Commentary thread for that “Describe your game in five words” thread.

niklinna

satisfied?
Well, it started off with a very standard Arthurian moment. My knight had just won a small tournament when a mysterious Green Knight showed up and offered battle, which I naturally accepted. The Green Knight handily put me on my back, but I managed to knock off his helmet, revealing him to be some sort of vegetable-man, a parsnip in this case. He then fled and we pursued. Eventually I slew him in glorious hand to hand combat
dr-smith-celery.jpg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
"They bravely ran away, away..."

First time I've ever had a D&D group run from a fight. Telegraphed that there were two groups of enemies. The players knew how many in at least one group. Decided to charge the group. The enemies screamed and call for backup. The PCs tore through half the first batch before the second batch showed up. So the PCs ran. This is mostly because they went nova and blew all their spells taking down the first group. Then when the second showed up they bolted. There might be hope for these players yet.

Yoh-01

Explorer
Swords of the Serpentine: Undead, ghosts, and a seagull.

Session 2 and conclusion of our Bookhounds of Eversink's first adventure. They get into that old noble's manor, who is sick too. Our priest/scholar/sorcerer sways the guard with his worship sphere.
They manage to find a secret passage to the labyrinthine vaults and to find their way thanks to Spirit sight, led by where the veil with the Underworld is thinner.
On their way, they meet a zombie (with a seagull in his belly), who gets to scare the hell out of the priest. However our sorceress uses her Necromancy sphere to control the creature and uses a corruption point to turn him into her lackey (and she fails and internalized corruption roll, resulting in serpent-slit eyes).
Finally, they get to that empty chamber (full of ghosts chanting actually), and they book they were looking for at the center.
An hollowed in the form of a gondolier for the undead. Our priest sways the ghosts around to bring them back to the cult of Denari (and turns half a dozen of them into his fan-ghosts), but is badly swayed in return by the Hollowed. So our duellist jumps into the action and maims the creature badly, sending it back to nothingness.
They get the book and give it back to the University library. They're paid and they request access to another heretical book, Demis Gallenus's An Anatomy of Gangrene, a book giving some theoretical insights on how to cure corruption. They also keep feeding the seagull and keep the zombie hidden somewhere.

To conclude, this adventure was meant to be a one-off, but we had so much fun that this group really wants to keep playing. That won't be before September though, time for my third group to start and my one-2-one adventure to resume.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
The Dune campaign was a success. Our goal to become a Major House in control of a planet was achieved last night. At first we thought we would be able to take control of the planet our minor house is located on. Long story short we ended up in control of a different planet after the last two sessions, of intrigue at the Emperor's court. We covered a lot of ground in just 8 sessions of play. Kudos to our GM. Well played.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The Dune campaign was a success. Our goal to become a Major House in control of a planet was achieved last night. At first we thought we would be able to take control of the planet our minor house is located on. Long story short we ended up in control of a different planet after the last two sessions, of intrigue at the Emperor's court. We covered a lot of ground in just 8 sessions of play. Kudos to our GM. Well played.
Any chance you can give some details about the game? I haven’t gotten to play this one yet but am very intrigued. All the subsystems seem a bit complex but the agent vs architect play sounds really interesting.

Mezuka

Hero
Any chance you can give some details about the game? I haven’t gotten to play this one yet but am very intrigued. All the subsystems seem a bit complex but the agent vs architect play sounds really interesting.

What I liked the most is that as a noble of the house you don't need to participate in all the action. Instead, you send people to do the work for you, they become your character for the duration of that mission.

glass

(he, him)
Thursday: Tentacle monsters in the dark.
Continuing our CoC adventure, we traced the dodgy whiskey to an illegal distillery hidden in an old mine. Unfortunately, we got locked in and had to take a long route through the darkness to get out. We set upon by tentacle-faced gribblies which shut down our electric lights (although luckily one PC had a lighter). We managed to kill them, but at a non trivial cost in both sanity and health.

Sunday: Curse your sudden inevitable betrayal.
Our current regular GM is still away, so the two of us remaining in the Sunday group decided to have a one-shot solo game. For brevity, we decided to do a PFS scenario (we diced off for player and GM and I ended up the former), and picked Rivalry's End. It feature a notorious former member of the Pathfinder Society who shows up in quite a few scenarios; this turned out to be the adventure wherein he becomes "former", so his turning on us was not terribly surprising....

_
glass.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Talisman Adventures
Princess Petunia's quest begins... FIGHT!

Sun Talisman Adventures:
Princess Reposed. Thieves stupid; terminated.

The Quest.... The late princess Petunia asks them to put her coronet back upon her head... this entails travel to Sepulchre, defeating the guards, and then not stealing the crown once the trapped thieves are relieved of it.

As for the stupid? They tried to steal from the vampire necromancer on the way out of the crypt.... this resulted in their unscheduled termination.

It is a fun system.
Yep. A bit silly, too.
Sprites in the 1m range...
My current party:
  • Stonecutter, Minotaur Prophet
  • Krazimir, Vampire Necromancer
  • Welic, Sprite Warrior with 2-hand specialty.
I've one "complaint" - advancement is too quick. They just hit second, and the Skeleton follower is going to get boosted. THis is two sessions in. And XP only for fights that got one or more down below half LP.

In Re Tales of the Dungeon: It would be nice if the new ancestries included the expanded CGen materials, either in or as a web enhancement (like was done with Core), and the new classes had starting equipment listed...

aramis erak

Legend
The subsystems are mostly just variations on the core extended task system. It's just variations on what counts as weapons, terrain, and proximity. Agent/Architect isn't called out in the rulebook, but is still very present.
The basics of 2d20 for Dune:
All tasks are rolled on 2 to 6 d20's...
2 are free; 3 more can be purchased with momentum or threat, and one by help.
You use a Drive and a skill summed to set the target number. If you have an applicable focus for the skill, your focus number is the same as the skill; if not, the focus number is 1.
Your helper's provided die uses THEIR drive and skill, not yours.
Each die is compared to the TN and the focus number. If roll <= FN, 2 successes on that die; if FN < Roll <= TN, one succeess. If roll = 20, complication. All bought dice checked.
Total successes reduced by difficulty; if still in the positive, success, and the result is also how much momentum is there.
Momentum has other uses, too, such as extra answers on info tasks, extra effect on extended tasks...

If you want to be eased into the mechanics, the adventure in Heirs to Dune is really quite good. It's really a mini-campaign...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The subsystems are mostly just variations on the core extended task system. It's just variations on what counts as weapons, terrain, and proximity. Agent/Architect isn't called out in the rulebook, but is still very present.
The basics of 2d20 for Dune:
All tasks are rolled on 2 to 6 d20's...
2 are free; 3 more can be purchased with momentum or threat, and one by help.
You use a Drive and a skill summed to set the target number. If you have an applicable focus for the skill, your focus number is the same as the skill; if not, the focus number is 1.
Your helper's provided die uses THEIR drive and skill, not yours.
Each die is compared to the TN and the focus number. If roll <= FN, 2 successes on that die; if FN < Roll <= TN, one succeess. If roll = 20, complication. All bought dice checked.
Total successes reduced by difficulty; if still in the positive, success, and the result is also how much momentum is there.
Momentum has other uses, too, such as extra answers on info tasks, extra effect on extended tasks...

If you want to be eased into the mechanics, the adventure in Heirs to Dune is really quite good. It's really a mini-campaign...
Thanks. I have read the book. I just haven't gotten to play it. I was hoping from some actual play insights.

Remove ads