• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Common, un-common & rare spells

BluWolf

Explorer
Anyone remember the old issue of Dragon that broke all spells down into a list of common, un-common or rare??

Anyone remember the criteria used?

Or was that even an issue of Dragon??

JoeGKushner

First Post
I think it was a Forgotten Realms supplmeent that did this and it was very handy and I used it often to yank more gold from the players when they went looking for those... odd spells.

Thanee

First Post
If you want a very simple method...

Spells from PHB: common
Spells from Complete books and Campaign Setting book (i.e. PGtF for 3.5 FR): uncommon
Spells from anywhere else: rare

Bye
Thanee

frankthedm

First Post
I say each campaign should have its own list of rare spells. Also higher level spells should also be of higher rarity.

Common: Basic attack magic, defence magic & spells that make life easier

Uncommon: Spells that might be used once in a while.

rare: named spells & Spells a wizard would NOT give out if they had it, like say, Feeblemind.

This of course breaks down if a PC can just up and pick any 2 spells at level up. IMG, I require prior exposure to the spells in book form for the "level up" spells, but costs are waived.

BluWolf

Explorer
Thanks for the quick response but which Realms supplement???
I have it somewhere but now I need to remember which book. If I go searching through all that stuff I will fail my save versus "paying attention" and end up on some bizarre tangent.

Then I'll end up right back here asking the same question in 6 months.

Remove ads