• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Acts: Swordmage

Zsig

Explorer
Oh, finally!

My first impressions:

Frigid Blade: excelent option at higher lvls, I could see retraining Booming Blade for this one at mid-paragon tier.

Dimensional Thunder: level 1 teleport, basicly turns yourself into an AoE burst of lightning. Considering the other lvl1 dailies I quite like it.

Elemental Aegis: almost useless if you're a Shielding SM, it "negates" the same amount of damage as your Aegis (and replaces it too since it's also Immediate Interrupt) even though it lasts longer... I don't like it.

Incendiary Sword: Wizard's Scorching Burst on steroids. Nice for "aggro management" which the Swordmage lacks.

Shielding Fire: interesting...

Variable Defense: useless. I'd take Fear No Elements (which is lvl2) instead any day. Once you know what the enemy is using against you, there's no point to change the type... If the enemy has multiple sources he'll still use the one you're weak against. Being a minor action to change type doesn't help much.

Sleet Strike: another Defenderish sort of attack. Drops prone those who shift. I like it. Would be better if it wasn't Str.

Leaping Flame: I'm not sure if it's good or not, but it definitely looks fun! "remove leaping flames from the board" lmao. A pitty it's Implement power and attacks with Int vs. AC. (I think it should be vs. Ref)

Icy Sweep: is this really a lvl 9 daily? It would be weak even for a lvl 1 ... also having the damage linked to Constitution doesn't help, makes it worse.

Lightning Strider: weaker version of Bounding Lightning, not much to say about it, except, teleports are fun

Overall, not bad, I don't know what I was expecting though, heh.

Several powers use one stat to hit and another to damage, a different trend from what we see in the PHB. Kinda weird.

Last edited:

Just posted this on the wizards' boards but wanted to hear people's opinions over here.

How is Icy Sweep that much different from Transposing Lunge? I mean, both do pretty much the same thing, move a foe from one adjacent square to another.

Just a tiny problem, TL is an encounter power, lower level, AND can be used with AoS which lets you pull an enemy from across the battle field! I do realize that IS does half damage on a miss, but that doesn't make up for what it lacks compared to TL.

Am I missing something?

chaotix42

First Post
It would be cooler if Icy Sweep targeted Reflex. It would certainly fit the fluff a little better.

The two other 9th lvl daily spells are a lot nicer than Icy Sweep though. It really needs a buff of some sort.

Variable Defense is sweet, IMO. I find it interesting/cool that the swordmage has access to so much energy resistance. Really serves to set him apart from the fighter.

Last edited:

zillah

First Post
Frigid blade, dimensional thunder, and shielding fire are great...the rest kinda suck imo. It seems wizards is trying to actually build swordmages right and do it with int/con instead of int/str(wtf why?)
I hope more int/con powers come out. It would make swordmages that much more viable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads