Collaborative storytelling RPG, is it a thing?

The longer I DM, the more I realize that I am happier with fewer rules mechanics and less die rolling and more storytelling. Admittedly, it's not a style everyone prefers. I'm DMing and playing a lot of 5e right now and enjoying the opportunity it affords me to wing it. There are days, however, when even the 5e rules set feels too constricting. The more I think about it, the more I think what I most want is an RPG that uses collaborative storytelling between players and DM, with almost no die rolling. I've gamed using 2e, 3e, 3.5, Eberron, Pathfinder, 5e, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Shadowrun, d20 Modern, and Castles and Crusades. Of these, I am probably most familiar with the 3.x rules. The set of rules I like best, however, is 5e.

Is there a collaborative storytelling type of RPG that uses almost no die rolling? If so, have you played it and what's your take on its viability?

malcolypse

First Post
http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/

I completely agree with the statement, "I have never had a bad game of Fiasco." I have played about a half dozen times and it's always pleases. Not something I'd really want to play with strangers, but with friends it is a great way to weave a gloriously chaotic story.

My recommendation is to watch the Tabletop episodes and afterwards you'll be chomping at the bit to play this game.

Thanks for the link. I listened the Wheaton's Table clip. It was pretty cool. I think this'd work with, as you say, good friends who meet for a tabletop session. Any idea if the game mechanics could be used for classic fantasy, or are they truly best suited for a Modern-esque game? I think it would be tricky to play Fiasco in a play-by-post environment, though...even with good friends.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At a recent gameday, I got to try "Odyssey: Journey and Change". This one is arguably more storytelling than roleplaying, and it is focused specifically of creating a story of a journey - we did "post apocalypse survivors from a hidden submarine go ashore to find civilization".

This game is not focused on "players try to find a way to succeed at challenges using a mechanic". Play is focused on determining how characters change as a result of going through events. Players will spend a lot of time in what some will call "author stance", as while one player may be more experienced and facilitate play, there is no GM, per se.

http://odysseygame.net/

Balesir

Adventurer
Is there a collaborative storytelling type of RPG that uses almost no die rolling? If so, have you played it and what's your take on its viability?
Yes, there are actually quite a few. I will say, though, that I have found that thinking you want few/no rules for collaborative storytelling is an illusion/trap. I have found collaborative storytelling works far better with very firm and exact rules - albeit ones very different from "traditional" roleplaying.

As a few suggestions, take a look at these:

Universalis RPG: might be a bit extreme for a first foray - there is no GM and it's definitely a "storybuilding" game. Immersive play is difficult to impossible. It is the quintessential epitome of collaborative storytelling, though - almost as if it were designed to be just that...

The Pool: about as stripped down an RPG as you can get, and free (the link should take you straight to the PDF). Simple but strict mechanism designed to bring you straight to the story.

Dungeon World: if you want a traditional, dungeoneering theme but some very story-focussed mechanics, check this out.

PrimeTime Adventures: if you can find it... A third edition was kickstarted last year (and backers got their game - I know 'cos I was one), but the Dog Eared Designs website seems to be down... Basically a roleplaying game of making the best TV series that never was. Simple, innovative, tight rules to drive a collective story; an early storytelling game, but still one of the best.

Torchbearer: another dungeon crawl themed stroytelling game by the maker od Burning Wheel (which is also worth checking).

FATE Core: A bit more traditional in structure, but with some good handles for players to grab hold of the story with. Genre neutral, more or less.

Others have mentioned Fiasco, and there's more GM-centric stuff like Sorceror and a whole basket of topic-specific games, too, but these listed will probably get you under way if you read around them (most of the sites above point to reviews, etc.).

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Thanks for the link. I listened the Wheaton's Table clip. It was pretty cool. I think this'd work with, as you say, good friends who meet for a tabletop session. Any idea if the game mechanics could be used for classic fantasy, or are they truly best suited for a Modern-esque game? I think it would be tricky to play Fiasco in a play-by-post environment, though...even with good friends.

Read up on the actual mechanics before asking a question like this. The mechanics (what few there are) are incredibly simple and have almost nothing directly to do with the setting. Further, there's no attributes or skills to speak of, so don't think of this as an RPG, it's far more like a movie emulator. Specifically the kind of movie the Cohen Brothers are so good at making. If you have characters with powerful ambition and poor impulse control, you have a game of Fiasco. The setting is basically irrelevant to the mechanics in play, but the setting is vital to the set-up of the game and the creation of the relationship web, which is where the real fun is. The "setting books" for Fiasco are called playsets, and there's a couple of free ones over here. There are a few fantasy playsets.

Most games are tricky in a PbP environment, Fiasco is no different. But it's a lot simpler to manage and deal with as PbP than something like D&D, GURPS, Hero, FFG's Star Wars, and many other heavier games. Fiasco is a crazy super-light game that's about 2% rules and 98% collaborative storytelling. If you can make regular enough posts to keep any RPG going in a PbP environment, you can play Fiasco in a PbP environment.

There are also games like Primetime Adventures, which is all about creating a convincing replica of a television show. Then there's Shock: Social Science Fiction, which is all about the fun and wild worlds of soft science fiction. There's also games like The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which is all about competitive... erm, exaggeration. Then there's games like Microscope and Kingdom, which are a bit more involved so you should read up on them. There are also dice games, such as Rory's Story Cubes, and card games, such as Once Upon a Time.

In short, yes. There's quite a few collaborative storytelling games.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link, [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]. I'll check that out this evening after work.

Yes, there are actually quite a few.
Thanks, Balesir, I don't know what I expected when I posted to inquire about ideas for collaborative rpgs, but I'm sure it wasn't the treasure trove of suggestions you make here. I'll check all of them out. If I see something that I think fits the bill, I'll post here to say.

Read up on the actual mechanics before asking a question like this.
Thanks to you as well, overgeeked. I don't agree, however, that a person should read up on mechanics before asking a question. The point of the thread was to crowdsource the question. There's a lot of good knowledge that EN Worlders have that I don't, and I enjoy hearing everyone's perspectives. The point of EN World, generally, is to enjoy discussion about rpgs and, I think, to help one another with ideas. Are you involved with Fiasco? You've given a number of good suggestions, so thanks for those. The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen looks like something I should check out.

Balesir

Adventurer
The mechanics (what few there are) are incredibly simple and have almost nothing directly to do with the setting.
I would say "go easy on the newbie", but also this bit about genre is spot on. We played Fiasco set in the Hârnic city of Golotha, and it was a blast. If I say my character ended up bound to one of the supports under the Northaven Wharf, waiting for the meat-eating crabs to come in with the tide, you'll get the essentials...

How could I forget that?! Time to dig it out for the Con I'm going to this weekend...
[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] - you are welcome, and as you see there's a whole sea of stuff out there. Find a bit of water where the temperature is right for you and the currents suit you, and have a swim :)

Remove ads