• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Codifying Weapons

Yunru

Banned
Banned
As is, adding thrown and light don't require die costs. I would probably keep it this way. However they also don't seem to change the price of the item (which admittedly becomes trivial quickly), which I would change.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So here's the thing, say you "fixed" the trident by making it 1d8, but keeping thrown. Would that be reasonable? I'd worry everyone would want to use a trident since thrown is (probably?) more often useful than versatile.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So here's the thing, say you "fixed" the trident by making it 1d8, but keeping thrown. Would that be reasonable? I'd worry everyone would want to use a trident since thrown is (probably?) more often useful than versatile.
Yes, although personally I'd bring back High Crit and give it that.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Okay, I cleaned up the formatting a bit, and even made it easy to transition into previous edition's "Exotic" weapons.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So to make an example of the new tier, here's a Spiked Chain:

Spiked Chain:
Alien Martial Melee Two-Handed Weapon
2d6 Slashing damage, Heavy, Reach, Finesse

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yes, although personally I'd bring back High Crit and give it that.
I'd been thinking of leaving it at the damage and properties it has in the book, but adding a new special property to it reminiscent of the Skewer trait it was given in the BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia weapon master rules (which allowed the wielder to choose to leave the weapon stuck in a hit creature, and would deal damage each round until the trident was worked loose).

Haven't had a player express interest in a trident-wielding character, so I haven't pulled the trigger on working out how I would actually implement the idea.

Remove ads