Coaltongue TPK

ediz

Explorer
So, I am running the 1st module for the fourth time and at this point a TPK is more than likely. (Where the PCs get killed by the halfling and the engineers before everything else happens)

How should I run a continuation if the players want to continue. I figure a reincarnated Stanfield would send the new party to Axis Island. The meeting would include Jierre, Stanfield and Saxby. I would think most people would be against the Duchess' ascendency to the throne. Because she was on the ship. The big question is with Aodhan, Lee and all of the other major characters, who would step in to be the new king and such. I think Everything will be ok until adventure 5 when things may get a bit dicey.

Any suggestions?

hirou

Explorer
IIRC Nigel Price-Hill is "default" successor of the throne. Lee, being who he is, will probably survive the inferno one way or another, he may spent some time getting together but will probably be back before the end of the year (choose a timepoint for dramatic reveal as you deem appropriate). Both Jierre and Stanfield are definitely against duchess on the throne, so the second part of the adventure may be unsanctioned covert operation instead of "secret diplomatic mission" as by default.

More bold move would be Stanfield taking up the king position. He definitely has the ambition, he has the support of Risur's industry, and the operation against duchess may gain him favor of some nobles. Basically, you may have the party be personal constables of Stanfield right from the start... This will sure turn interesting closer to adventure 8.

If you want to avoid a TPK, I dunno, maybe Delft comes down the stairs because he's worried the PCs are going to embarrass him by not bringing the Duchess, and he can at least deal with the immediate threat of whoever's stabbing the party. If you do that, the party can still have a chance to save the day by undoing the sabotage.

al_fredo

First Post
Do you have a party of one?

Kidding aside, I remember those engineers being easy -as well as the halfing and Sokana. I'm pretty sure TPK on the first fight of the campaign is not the best intro. And were not talking about the ship exploding, the TPK is happening (or happened) just with the enemies? I'd be interested to know what happened. If you've run it this many times, you probably know without me saying that you can manage your way out of a TPK if you the DM...and it should really only happen if it makes sense to the story. I don't know if I want to continue the campaign with a party wipe on the very first fight.

As for a king...you could make it a brother or cousin or something.

ediz

Explorer
Well, the biggest factor had to be that the party didn't cooperate with each other, they split themselves up. Took 3 rounds to break the door in. Sokana conjured the sprites, the sprites took down the Alchemist almost took down the swashbuckler. Once the other two kicked in the door, Ilton rolled a crit and confirmed brought the oracle to 0, the monk missed his AOO on Ilton, he ran off. They then decided that splitting the party was a bad idea. and went to help with the sprites. It took them another 3 rounds to handle the sprites. Where Sokana threw the gem into the furnace. the engineers welded the door shut. one engineer moved to seal the pressure valves. The now revived Alchemist went down to stop the engineers. The engineer Jenner scored a crit on her bringing her to 0. The rest followed. At this point I had Sokana jump ship feeling secure that her mission would succeed. The rest of the party showed, the second engineer battered the swashbuckler unconscious, at this point the monk is facing the two engineers and the rogue.

Ah, first level Pathfinder.

Have the engineers run (well, withdraw, technically). They figure the ship is bound to blow up, so why stick around and risk dying? Or yeah, Delft ex Machina, if you don't think the party would mind their bacon being saved.

Remove ads