D&D 5E Class-based Ability Score Increases (revised proposal)

clearstream

(He, Him)
Other options are simple enough: increase point-buy points, bump up the standard array, roll 4d6-L seven times and keep the best six, arranging to taste. All of these options basically yield the same result as granting ASI bumps.
Bumping the standard array or increasing point-buy points will be okay for tables using those methods, but does not also support groups who prefer to randomise in some fashion. If one wants going forward to change the rules framework that supports all groups, its worth assaying designs like that I presented.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I think it's a bit overcomplicated. Something like "Distribute 3 points between ability scores, to a maximum of 2" is gonna do basically the same thing, but with less words.
Indeed, in assaying this design I am tackling that specific question - is it right to guide/focus some of the points into the specific abilities that a class is known for and needs? For instance, is Warlock a better class if it comes with a Charisma increase built into it - thus Warlock characters will less often fail to be strong at Warlock stuff - or is it better left up to each player to decide if a high Charisma is needed for their Warlock?

The design also raises the question - could the constraint add something to the feel of each class? Notice the narrowly constrained Wizard versus the unconstrained Rogue.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Indeed, in assaying this design I am tackling that specific question - is it right to guide/focus some of the points into the specific abilities that a class is known for and needs?
Well, yes, it is right, but there's already a pretty clear guide on what kind of abilities each class needs, right in the PHB in the quick character creation section of each class.

The design also raises the question - could the constraint add something to the feel of each class? Notice the narrowly constrained Wizard versus the unconstrained Rogue
I don't think so. There's hardly any reason to not pick INT when playing a Wizard, so even having broader choice isn't gonna help much.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
does not also support groups who prefer to randomise in some fashion.
If you are referring to rolling scores, I mentioned the 4d6-L rolled SEVEN times, keeping the best 6 totals. Mathematically, this equates to the ASI bumps IIRC--I don't have time to do the math all over again right now as we are playing Shadowrun in a couple hours and I need to continue prepping for the game.

And yet, some alternatives do not work! It's worth choosing a mechanic that works, one might think :)
The ones that do not work aren't my responsibility. I've given you options for each standard ability score generation method (rolling, standard array, and point-buy) that all match the RAW options with the ASI bumps and "work". If you choose to explore other alternatives, that's on you. ;)

clearstream

(He, Him)
If you are referring to rolling scores, I mentioned the 4d6-L rolled SEVEN times, keeping the best 6 totals. Mathematically, this equates to the ASI bumps IIRC--I don't have time to do the math all over again right now as we are playing Shadowrun in a couple hours and I need to continue prepping for the game.
An issue with that method is that it fails to work for groups that assign-as-rolled, and more crucially it doesn't work for points-buy or standard array. It continues to suffer exactly the problem I described.

The ones that do not work aren't my responsibility. I've given you options for each standard ability score generation method (rolling, standard array, and point-buy) that all match the RAW options with the ASI bumps and "work". If you choose to explore other alternatives, that's on you. ;)
Well, you did propose an alternative that does not work. At least, not under the test of - should work for groups that use random as well as for groups that use points-buy or arrays.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Well, yes, it is right, but there's already a pretty clear guide on what kind of abilities each class needs, right in the PHB in the quick character creation section of each class.
That's true, and I've been thinking about whether that covers it sufficiently well?
I don't think so. There's hardly any reason to not pick INT when playing a Wizard, so even having broader choice isn't gonna help much.
Assuming the Quick Build advice is good enough, one might switch to something like -

General Training
After determining your ability scores during character creation, increase any two scores by 1 and then any score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

A problem I have noticed is that for MAD and semi-MAD classes the Quick Build guide seems off the mark (or perhaps it is just hard to quickly explain the nuance of those classes?) An example is Paladin. It suggests boosting Charisma after Strength, but the picture in play is more nuanced. Strength needs to be at specific values, whereas Charisma needs to be as high as possible.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
A problem I have noticed is that for MAD and semi-MAD classes the Quick Build guide seems off the mark (or perhaps it is just hard to quickly explain the nuance of those classes?) An example is Paladin. It suggests boosting Charisma after Strength, but the picture in play is more nuanced. Strength needs to be at specific values, whereas Charisma needs to be as high as possible.
It does the job for new players, pretty well – paladin with maxed STR, then CHA, then CON is gonna work, unless the player wants a sex paladin, but I guess then they probably know enough of how the system works in order to spec the abilities effectively.

clearstream

(He, Him)
It does the job for new players, pretty well – paladin with maxed STR, then CHA, then CON is gonna work, unless the player wants a sex paladin, but I guess then they probably know enough of how the system works in order to spec the abilities effectively.
Saving throws against their spells and abilities, and their number of uses of some abilities, are based on Charisma. An extra +1 attack and damage is seldom going to beat that out, once they have the 15 needed for plate.

But yes, "pretty well" is about how well it does the job :)

clearstream

(He, Him)
Aside from that point - which probably we can agree on (I'm agreeing with you, broadly) - what do you think on the subject of Mountain Dwarfs, Half-Elves and especially Humans? Do they need compensation for the lost half to one-and-a-half ASIs?

Remove ads