D&D 4E Cloth 4E Dark Sun Map - I have one

n'haaz-aua

Explorer
It should also be available at PAX - I look forward to running this event and seeing some hardcore DS fans get the very sweet cloth map!

That's good news! Hopefully other cons also.

Some spoiler free tips on the arenas: have fun with it and work the crowd because there is glory to be had. don't do the arenas in order. make your own character to bring, the pregens are so-so. use classes that aren't reliant on dailies, or who have dailies that last all encounter. 2 defenders and 2 healers didn't hurt in the tough ones. try not to die ;) and don't plan on more than one extended rest. plan on playing a lot! it will take a lot of sessions to build up the glory and if you mess one up, you have to play them all. remember, there is no "fairness" in Dark Sun.

With the exception of one that was sickeningly hard, they are really well done and have a great sense of the game world, its not just a regular cookie cutter arenas. I would highly recommend playing in it, its worth your time.

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
I love this map - wish they would sell the thing for 20-30 bucks - I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They should do a series of maps on cloth (call it Worlds of DND collector series or whatever) and release 1 every other month for

FR
Eb
Dragonlance
Planescape (and/or Greyhawk)
Dark Sun (duh)
Ravenloft
(and more if they sell well enough).

But what do I know.

Taren Nighteyes

the_amnesiac

First Post
Just got back from PAX, managed to get one of the cloth maps on the second day. Luckily at PAX they were only requiring 20 glory to get the map. We had a TPK in one of the tougher arenas. We only had four people for a six person encounter, and I was the only one with any glory rewards at that point. We almost scraped through with a victory, but we just didn't have the damage output necessary to kill off the solo.

It was great fun, though, and I signed up to DM next year.

psimage

First Post
We took home a couple of the cloth maps from PAX on Friday. Very classy. The artwork is fantastic, and I expect we'll be using them for years to come.

The arenas themselves were a lot of fun, very on-theme. Only a couple of them were particularly difficult.

If they end up running this event again, here's my advice:

-Bring your own characters, the pregens are really iffy.
-Plan to use 0-1 extended rests, or 3-4. There are a few dailies worth using (we did Armor of Agathys and Form of Mountain's Thunder), and they can really trivialize some of the challenges.
-Spirit Infusion is Ba-ro-ken.

Here's to hoping more DS fanboys and girls can take this map home!

Alphastream

Adventurer
I really can't congratulate those that earned the cloth map enough. I gave out some serious beatdowns at PAX as a DS Arena judge (all courtesy of some very tough encounter design).

I judged all seven arenas and was really impressed by how tables responded. Almost every table I ran was a come-from-behind victory where the players gritted their teeth and fought back to win. I did run one TPK (Tyr) and one that run out of time (Urik). My runs of Draj and Nibenay were nail biters.

PAX judges used a map tile set one volunteer for Gen Con (Will Mathies) had made - this was a huge boon and he deserves an immense thank you. The authors (including notables like Shawn Merwin and Eric Menge) also deserve accolades. PAX judges received a cloth map for their efforts. As a huge DS fan, this was an incredible reward. It is one of my prized possessions.

korton01

First Post
As to coordinator at GenCon and PAX for the Dark Sun Arena, I can say these maps are very very very very limited. I believe the grand total sum of 500 were printed. New York Comic Con will be the last chance to get it I am sure, seeing as after PAX and GenCon maybe less then 100 were left in the box. So I want to issue a hearty congrats to those that won it through some hard fought battles in the arena. And I also want to thank all the DMs that made the Event awesome at both Cons.

And why would you ever sell it...why?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases