Commentary thread for that “Describe your game in five words” thread.

Nuclear police lay ECW ghosts.
This is "BCU Black," a GURPS Action campaign about a branch of the UK's Civil Nuclear Constabulary whose job is to deal with occult matters. They got the job because radioactivity interferes with magic. This was a comparatively straightforward scenario: retrieve a book about geomantic hauntings from a recently-deceased magician's library (the poltergeist guarding it let us take the book once we read it our letter from the magician) and then use the ritual in it to lay some ghosts, fending off other magicians who wanted to take the tainted magical energy in the haunting for themselves. Sadly, one of us took that magic for himself, although the rest of us don't know that yet.

glass

(he, him)
Thursday: Still giants (fight and talk).
Shattered Star is a sequel of sorts to Rise of the Runelords, and like its predecessor it has a chapter which features a lot of giants (so far at least - I am a player for this one so I am not sure how long this will continue). We had a big fight against hill and fire giants, and then found some maimed giants in pits that appeared to be prisoners. The one that spoke common was happy to talk to us, and gave us some info (although not much). We said we'd come back to help them out of the pits when we had dealt with those who had imprisoned them, and sure enough through the very next door was a whole bunch more giants including the (apparently mad) boss.

Sunday: New characters had less trouble.
After a TPK in the last session we had, and then missing a couple of Sundays due to holidays, the new characters had a brief encounter with one of the previous PC's animal companions and then did a bit of (re)exploring and fought some duergar and an allip. No major difficulties, but then they have yet to re-encounter the roper!

Last edited:

Escape magic killed the spy.
This spy had been given an escape method: a potion of teleport, and a scroll with a description of a safe place to teleport to. He'd also been given a good description of our party and told that we were working for the local government, but since we weren't in the habit of arresting people without evidence, he should keep a low profile and stay calm. He didn't do any of these things.

He fled the village and when he got to the good road, used a potion of polymorph that he'd stolen from someone years ago to turn himself into a horse so that he could travel faster, We knew he was heading for the road and had a start on us, so we sent our semi-druid ahead to look for him in falcon form. She spotted a horse proceeding purposefully with no rider, which was definitely interesting. She followed him, and he turned back into a human and then collapsed. The polymorph potion had not been of the finest, and required a system shock roll, which he failed. The DM's plan had been that we'd find him by the side of the road, exhausted by the gallop, but he'd gone and died before we got to him.

So we delivered him to the intelligence agency we sometimes work for, because they're undoubtedly better at Speak with Dead than us, along with his satchel containing clothes, all his notes (including messages that told him to destroy them), the scroll and the potion. We'd opened the scroll, at which point it had stopped being magical.

They reckoned the magical seal on the scroll had sent a message of some kind when it was broken, and identified the "teleport" potion as a fast-acting poison. Speak with Dead had yielded his superior in his organisation, an innkeeper in the town he was heading for, and confirmed that he was working for the main enemy organisation of the campaign. Not a bad day's work.

glass

(he, him)
Thursday: Found ally eaten by spiders.
Early in the session we took a prisoner; a wererat who had been planning to lead a wererat uprising, after one of his people had been lynched by some townsfolk who blamed him for the plague going on in the city. Said wererat had a legitimate point, but all the uprising would have done would be get a bunch more wererats killed (along with a bunch of other townsfolk). It was his one of his own people who asked us to intervene.

Anyway, like said his anger was justified so we did not want to just kill him; just take him off the board for a bit. We talked about handing him over to the authorities, but we came to the conclusion we would either execute him or let him go, neither of which suited us. So we decided to go an talk to an acquaintance from the previous chapter - a slightly shady character who ran an entertainment establishment down at the docks - to see if he could help.

Unfortunately, when we got there we discovered that the place was deserted and covered with webbing. We headed straight for the boss's office, and found him dead and covered in apparent spider bites, and then fought a couple of spider swarms. Looks like more spiders next week....

Sunday: Lots of consecutive animated things.
The PCs are exploring a largish dungeon, and they entered four rooms in a row which something animated and attacked them. In order: Two large skeletons and a wight, six medium skeletons, an animated rug, and an animated arming dummy. After that, they re-explored the top level that the previous PCs had already cleared, ran into some stirges, and eventually encountered some troglodytes (although it was late, so actually dealing with the trolglodytes will have to wait for next week).

Goblins respect orbital kinetic strikes.
The world of Avalon has been run by the same DM for about 45 years. Many campaigns have been run, our AD&D1e game is only the latest. In the Blackmoor tradition, there have been aliens from space, including a colonisation ship with about two billion kobolds on board. Sorting that out was a bit complicated.

A couple of years ago, somebody in orbit dropped "Rods from God" kinetic strikes on quite a few cities. The reasons for this are complicated, but a PC with far more ego than sense was tricked into playing a part that the bad guys couldn't do themselves.

Our current campaign has been partly about assisting with the recovery from the orbital strikes. The government we work for has decided to annex some land that was not previously organised, so we've been hexcrawling it, to find communities and offering them the choice of (a) join the country, get protection, pay taxes, obey laws (b) leave unmolested, with several months notice or (c) if they insist, we'll drive them out by force. We also try to deal with monsters that are aggressive enough to attack us while we're doing the hexcrawl. So far we've managed to back off and call for help on things that are too tough for us (one beholder, and some ropers, thus far).

We knew that there were goblins in a part of the area, because we've spotted them gathering food from the farmed area round one of the flattened cities. We had no real objection to this, and had tried to talk to them, but they ran away. Yesterday we found the goblin tribe from the other side of their territory. Since we were at one of their sentry posts, looked far too tough for them, and wanted to talk, they were willing to talk. They were also willing to join, because they were under the impression that the flattened city they'd seen had been flattened by the government for rebellion, or otherwise not staying in line. We managed not to disabuse them of this idea; they clearly had not heard that many cities had been struck. There were about a thousand goblins in total, including women and children. I'm not sure we could have fought all of them successfully, but we'd have torn a big hole in their warrior supply, and they didn't want to try it.

The government will send a negotiator and guards to sort out the details, and hopefully someone to deal with the ropers in the marsh near the goblin cave. We weren't going to try it: we might manage one roper, but not several.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Poor thief almost got goo’d

Tonight’s session had a lot of zany moments (including one where the poor thief got mind-controlled and set on fire), but this one happened at the end is a good example of what I’ve been doing with my homebrew system.

After the party made camp, they went into the dungeon. I’m running The Incandescent Grottoes, so it’s a good test of my system’s compatibility. This session, they had pushed deeper into the ooze cult’s area. At the very end is a strange place with several tanks of gel. There’s a yellow one with a corpse in it, an orange one, and a red one with a skull.

They’d figured out the red one was dangerous, but they weren’t sure about the orange one. The barbarian decided she would throw the corpse into the orange one to see if it would bring the corpse back to life. It didn’t. The tank’s frame had been damaged, which I noted as consequence since the intent was to put the body in the tank. Naturally, she rolled only a regular success. That means she gets her intent, but there’s a consequence.

I described how the tank was going to come apart and go everywhere. If she lept out of the way, she could get away safely, but the thief behind her was going to take the goo (and be disfigured). Alternately, if she took the goo, it’d block the thief. Of course, I also suggested that there are other possibilities if she had a good idea. Which she did.

She has the High Jump speciality from her ancestry, which lets her leap up several meters. She wanted to grab the thief before the gel hit and jump onto the tank with the yellow gel. Okay, that’s going to be a standard target (10). It’s Exert (DEX) this time because she needs to be quick. Her DEX is not great (I think it’s just +0), so we looked for help.

The thief said when all this was happening, he wanted to try to climb on the barbarian. That would let him roll Exert (STR) to help. If he rolled well, he would give her a (success) +1 or (complete success) +2. The barbarian’s bard retainer also started singing a helpful song. She rolled poorly on her roll, and the thief did too, but his Expertise feature lets him reroll one of this dice (skill checks are 2d6). He did that and got enough to succeed, which gave him a +1. Otherwise, help can add consequences, which no one wanted.

The barbarian’s player liked the help, but he really wanted to make sure his character would completely succeed. I have a mechanic where you can sacrifice something, so he said his barbarian would sacrifice her spear. That would give her 3d6+3 versus a target of 10. The player rolled 17, so she more than made it.

The way this played out in the fiction is as the tank came crashing down, she used her spear to help boost her and the thief up as the thief grabbed on and she jumped up onto the gel.

If she had rolled poorly, they would have overshot into the gel. It wasn’t dangerous, but you have two people trapped in a tank of stuff they can’t breath. That definitely would not have been a good situation.

aramis erak

Legend
Wed SW:
Starkiller's trap. One Character dies.
Yeah, I used Jason Starkiller as the big-bad.
One of the Jedi in Training faced him... I got a really good roll, and the crit was "another attack on the same pool" which resulted in +60 on the crit roll, and I rolled a 98... Player isn't upset. He's got a new character in mind.

Another PC dropped starkiller with an Ion Gun... from a fighter.

Geekrampage

Explorer
Dungeon of the Mad Mage:
Death Slaad CAN be charmed

Level 8 - Slitherswamp
Player character produced "Rod of Rulership" which they obtained from the Spirit Nagas and used it on the horde of bullywugs coming to join the fight.

One of the other player characters said, "What about the Death Slaad?"

Acting player character said, "Is that possible?"

I said, "Well, all creatures you can see, so sure, its possible."

Acting player character said, "C'mon. He's a Death Slaad with powerful spells. Of course he's immune to charm."

I scan the stats, confident that, surely, a Death Slaad is immune to charm. "Uh. Nope. He gets advantage on his saving throw though."

I roll two 4s.

"He holds up his hands and takes a knee."

Other player characters, "Holy naughty word!"

Me, "Okay, Erica, it's your turn. You have Spirit Guardians active and the Death Slaad is in its area effect. The decision is yours. Do you drop the spell to maintain the cham - or do you keep it up, thus causing him damage at the start of his turn and ending the charm? The decision to stop the fight or keep it going is entirely yours."

Moment pause as Erica considers, "I keep it up."

Other players, "Yeah! naughty word that guy!"

Voadam

Legend
Creative Ettin Mechanics Worked Well.
5e conversion of a Pathfinder Iron Gods game I am running. 6th level PCs hunker down after two of them are drained 24 max hp by a spectral guardian, including a normally 37 hp 8 Con kobold bard and a front line plate mail life cleric. The bard can't make it so I plan on him hiding if any combat occurs while they are resting (it does). A Lord of Rust, the ettin executioner known as the Draigs shows up with some orcs and breaks into their hidey hole before they can long rest to recover the lost max hp.

There is a group of six Lords of Rust individualized villain figures the party has to deal with in their Mad Max bartertown type of area. One is the ettin. In 5e ettins are only CR 4, with an easy to hit AC 12. Even with the party being down to 3 PCs, one being down max hp to start, and the ettin having a pair of orc supporters, that would not be much of a challenge and the ettin would not seem that big a deal.

So I turned the 5e ettin into a 4e elite monster, twice the hp, twice the normal attacks. In Fantasy Grounds I put in two ettins in the combat tracker, Ferra Draigs and Morta Draigs (collectively, the Draigs) with only one body on the combat map, with the corresponding combat tracker stat block having twice the normal hp.

This gave two initiatives (one for each head) and came out to roughly the equivalent of the Draigs being the action equivalent of two CR 4 ettins.

This worked out for the combat dynamics I was going for in the fight. Two-Headed monster going multiattack twice a round at different points in the initiative worked really well, and mental effects like disadvantage on next attack having to be placed on specific heads added to the ettin effect.

aramis erak

Legend
They saved Padme and kids...
So, campaign conceit: Ben panics when Padme gives up... carbon freezes her.
Party brought in on a job - carry a frozen Padme away from Tatooine. Of course they checked the cargo...
That was a few months ago for players, and twice as long for the characters. They've since built up cred with both Ben and Bail Organa. They've been starting the Rebellion in year 3. Ben's still moping about misjudging Anakin...

Fast forward... they finally convince ben there is a hope - a new hope - Luke & Leia. By use of a sith holocron of the prophesy ... They also convince Bail. So, they finally, 3 years after the fact, thaw Padme and birth Luke and Leia. And, using heal, keep all three alive.

I inform the players that that's the endpoint, the victory.

Remove ads