• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Collectors series miniatures

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
According to GF9's site, you can order these sets online or you can (or will) be able to get them from selected retailers.

If, like me, you live in London, England, you'll probably have to get them online. Theoretically, there are a couple of stores in London that (will) sell them, but GF9 obviously didn't do their homework. They just assumed that meant a London catchment area. It doesn't. Just because a store is technically in London, doesn't mean you can get to it easily from most of the city. I'm very lucky that one of the stores is a walking distance from my place, but if you're in the wrong part of town, it could take you 60 - 90 minutes to get to one of these stores. That may be a timeframe that's considered normal in the US, but not in the UK. Even if you can afford the time, the cost of public transport/petrol alone would put a lot of people off. There are stores in central London that sell RPGs. GF9 might want to consider selling to them as well.

Oh, you Londoners! You're so hard done by!

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Thanks. At that price the Beholder is a maybe for me. It's pricey, but definitely a centerpiece mini.

I do wonder how many pieces it has though.

Edit: Just checked. Looks like it is 12 pieces, which is a lot for 1 mini!

Where do you see the piece work, and, are there pictures of the sprues?

I would think that a lot of those pieces are for eye stalks (at least 8 shown), plus one for the lower jaw, and maybe counting one for the base and maybe one for the stand. I have no idea about the rest.

I wonder how the sizes of the Eye Tyrant and Scoundrels of Skullport compare (both have Beholders; one blue and one red!)

The Behir and Umber Hulk are sweet! (I have a soft spot for monster figures.) I really like the Behir.

Here is the dragon link: http://www.atomicempire.com/item.aspx?item=161907&

Does anyone have alternate links? I'm not spamming for Atomic Empire, that's just where I found the links.

Thx!

TomB

Where do you see the piece work, and, are there pictures of the sprues?

I would think that a lot of those pieces are for eye stalks (at least 8 shown), plus one for the lower jaw, and maybe counting one for the base and maybe one for the stand. I have no idea about the rest.

I wonder how the sizes of the Eye Tyrant and Scoundrels of Skullport compare (both have Beholders; one blue and one red!)

The Behir and Umber Hulk are sweet! (I have a soft spot for monster figures.) I really like the Behir.

Here is the dragon link: http://www.atomicempire.com/item.aspx?item=161907&

Does anyone have alternate links? I'm not spamming for Atomic Empire, that's just where I found the links.

Thx!

TomB

Sorry, I may have misspoke, it was the original Eye Tyrant that is 12 pieces. That said it wouldn't surpise me if this one was 12 pieces too. If you assume 8 eyes, 1 jaw, 1 stand and 2 for the body, that sounds plausible. That's still a lot of pieces though.

I've not seen pics of a sprue or anything like that.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
According to GF9's site, you can order these sets online or you can (or will) be able to get them from selected retailers.
I've had no trouble ordering any of these minis, although I am geographically disadvantaged, so I only ever buy D&D stuff online. Gale Force Nine have their own online store here. Although GF9 themselves are based in the US, their parent company (Battlefront Miniatures) is a New Zealand company, and my online orders have shipped from there. Despite that, the postage costs have been extremely reasonable, much less than I pay for similar sized packages from the US.

Also, I get the impression that everyone thinks this is a new line of minis. Probably because the Wizards_DnD account retweeted: "First looks at new Dungeons & Dragons Collector’s Series Miniatures from GF9" recently. It's not a new product line. The first two sets (Illithid Raiding Party and Purple Worm) came out in May 2013. That tweet was just meant to highlight the two latest releases in the line (Anton Marivald and Kessel's Band).

Holy Bovine

First Post

If, like me, you live in London, England, you'll probably have to get them online. Theoretically, there are a couple of stores in London that (will) sell them, but GF9 obviously didn't do their homework. They just assumed that meant a London catchment area. It doesn't. Just because a store is technically in London, doesn't mean you can get to it easily from most of the city. I'm very lucky that one of the stores is a walking distance from my place, but if you're in the wrong part of town, it could take you 60 - 90 minutes to get to one of these stores. That may be a timeframe that's considered normal in the US, but not in the UK. Even if you can afford the time, the cost of public transport/petrol alone would put a lot of people off. There are stores in central London that sell RPGs. GF9 might want to consider selling to them as well.

I would think postage costs and wait time for delivery would be much higher than public transit and a 90 minute drive.

Also can't any store petition GF9 to sell to them? I mean - why wouldn't GF9 want to sell to as many people as possible?

I would think postage costs and wait time for delivery would be much higher than public transit and a 90 minute drive.

Oh, Americans... postage costs in the UK are very frequently much lower than long journeys on public transport in London, especially when you factor in going there AND back again.

I mean, most places are going to charge anywhere between £0 and about £8 for postage if it's not some huge heavy thing, and even then, if it's an expensive (i.e. £50, which is about $85 right now), it's very likely postage will be free. Even next-day delivery is often in the single-digit £ range (and again, sometimes free on expensive purchases).

Whereas travelling to say, Leisure Games for me (no idea if they're stocking it, just mentioning them as they're a premier London games shop), would take about 90 minutes each way (so 3hrs total minimum) AND cost, well, somewhere north of £10, there and back again (hilariously, even when I lived far nearer to LG, physically, like several miles, the journey time and price were nearly the same, bloody Hackney transport links... Now I live south of the river, of course, barely even a real person any more!).

Basically you don't want to actually go to most hobby games stores in London unless you feel a need to browse, or want a product RIGHT NOW (and in that case you better phone and make them hold it), rather than, like, tomorrow.

Zander

Explorer

About the postage cost, I'm not so sure. I don't know how much GF9 charge for delivery, but these sets are plastic so probably don't weigh that much. Duty, VAT and the Post Office's additional £8 charge could make it quite expensive but if it slips through without having to pay duty/VAT/PO charges which is entirely possible and GF9 sends at cost, it could be less than the £10+ it costs to cross London and back by public transport.

In terms of time, of course, you'd have to wait longer than 180 minutes (= 90 there + 90 back) for your order to arrive. But online ordering only takes a few minutes so the buyer's time expenditure is small compared to going to one of the stores.

Also can't any store petition GF9 to sell to them? I mean - why wouldn't GF9 want to sell to as many people as possible?

Don't know. It could be an exclusivity deal, i.e. GF9 promises that no store within X distance will also be selling these.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
That is a nice piece of art. Who did it?

Jeff Easley.

Here is another of his from the same adventure, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

tumblr_m3380ypiJ31ro2bqto1_r1_500.jpg

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Some of these seem a little high ($20 for a single tiefling) but others look like a good deal (Lloth and that Illithid Hunting Party especially). The detail level is amazing (as expected with resin) I just wonder how easy assembly is - that was always a killer for me - my thick clumsy fingers can barely handle a paint brush. Small delicate pieces just distergrate in my hands it seems :(

Tiefling is 2 figures. Farideh and a demon/devil of some kind.

Normally they are $10 per medium figure. The $50 figures are usually huge.

Remove ads