D&D 5E College of Mime

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Anything glaringly unbalanced here?

Also the word dumbstruck. Is it OK to use or not? Can replace with speechless if required.

Cheers for your time and replies.

Attachments

• College of Mime.docx
    363.4 KB · Views: 73

Mad_Jack

Legend
Third level, you might want to change the text to indicate that it only applies to Performance checks involving movement/mime - no reason being a mime should give you an auto take-10 on a check to play any instrument but the air-guitar.

Stormonu

Legend
6th level ability seems ...sad. Considering several abilities/classes give Telepathy, Thieves Cant, or Druidic out of the gate, this should probably be a ribbon 3rd level ability. It isn't more powerful than say, message.

I would suggest some illusion-based ability at 6th - the ability to "mime" an object into existence or defy physics/logic with an interesting ability. An ability to render others unable to make noise might be interesting as well. <Edit, missed this possible in Dumbstruck Enactment. However, for a 14th level ability, it seems weak as it's replicating either Web or Silence, usable once per long rest. It should either be usable more often or strengthened up to a once-a-day 7th level spell quality - maybe restrained + silenced + ongoing psychic damage if maintained>.

Hypnotic Performance might be a better name for Dumbstruck Enactment.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
6th level ability seems ...sad. Considering several abilities/classes give Telepathy, Thieves Cant, or Druidic out of the gate, this should probably be a ribbon 3rd level ability. It isn't more powerful than say, message.

I would suggest some illusion-based ability at 6th - the ability to "mime" an object into existence or defy physics/logic with an interesting ability. An ability to render others unable to make noise might be interesting as well. <Edit, missed this possible in Dumbstruck Enactment. However, for a 14th level ability, it seems weak as it's replicating either Web or Silence, usable once per long rest. It should either be usable more often or strengthened up to a once-a-day 7th level spell quality - maybe restrained + silenced + ongoing psychic damage if maintained>.

Hypnotic Performance might be a better name for Dumbstruck Enactment.
Thank you for these suggestions. I'm glad I'm underpowering it so far.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I would suggest some illusion-based ability at 6th - the ability to "mime" an object into existence or defy physics/logic with an interesting ability.

I'd second this - reference the illusionist's 14th-lvl ability: Perhaps the character can use their action (or reaction) to mime the use of an object, which allows them to act as though they actually possessed the real item (and could use it as if it were real for all purposes) until the end of their next turn...
Although you might want to limit it to have the "object" unable to directly cause damage or force a person or creature to make a saving throw.
Perhaps anyone affected by the object who might be damaged or forced to make a save can make a save to be unaffected by it.

Remove ads