Community created 5e clone?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Depends, is the basic spellcaster a sorcerer? With wizard and warlock as paths?
That makes sense thematically, but I’d actually just call it a Mage, and not explain its source of power.

Personally I’d rather not lock anyone into any particular flavor before they’ve chosen their actual class, though.

doctorbadwolf

Sharpshooter seems like it should be under the archer branch. Greater and lesser feats can be that way too.

I.e.
Archer (prerequisite: warrior 1)
1: +2 with ranged attacks
2: Sharpshooter
3: crossbow expert.

So I'm not sure there needs to be "feats" really. Just 1 level long branches (nub?)

But having a level prerequisite isn't a bad idea.

I.e.
Wild shape 1: prerequisite nature magic.
-cr 1/4 or lower.
Wild shape 2: prerequisite level 4
-cr 1 or lower, can swim.
Wild shape 3: prerequisite level 8
-cr 2 or lower, can fly.
Hmmm. I’ll stew on that setup and check in tomorrow after work.

I think I prefer having the big archetype trait have consequential scaling abilities or a list of traits that you get in order at certain levels (determined by class or just part of the base level progression), even if there are also minor traits that require specific archetypes or classes to take, but I’ll think on it.

mellored

Legend
Depends, is the basic spellcaster a sorcerer? With wizard and warlock as paths?
Sure, I guess.
Might make a little more flavor sense if you needed a little bit of innate magic before you could do other stuff with it.

Or perhaps you can just pick your source. Cast with Int, Wis or Cha, whatever you prefer.

Though basic caster should just have simple spells (cure wound, magic missile, Thunder wave, fireball), and extra spell slots.

More complex spells (spiked growth, polymorph, fire wall, summons, familiars), meta magic, and rechargable slots can go on the branches.

mellored

Legend
Also @mellored what you think of the idea of scaling certain pillar abilities like Spellcasting and attack progression in similar terms, so they can be balanced roughly against eachother, and make mixing them easier?
So put more scaling to be based on the level? Yes.

A lot more 'proficiency times per long rest' and '2d4 + your proficiency bonus' has been showing up in the game more often for just that reason.

Pathfinder 2 also has most of it's scaling being + your level. With the feats being the ability to do different things like attack everyone next to you, rather than hit harder.

doctorbadwolf

So put more scaling to be based on the level? Yes.

A lot more 'proficiency times per long rest' and '2d4 + your proficiency bonus' has been showing up in the game more often for just that reason.

Pathfinder 2 also has most of it's scaling being + your level. With the feats being the ability to do different things like attack everyone next to you, rather than hit harder.
Okay I think we are fairly well aligned then. Can’t wait to have a proper day off.

Remove ads