D&D 5E Classless Subclasses

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't see a way it could work, really. Subclasses are all tied to a class's existing power tree, and if you separate them, I see a tremendous potential for abuse and exploitation. I think the way 5e is designed, is to have this sort of customization done at the feat level, and not subclass level. Reference the martial feat as opposed to the battlemaster subclass.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't see a way it could work, really. Subclasses are all tied to a class's existing power tree, and if you separate them, I see a tremendous potential for abuse and exploitation. I think the way 5e is designed, is to have this sort of customization done at the feat level, and not subclass level. Reference the martial feat as opposed to the battlemaster subclass.

Yeah this is pretty much my take as well.

That said? I think it could be actually fun (something you won't hear me say often about 5e) to design race-specific subclasses for various main classes, particularly if you want to evoke some of the "race-as-class" feel from prior editions. For instance, perhaps Elves get a special subclass of Fighter that replaces their Eldritch Knight; call it a Bladesinger, make it blend subtler magics and have some other special thing it does; it's still a fighting-man subclass, but with the glamour and grace of Elves. Or perhaps take the Paladin and create an Oath of the Platinum Dragon: a special Dragonborn-only Oath that meshes their martial spirit with the nobility, hope, and wisdom of Bahamut. Similarly, people have mentioned how the Dragon Sorcerer is actually not that great for Dragonborn (non-stacking/redundant features, specifically), so perhaps a "True Dragon's Soul" alternative might work better, though on thinking about it that might be a better place for a feat. A Tiefling Warlock "racial subclass" might make sense as well, particularly if it enabled the "bladelock" archetype with less optimization overhead.

Old traditions like the Dwarven Defender and Gnome Illusionist make a lot of sense here, but you could push it in interesting newer directions as well, perhaps embracing things like the Dwarven Armored Wizard or...I dunno, a Half-Orc "Cleric of Rage" or something? (I'm not real big on race-as-class so it's hard to come up with ideas here.)

DJCupboard

Explorer
Yeah this is pretty much my take as well.

That said? I think it could be actually fun (something you won't hear me say often about 5e) to design race-specific subclasses for various main classes, particularly if you want to evoke some of the "race-as-class" feel from prior editions. For instance, perhaps Elves get a special subclass of Fighter that replaces their Eldritch Knight; call it a Bladesinger, make it blend subtler magics and have some other special thing it does; it's still a fighting-man subclass, but with the glamour and grace of Elves. Or perhaps take the Paladin and create an Oath of the Platinum Dragon: a special Dragonborn-only Oath that meshes their martial spirit with the nobility, hope, and wisdom of Bahamut. Similarly, people have mentioned how the Dragon Sorcerer is actually not that great for Dragonborn (non-stacking/redundant features, specifically), so perhaps a "True Dragon's Soul" alternative might work better, though on thinking about it that might be a better place for a feat. A Tiefling Warlock "racial subclass" might make sense as well, particularly if it enabled the "bladelock" archetype with less optimization overhead.

Old traditions like the Dwarven Defender and Gnome Illusionist make a lot of sense here, but you could push it in interesting newer directions as well, perhaps embracing things like the Dwarven Armored Wizard or...I dunno, a Half-Orc "Cleric of Rage" or something? (I'm not real big on race-as-class so it's hard to come up with ideas here.)
I think you might be on to something.

Mephistopheles

First Post
I'd like a little more clarification....like, what subclasses are you thinking about that would/could be open to all classes?

Psionics.

The idea of handling psionics as a universal subclass popped into my head while reading the thread about Mearl's question on psionics flavour yesterday.

It's based on the 1E version of psionics, where regular characters had a chance to have psionics. While it was fun in its own way it had its problems: it was a bit like a random free pseudomulticlass, and could end up being a boon or a liability. Handling it as a subclass in 5E that any class would take would replicate that feel of anyone being able to develop psionic ability, but also balance it as a subclass choice rather than a random element in addition to the standard class abilities; however, designing and balancing the subclass would present its own problems, as some have already pointed out.

Remove ads