semi-gloss allowing notes to be made if desired. About 90% of a page is used for text so there is little wasted space or padding.

Artwork is by a number of artists, with a Rick Sardinha cover and interior art by Brian Le Blanc, David Day and others. Most of the art relates to the setting and text and helps to add flavour.

A double sided map is attached inside the back cover with additional maps being in the closing pages of the book. The map is on glossy paper. The maps are by Ed Bourelle and very well done and are a major positive for me.

Rules
There is relatively little in the way of rules content in this product. There are only two new
classes, both really for NPC's, these being the Agent of the Black Lotus PrC and the Beggar NPC class. There are rules and a new skill for Gambling, and a set of rules for Social Levels.

There is a chapter with rules for crime and punishment, these being tailored for the LE aligment of the city and can be substituted with a different system if the DM wishes. Generally a higher social level helps to avoid or reduce the punishment recieved.

There are encounter tables which could be adapted for other urban adventuring environments, with street specific and city wide tables.

There are 15 creatures included in an appendix at the back with two templates. All of these are used in the setting, but some of the creatures and the templates can be easily used outside the CSIO. An appendix contains the new magic items referred to in the book.

Web support
There is a substantial amount of support for the product on the web including errata, additional material and discussion on the Necromancer Games boards.

Positives
  • Wide variety of predefined locations in and around the city
  • Flexible enough to fit into any campaign - enough spaces for DM to easily customise
  • Additional rule content useful for any city setting
  • Great maps
  • 'real sword & sorcery' feel - the atmosphere is inspired by the classic S&S stories of Howard and Leiber
  • Web support - Errata, Sample NPCs and setting information all available at Necromancers website and message boards

Negatives
  • Only DM's maps - no players maps like the original JG version had.
  • the four and five level dungeons from the original are only available as downloads
  • Some of the content is slightly loose in its connections

Overall
I give this a 9.5/10 to give 5 stars. This really is a great product in my opinion, I will admit to a certain amount of nostalgia colouring my view, but even so the product can readily be used on any campaign with large cities.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Oook! City of the Invincible Overlord good!

(Necromancer Games d20 Version)

City State of the Invincible Overlord was apparently the first published city for a fantasy roleplaying game, or at least D&D.

I never owned the original version from Judges Guild, but a few years ago I did get a copy of the "Revised" edition. It was sold through the Traveller 20 people, Quiklink, and was really cheap, $10 or so. As near as I can tell, the revisions were mostly to remove "D&D" from it, and presumably change things slightly so as to avoid any possible legal problems, but it still pretty much was for D&D. (I think this was after TSR and Judges Guild had their spat).

At any rate, it was a very early product, 1977 according to the date in it, and it showed. Bizzare layout, weird rules, awful typesetting. But it had a certain charm, and the original literally had 100s of locations mentioned, along with stats for characters at those locations.

The new City State of the Invincible Overlord (CSIO) from Necromancer pretty much keeps all the locations and NPCs intact, as well as some of the rules, but brings the layout and presentation up to date. A little bit of political correctness has also seeped in. Though maybe not PCness so much as tact. (I'll go into this later). It also apparently adds in items from another Judges Guild product, "Wraith Overlord", the original of which I know nothing about, but apparently was a book of dungeons and locations beneath various places in the city.

The City

There's actually not much background on the city itself. About a page of history. It's set in the Wilderlands setting from Judge's Guild, but doesn't mention anything about it at all, so you are pretty much on your own unless you own the "Player's Guide to the Wilderlands" (which I bought, but never received, one of the perils of buying mail order) or the upcoming boxed set.

Basically, there are two halves to the city. One is essentially from the original CSIO, 350 or so keyed locations in the city itself. Shops, taverns, brothels, etc.

The original CSIO just had a sentence or two for most, along with stats for some NPCs (sometimes 1, sometimes more). The stats were in tabular format. Class, level, Alignment, ability scores, hit points, weapon, treasure.

