Clerical spheres of influence

Ratskinner

Adventurer
My apologies if this is buried in another thread somewhere, and I failed to notice it.

I was looking over the playtest materials...it seems to me that the Clerics may have restricted spell lists depending on their deity. Perhaps a more tightly-controlled version of 2e's "spheres" or perhaps a more tightly-controlled playtest. :)

I kinda like it. Much harder to have a CoDzilla when your spell choices are restricted to a few per level. I'm not sure how it fits in with the whole "flexible clerics" thing, as in trading for stealth or whatever.

Anyway...could be nothing.

jadrax

Adventurer
Yes. This has been mentioned in passing before, but I don't think a thread has been made about it.

Will be interesting to see what spell-selection is like for Clerics when we get some char gen rules.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
It looks like a combination of 2e spheres and 3e domains, which I agree is a good thing.

Especially (but not only) if they keep spontaneous casting for clerics.

Gold Roger

First Post
The designers have mentioned that their current approach to domains is getting pretty close to spheres, but we have no idea how that'll work yet.

I hope and suspect that a first level cleric knows more spells than the playtest ones have prepared though. Otherwhise they're just divine sorcerers and the part about preparing spells at all would be superflous.

Remove ads