D&D 5E Class ASIs - help with wording

clearstream

(He, Him)
Given a goal of transferring racial ASIs traits into class (please avoid debating that goal in this thread) is the following text clear in meaning? Is it robust? Or how might it be misinterpreted? Setting aside any misgivings about the intent, is it mechanically sound?

Non-stereotyped​

All racial Ability Score Increase traits are removed.

Class Ability Score Increase features​

The class you choose at 1st-level gains a new feature.

Artificer Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Constitution or Intelligence. Increase the chosen ability score by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Barbarian Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Strength, Dexterity or Constitution. Increase the chosen ability score by 1, and then increase any two ability scores by 1.

Bard Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase your Charisma by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Cleric Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase your Wisdom by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Druid Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase your Wisdom by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Fighter Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Strength or Dexterity. Increase the chosen ability score by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Monk Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase any one ability score by 1, and then increase any two ability scores by 1.

Paladin Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Strength or Charisma. Increase the chosen ability score by 1, and then increase any two ability scores by 1.

Ranger Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Strength, Dexterity or Wisdom. Increase the chosen ability score by 1, and then increase any two ability scores by 1.

Rogue Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase any one ability score by 1, and then increase any two ability scores by 1.

Sorcerer Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Constitution or Charisma. Increase the chosen ability score by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Warlock Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase your Charisma by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Wizard Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Increase your Intelligence by 2, and then increase a different ability score by 1.

Multiclassing​

When you gain a level in a class other than your first, you don't gain the 'Practice' feature of that class.

Barbarian Practice​

At 1st level, through practicing the arts and skills of your class, some of your ability scores improve. Choose Strength, Dexterity or Constitution. Increase the chosen ability score by 1, and then increase any two ability scores by 1.
Is the intent that the character can choose say, Strength to put their first increase in, then put one of the second increases into Strength as well? If that is the intent, it might be best to explicitly state it. Particularly for Monk.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Is the intent that the character can choose say, Strength to put their first increase in, then put one of the second increases into Strength as well? If that is the intent, it might be best to explicitly state it. Particularly for Monk.
The intent that spans all of them is that a score can be increased by at most 2 points. So for Monk, as you suppose, they might put a point into Strength and then a second point into Strength. On the other hand for Wizard, that free 1 point can't go into Intelligence.

I felt cautious of verbiage, but it seems like it might be worth a few extra lines to make that crystal clear.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think given your design intentions, the text is pretty clear.
  • Some get a +2, +1
  • Others get a +1, and two +1's, one of which could stack with the first +1.

I don't want to derail your thread, so I'll keep this under wraps:

If you insist on an ASI bump, why tie it to anything? Untie it from race and from class, and make it part of the Determine Ability Scores on page 12 of the PHB.

Just allow PCs to select their Ability Focus, and increase one ability score by 2 and a different ability score by 1, regardless of which method of ability score generation (rolling 4d6-L, standard array, or point-buy).

Again, @clearstream, I'm not knocking what you're doing, just offering an alternative. The idea of Ability Focus is your character has chosen during their development/upbringing/whatever to do something to make that ability better. For instance, suppose you use the standard array for your game, and want to be strong so put the 15 in STR, but don't want to be unwise even though I end up with a WIS 8. So, I can use the +1 in STR and +2 in WIS, getting a STR 16 and WIS 10.

Nothing tied to race or class, I could be any race and also any class which might want a high STR and average WIS (Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, or Rogue maybe...).

Remove ads