This book expands upon the description somewhat. Instead of a line, most locations get at least a paragraph.

Stats are pretty much the same. Class, level, ability scores, but in some cases, they've given a relevant skill rank or two as well.

To be honest, a full blown stat block would have been a lot more helpful. I realize that would have made the book longer, but OTOH, the book does have rather big margins. Smaller margins and more stats would have been much better. It would also have been nice if they added a physical description. On the plus side, many of the NPCs have nicknames or titles (epithets?), like so and such the ________. Sir Batan the Stout, Hertogan the Spur, Culman the Cabalist, Anoletine the Bore, Vikan the Violent, etc, etc, etc

The locations are really varied, everything from accountants to wigs. Lots of taverns, around 50 of them. Some are apparently allusions to classic fantasy literature. For instance, there is a "Silver Eel" tavern.

Also, the original author was presumably a Queen fan - one of the brothels is called "Naughty Nannies". Heh-heh. Actually, given the tackiness in other areas of the product, I'm surprised there are only 2 or 3 brothels listed.

I've actually had a lot of fun comparing the original entries to the new ones. For the most part, they really have improved on the original. Except on one area - gods. In the original CSIO, actual gods were NPCs in some of the locations. In this, you get that "avatar" stuff, which I really don't like. . Back in the old days, gods were gods, there was none of this new fangled "avatar" stuff. It's very very 2E-ish. (Which is not terribly surprising, since Necromancer Games' stuff really does have more of a 2E feel than anything else)

Wraith Overlord

The 2nd part of the city is called "Wraith Overlord". It's essentially the underneath areas for a lot of the city, but doesn't detail the entire undercity (though there is a map of the sewers). Just the undercity for certain buildings.

Essentially, the below parts of these buildings are presented as dungeons for PCs to explore/sack. Most of these work fairly as dungeons. But some, like the theater, seem a bit odd.

The first location, the prison, is actually interesting because it has extremely detailed backgrounds for quite a large number of prisoners. It's almost like watching a crime show on A&E.

The only real challenging dungeon lies outside of town, and may or may not be accessible via the sewers. It's pretty short, though, and involves something of a Cthulhu style cult, only full of undead. There's another Cthulhu reference - one of the books found in one of the dungeons is the infamous Necronomicon by Abdul Alhazred.

New Rules

The original CSIO introduced several new rules for things that were common to life in the CSIO. Rules for being a noble, rules for the court system, rules for how you are treated (social level). And rules for women.

Remember how the 1st edition DMG had that random harlot table in it? Well, if you think that was tacky, well, the rules in the original CSIO went beyond that by several velvet Elvises. Anyway, basically they had rules for er, courting women. What they wore, their disposition, and of course, their vital measurements.

Anyway, I was curious as to whether or not they would make it into the new CSIO. Nope! I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. While they were pretty silly and immature, they do sort of fit the style of 60s-70s fantasy and in my mind, have a lot of a camp value.

Anyway, the social level rules are pretty much left intact (basically there are different levels from 1 to 20, 1 being a slave and 20 being a god). The court rules get a revamp, mechanic wise, but essentially stay the same (basically lots of tables, then a roll).

There's a class for NPCs called "The Beggar". Pretty much what it sounds like. And a prestige class for the Overlords secret police.

The Rest

The first appendix is on important NPCs of the City State. There are apparently only 3 of them. The Overlord, his bodyguard, and his 2nd in command.

This is pretty lacking, I thought. I would have liked to have known about the heads of various factions, ie, the thieves guilds, the temples, the assassin guilds, etc. You get some info on them in the section in the City State itself, but very little info.

The second is slightly bigger, and is on new magic items. Lots of misc. wondrous items, though nothing really exciting.

The 3rd appendix is new monsters, and is pretty big, at 20 or so pages. Apparently they were done by the Tome of Horrors people, which pretty much means they are done right, stats wise. Most of the monsters are fairly gruesome, or something out of a movie on the Sci-Fi channel (like the Crocman). Except the Valkyrie and her horse.

The Looks

The layout is okay, but nothing special. As I think I mentioned, the margins are kinda big, 1 1/4", looks like.

The art is a mixed bag. Some of it is by Brian LeBlanc, who I consider to be pretty much the best artist in the RPG field today. He's my favorite, at least. Another artist, Erik Roman, has a similar style but is less proficient. But the rest of the art varies quite a bit in style and so the art kind of clashes. At least one picture of an elf (I think) has the giant, floppy, anime elf style ears which make my skin crawl and definitely doesn't fit this book.

The cover, well, I don't even know what the cover art is. A giant hand coming out of the ground picking up a guy, while 2 other guys look confused. What that has to do with a great big city, I dunno. (I think it's an illustration of something in Wraith Overlord, outside the side and in a crypt. But not something that advertises an exciting city.).

The map index is pretty nice. You get a listing of the places by type (ie, a list of all the taverns, shops, etc). And a list of places by name, and And a list by number. No actual index, though. So it's really easy to find a place in the book, but perhaps not a specific person or item.

The map itself is really nice, if somewhat smaller than I thought. It's the size of 4 normal sheets of paper, with most of the city being on 2 sheets, and so the city itself is very very tiny and hard to make out. You almost need the potion of diminution (which is actually a magic item in the book) to read it. (The original map was about 50% larger, 8 pages total, with the city taking up 3x2)

Final Thoughts

I think the conversion from original D&D (or maybe AD&D) to 3.5/d20 is a bit off. Mostly, they seem to have translated the levels literally. But that's not quite right, I think, because in original D&D (in the little brown books), characters really never made it past 9th level or so. AD&D went a bit higher, but still, characters never really got that high up.

3rd Edition D&D is meant for higher levels. A 10th level character is fairly common, and 20th level characters are not terribly rare.

But in this, the "Invincible Overlord" is still just 20th level. While 20th level is nothing to sneeze at in 3.X, it's not exactly "Invincible". Not nearly as much as it was 30 years ago. IMHO, they should have used the epic rules for him (say, 30th level), and increased a lot of the levels of other NPCs, for instance, the levels of the high priests in various temples from 9 to at least 15-18. (9 was the standard level for D&D "High Priests", especially the "EHP" or "Evil High Priest"). The write up of Mr. Invincible also seems to suggest he probably would be an epic level character - he's done a lot of adventuring, epic style quests, as well as lots of planar traveling

As written, a group of 4-5 10th level characters would find all but one of the dungeons in the book a cake-walk. And they probably wouldn't want to do that last dungeon (not if they have any common sense, anyway).

I also think the political correctness detracts a bit. Beyond the removing of the amusing if immature rules for women, I found the bit about how Necromancer Games doesn't condone slavery in real a bit stupid. I mean, duh, no one advocates slavery in real life. Still, at least the presumed nickname of one apparently very pneumatic dancer remained. (Still, she might have just been a pottery affionado)

It's a very good book, but not outstanding. It's overly dry (ie, dull to read), a bit spartan looking, mediocre layout, and as I mentioned above, I think the d20 conversion is a bit off, not technically, but spiritually. Still, the non-mechanical fleshing out of the city and NPCs was very well done. Really, it's somewhere between an B+ and an A-. I can't decide. But what the heck, I'll give it a 5, simply because they kept the name of that one NPC, despite it being very silly.

While it's mostly useful as the main city in the Wilderlands setting, if you remove the non-human races, you'd have a pretty suitable city for Conan. Probably too evil for most other D&D/d20 settings, though.

Notes:
---------

It probably helps a lot to have the Players Guide to the Wilderlands. While it's not directly referenced much, and so it's definitely not necessary, I was wishing I had it to look some things up in. If I had the money, I'd run out and buy it (along with Caverns of Thracia, a Wilderlands module).

Interestingly, the original product had several D&D things that TSR considered to be their IP. Mind Flayers and Beholders and such. WOTC apparently gave NG/JG permission to continue to use them. Which is nice, I thought.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Great review MonsterMash! This looks like one of the very few current d20 RPG products I will pick up. It definitely seems to have a strong 'old school' flavour.

This is a guide book to an old-school, 1st Edition style fantasy city. It dates back to the original by Judges Guild in the 1970s. I think it's a whole lot of fun, and will work as a solid city setting for years of a campaign.

WHAT IT IS

A very well-described, complete fantasy city that's almost completely setting neutral -- it will fit any "normal" campaign.

You want a place PC's can teleport in and out of? Got it. You want a prison? Got it, with rules on crime and punishment, and lots of original, well-written NPC prisoners, ranging from the hapless innocents to two different serial killers. Heck, there's even two layers of the pit in the prison -- the layer for people they don't like at all, and the layer for people they like even less than that.

Power Level: What I think is reasonable for a tough city. 1st level PCs can live here, but they'd better watch themselves. 5th level PCs, who after all can cast fireball, are not as special in the City State as they'd be back in the village -- in the big pond, Fireball don't impress people much. 10th level PC's are majorly powerful here -- powerful enough to get in major trouble, perhaps.

Feel: Standard fantasy. Nothing weird about it. Torches, not Continual Light, level of magic usage.

It's basically a Lawful Evil/Lawful Neutral place, but the author didn't confuse evil with insane. It's Lawful Evil in a Roman Empire or mafia way, not a totalitarian or psycho "let's kill everyone and end the world" way. It's the kind of Lawful Evil that says slavery is fine, secret police kill anybody who messes where they shouldn't, and both good and evil temples are tolerated as long as they don't interfer with profits -- we're all hear to make money and visit the brothels, not to slaughter everyone for the devil.

HOW TO USE IT

This is supposed to be set in the Wilderlands. But the City-State will fit in ANY standard fantasy setting -- Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, other random stuff, or homebrew. That's what I like about it, but others will complain it doesn't have enough weird different stuff. Nope, the city is not inhabited by zombie clockworks from another dimension . . . I'm glad it's not.

It's even geography neutral. It's supposed to be a sea port, but you can use it as an inland river port without even needing a new map. The climate is generic too.

Personally, I'm going to use it as Rel Astra, Greyhawk's second biggest city. What do I need to do to port it to Greyhawk? Hmmm:
- Ignore the Invincible Overlord himself. Use the Greyhawk dude, Drax the Invulnerable, who is different in being undead (oooh funky!), but otherwise is pretty similar in his Lawful Evil but not a jerk about it stance. Definitely keep the Invincible Overlord's advisors and secret police. They rock.
- Change the names of some of the Gods. Two of the gods here are from real world mythology -- Thoth from the Egyptian pantheon and Odin from the Norse pantheon -- so you may already be using them. There's less than a half dozen gods here anyhow.
- Change a table about where random people hail from originally.
That's it. Literally, it's almost all portable, not setting specific. To me, that's great.

PLUS

Lots of good details. Very little setting specific clutter -- perfectly portable. Interesting enough that I stayed up until about 2 am reading it the day I got it.

MINUS

Two minor things that annoy me slightly: the city wall seems to be missing on the port side on the map and some of the brothel/inn stuff gets repetitive.

THINGS THAT DON'T BOTHER ME BUT MIGHT BOTHER YOU:

- The portability and lack of setting specific info might make it boringly generic to some gamers. It's a question of taste.
- Some gamers might be offended that there's slavery here, and that there's a lot of mild non-detailed sex references, for instance there's a Naughty Nanny service. That is to say, it's no worse than PG-13, but Parental Guidance for gamers under 13 (OK, maybe under 11) might not be a bad idea.

Remove ads