• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clint Eastwood is Star Wars is Clint Eastwood (is Star Wars.)

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Star Wars, in the original trilogy, is gritty for everyone not a part of the plot. If you're part of the plot (especially a PC) then you'll be okay. You might get roughed up, or even wounded occasionally, but in the grand pulp tradition you'll come through okay eventually. Just keep being heroic and cool (competent and smart are great if you can get them, but unnecessary) and you'll always get to come out on top.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Which I think is handled nicely in d6 Star Wars by Character Points and Fate Points. They are how "Main Characters" are differentiated from "Background Characters" since they give Main Characters(PC and major NPC) a degree of control over their fates beyond what their skills alone allow.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Which I think is handled nicely in d6 Star Wars by Character Points and Fate Points. They are how "Main Characters" are differentiated from "Background Characters" since they give Main Characters(PC and major NPC) a degree of control over their fates beyond what their skills alone allow.

Unless they are way better than every fate point system I'm familiar with (and they may be, I don't know), they can't come near the level of protection pulp-style stories provide.

Skill, luck, and planning just determine how badly main characters get hurt. The simple fact that the stories revolve around them keep the characters from getting crippled, killed, or executed when captured. No game system that actually allows for a PC to get killed can accurately emulate the style of the Star Wars movies, especially the original trilogy

That said, if you and yours are having fun then you're doing everything right. In the end, the fun is all that matters.

pawsplay

Hero
Star Wars Saga Edition has a lot of playability, but it definitely has its downsides, too. Characters are too durable. The system discourages improvisation and unusual tactics in combat. Multiclassing is practically required for many concepts, but is kind of a mess mechanically. Too many skill uses are "trained only" that should not be, from the evidence on-screen.

Honestly, with the advantage of time, I do not think SWSE is an improvement over the revised d20 rules, overall. The Revised Core Rulebook, despite its defects, offered a lot of flexibility and had a suitable level of deadliness. I often wish they had retooled SWSE into using a number of d20 Modern systems rather than what SWSE turned into. I find the Powers suite stifling and arbitrary, for all that it works about as well as any other system that prevents powers from being used absolutely constantly. Sometimes I wished I had kept my d20 stuff and simply added hit points back in and made a few other tweaks.

D6 Star Wars was pretty good, but as pointed out, tended to break down in games with multiple competent Jedi. While one Jedi could not outshine all non-Jedi in all respects, any one Jedi could outshine at least one other non-Jedi at their own game. Blasters were somewhat less deadly than expected, especially against Wookiees. In fact, a Wookiee's punch was more powerful than most blasters. I think a pretty good game could be made by retrofitting D6 Star Wars material to work with D6 Space.

A while back, I roughed out some Hero Star Wars stuff. Right now, I'm working on GURPS Star Wars...

Drowbane

First Post
While I don't remember WEG's d6 system all that clearly anymore, I do remember thinking it mechanically inferior to a number of other RPGs around at the time. I played it with my 2e AD&D group in the mid-late 90s and found it incredibly easy to "game" the system (a flaw with every point-buy system I've tried).

d20 SWs had a number of issues as well.... mainly class balance. I hated that Jedi had to choose between being a competent Force User and having a number of useful (non-force) skills.

I haven't yet gotten to play or run SAGA edition, but I have read through the core book a few times. It shows potential, one thing I'd bring back is Vitality/Wound. In Star Wars a crit should mean something.

Once I get some more system mastery with SAGA, I might bring in elements from the earlier d20 SW to fix a few bugs. But for the most part it seems to be the best version of SWRPG yet.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads