• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

Gansk

Explorer
PJSlavner said:
According to the rules, a creature is not defeated if is incapacitated by an ability being damaged or drained down to zero. What if the creature that drained the ability cannot actually do any hit point damage? Would that be a draw? The reason I am asking is because the thought eater cannot do damage, but might render its opponent incapacitated.

I think you found a loophole in the rules. I wanted to include monsters that did ability damage even if they didn't do physical damage, but I also wanted bloodthirsty combat to the death.

I will amend the rules to allow a victory if any ability is made zero.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I would amend it to any ability made zero AND the opponent cannot (or does not) take an action for one full round. I can imagine the case where someone has a 0 strength and yet can use a special ability (be it psionics or whatever).

Gansk

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
I would amend it to any ability made zero AND the opponent cannot (or does not) take an action for one full round. I can imagine the case where someone has a 0 strength and yet can use a special ability (be it psionics or whatever).

Ok, done.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Dagnabit. It almost had my general - but then I noticed that Complete Warrior wasn't a valid source for PrCs, so the Hulking Hurler builds were out. Sigh. I guess I'll actuall have to work at it.

:LOL:

Greybar

No Trouble at All
BTW, I like the CR18 -> CR21 restriction. It means that we can tune a general, but not really built it from scratch. That'll help keep (what I perceive) as a light approach to things.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Greybar said:
BTW, I like the CR18 -> CR21 restriction. It means that we can tune a general, but not really built it from scratch. That'll help keep (what I perceive) as a light approach to things.
I definitely agree. Even though CN has probably the worst high-level creatures to choose from. :)

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Ic

As the dispassionate voice finishes echoing over the Club's loudspeakers, the dim presence looks up startled. It turns around and hurries over to the anouncement board where the host is posting another formal anouncement.

You can't quite make out what the two are discussing, but it seems to be about the wording of the announcement in some manner. Given the group he's associated with, you guess it's about "sacrificing" sentient beings.

==
OOC

The IC portion is mostly tongue in cheek, here. However, it did point out something else. To wit - LG has only LOST 3 times, not 8. By definition, a tie/draw is neither a win nor a loss.

And that raised another question that's been floating in the back of my mind, something that's not mentioned in the rules, and since I'm not a watcher of any kind of sport, something I'm not sure of.

How is advancement determined? Win Ratio (Win/Total)? Win/Loss? CR Ratio (CR Won/CR total)? Some other arcane formula?

On a different note entirely...
Suppose Monster A uses some tactic that inflicts damage on itself to defeat Monster B. Further suppose that both monsters end up in the negatives after A's tactic.

A vs B HP....A take vs Deal.... Winner
A > B........... T > D........
.................. T = D........
.................. T < D........
A = B........... T > D........
A < B........... T > D........

In particular, the reason this popped into my mind was that I briefly considered the "Death from Above" tactic actually be the homunculus falling onto the beetle from the ceiling. If it had hit, the beetle would take Nd6+Wd6 damage vice the 'munc's Nd6. For simplicity's sake, let say the 'munc weighs between 6-10 pounds (about the weight of a housecat). Falling from 120', the 'munc would take 12d6, and deal 14d6 to the beetle. Or at least, that's the formula I remember.

The 3.5 SRD doesn't really address the issue, and I suppose it could reasonably be argued that the 'munc takes 12d6 and the beetle 2d6. Or that they both take 2d6 or both take 12d6.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Ooc

IMO, If you sacrifice yourself to defeat your opponent, at best you obtain a draw. There should be no benefit to suicide bombing and, more importantly, to win you must survive to meet the next combatant (though you could die later due to ongoing energy damage, poison damage, etc.), but that just makes an easy win for the next opponent.

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

Regarding the lost/sacrifice issue, I think the word "sacrifice" in the announcement is appropriate, as the monsters have been lost to the cause of the Battle, whether they lost or drew in combat is irrelevant to the general's decision to throw another monster out in the arena.

I'm not sure about the advancement question, maybe I addressed it when I answered Greybar's question in the Scoreboard thread.

I agree with I2K, I'm not sure how a suicide run accomplishes anything more than a draw, so I don't know why the homunculus would get the urge to do it. As far as calculating damage, I could go through the exercise, but I don't think it would be in the homunculus's favor.

Remove ads