Classes which need 2 stats to hit

phil500

First Post
So I am having a very hard time with the point buying, esp for classes whose powers are split over 2 abilities when it comes to landing shots.

Only 1 class/race can have both +2 apply to-hit, and thats the d-born palladin. But that is also the most MAD class anyways.

Taking 16,16 i find I can end up with a char (after racials) which has 18,16, and either 12,12 or 14, 12 (assuming a secondary stat gets a racial).

Or, I can dump one of the to-hit abilities and severely limit my in-class options, but take a 20 and have 2 nice secondary stats. For classes like the cleric, taking a 20 wis REALLY limits your choices, whereas taking 20 str leaves multiclassing options.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to use both ability scores. You can choose powers that only use Strength or powers that only use Charisma (the same is true of clerics).

Zurai

First Post
Eytan Bernstein said:
One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to use both ability scores. You can choose powers that only use Strength or powers that only use Charisma (the same is true of clerics).
I'd go so far as to say that it's intended for you to pick one ability score and cherry pick (if you pick any at all) from the powers that use the other score.

mneme

Explorer
Center: what did you have in mind? Looks to me like usually there -are- enough powers in the silo to dump secondary powers; the exceptions -- like a strength-based paladin (no Str attack at level 9 = sad paladin--though a Paly always has both Channel Divinity powers, so there's at least some reason to work on both stats as well as Wis) are comparatively rare.

Certainly, the Warlock has powers of both types at every level. Fighter, Rogue, Wiz, and Warlord make all their attacks with one stat, and while Ranger has some reason to want both, nearly all their powers work with either stat. So that leaves Cleric. Does the cleric have wis-only levels (they certainly don't have Str-only levels)?

Cadfan

First Post
Basically, you have two options.

1. Pick one stat and stick with it.
2. Do both stats at once.

If you do the first, I'd suggest putting an 18 (after racial mods) in the one you chose, and dumping the other. The put points in your "secondary bonus" stat, whatever it may be, and in whatever else you need to round out your defenses, meet feat prereqs, and whatever else you may need.

If you do the second, go with a 16/16 after racial modifiers. Make sure to keep at least one option to attack with each stat available at all times, because they generally target different defenses. Then spend the remaining points as usual.

There's also the option of picking a race that boosts both attack scores, but that's only available in a few rare cases. So a half elf star pact warlock might go 17/17, after racial modifiers, because that costs the same for them as going 18/16, and keeps things even.

Basically, you lose +1 attack and damage in exchange for diversity of targetable defenses, and usually diversity of effect riders on your attacks. Whether its worth it is totally your call.

Tony Vargas

Legend
phil500 said:
So I am having a very hard time with the point buying, esp for classes whose powers are split over 2 abilities when it comes to landing shots.
I'm sure it's been said, but you can just eschew one set of powers. Sure, it doesn't leave you with a lot of choices, but the idea is that you'll choose a 'build' and more or less stick to it. If one of your stats is notably lower than the other, you can pick only abilities that don't take attack rolls, or that target non-AC defenses (that tend to be a bit lower) if it's got highly desireable effects. A Reliable power would also be good for a less than stellar stat, but there aren't a lot of 'em.

Only 1 class/race can have both +2 apply to-hit, and thats the d-born palladin. But that is also the most MAD class anyways.
And the Half-Elven Warlock, BTW.

Zurai

First Post
Center-of-All said:
Well, yes, it's obviously intended for you to focus, but you can't dump either, there aren't enough powers in the silo for that.
Uh... yeah there are. On all the classes with dual primary stats, there's always at least 1 power at every tier for each primary stat. In almost all cases, there are 2 of each.

Xect

Explorer
Zurai said:
Uh... yeah there are. On all the classes with dual primary stats, there's always at least 1 power at every tier for each primary stat. In almost all cases, there are 2 of each.
Almost always. As someone mentioned, STR paladins at level 9 are out of luck.

FireLance

Legend
Xect said:
Almost always. As someone mentioned, STR paladins at level 9 are out of luck.
I'll cost you two feats, but you could multiclass into warlord and do a power swap.

Alternatively, if your DM is amenable, you could house-rule a Str-based 9th-level power, or replace your 9th-level power with another 5th-level power.

Remove ads