D&D 5E Coldblood — Streamlined survival rules for 5E

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Okay, my publisher subscription have finally come through (God, I hate paypal). So, here's my last D&D related work: Coldblood - Survival guide to frozen wasteland of Icewind Dale
1607252246089.png

This supplement is both easy to learn and to implement to your game of Rime of the Frostmaiden.
It brings up the themes of cold, horror, and dealing with these problems on your adventures,
which the adventure itself unfortunately failed to do properly.

- Adriana Weaver, editor of D&D and You channel

What's inside:
  • Streamlined rules for resource and distance tracking.
  • Revamped rest mechanics aimed to create contrast between the wilderness and civilization.
  • New creature statblocks and one cool template for things that lurk in the snow.
  • Valuable advice for both players and game masters.

Oh, cool, yet another stupid homebrew with a ton of stuff to track, right? Wrong. No one wants to track tons of things, me included. That's exactly why I'm writing this. You're gonna track exactly one resource. One number, probably single-digit.

Cool, right?

The basic idea is simple: merge everything together into a one neat resource. Light sources, food, money, adventuring gear — everything one'd need to traverse perilous wilds of Icewind Dale — is tied up together, and treated interchangeably.

Wait, so you suggest that money just magically transforms into food or torches or whatever? That's unrealistic! Go and play GURPS. Steve Jackson would probably be happy to see someone buy something that is not Munchkin, do the old man a favor.

1607259371827.png

And a special thing for ENWorld forum: 100% discount link (only first 5 people, sorry, hurry up)

Last edited:

loverdrive

For those, who've grabbed a free copy (well, and everyone else) -- don't forget to leave review after 24 hours pass.

I'm not begging for 5 stars, but for a honest feedback, as it will allow for future improvements, so text reviews are way more preferable than just slapping X stars.

loverdrive

Also a little sneak peak, because why not
1607276993637.png

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
For those, who've grabbed a free copy (well, and everyone else) -- don't forget to leave review after 24 hours pass.

I'm not begging for 5 stars, but for a honest feedback, as it will allow for future improvements, so text reviews are way more preferable than just slapping X stars.
I'll leave this over at DMsGuild later, too.

I enjoy the conversational writing. It reminds me of a DM walking me through the rules as we sit at the table preparing to play. Some may not like this, wanting instead a more traditional dry tone of writing. Maybe a couple sidebars describing the rules would be better than having them as an appendix.

I have curiosity about how the PHB Packs and the one you describe interact. Converting the PHB Packs into their load value is one of the first things I will do.

ANY way that increases the value of STR (also INT, but that's not applicable in this ruleset) is valuable to me.

When my next group of players (during the pandemic I'm 95% player) adventures in a harsh land (frozen tundra, volcanic wastes, deserts) we'll be using your rules. The individual and group Load simplify things quite a bit, while still putting characters at risk in environmental conditions.

loverdrive

Thank you for your feedback!

I have curiosity about how the PHB Packs and the one you describe interact. Converting the PHB Packs into their load value is one of the first things I will do.
Well, I see it as they're counted as a fully loaded pack

I enjoy the conversational writing. It reminds me of a DM walking me through the rules as we sit at the table preparing to play. Some may not like this, wanting instead a more traditional dry tone of writing. Maybe a couple sidebars describing the rules would be better than having them as an appendix.
Maybe, I guess. Appendix is intended to be a printable quick reference point, where everything is in one place (that's why the font there is much smaller)

buggeyedbob

Villager
Thank you! I bought this on the DM's guild last week and am going to implement it this week into my Rime campaign. One question I've been considering though - I have an artificer in my group who just brought up the idea of using an infusion to create a bag of holding as a 'work around'. He's open to nerfing or adjusting the BoH for this purpose, but thought I'd see if you had any ideas on it.

loverdrive

Thank you! I bought this on the DM's guild last week and am going to implement it this week into my Rime campaign. One question I've been considering though - I have an artificer in my group who just brought up the idea of using an infusion to create a bag of holding as a 'work around'. He's open to nerfing or adjusting the BoH for this purpose, but thought I'd see if you had any ideas on it.
I'm pulling this outta my ass, but I'd rule that BoH gives 10 additional slots. Bag of Holding is kinda big deal, so I think a hefty bonus would work.

Just keep in mind that it's a thing that can get lost in the harsh frozen wasteland :)

Just curious, did you mean "latest" instead of "last?" I believe what you wrote is grammatically correct (not my expertise though), but it leaves the impression you never making anything for D&D ever again. I assume that is not the case?
No, of course not. I'm working on a monster book right now.

buggeyedbob

Villager
I'm pulling this outta my ass, but I'd rule that BoH gives 10 additional slots. Bag of Holding is kinda big deal, so I think a hefty bonus would work.

Just keep in mind that it's a thing that can get lost in the harsh frozen wasteland :)
Love it! Yeah I was thinking about just giving it the additional uses, plus if they want to dedicate an infusion slot to BoH, there's an opportunity cost there too.

Remove ads