Company of the Random Encounter ('complete' 14 Nov 2004)

Mantreus

Explorer
Where's the haggling? Surely they're not rescuing the poor girl for nothing?
Hang on, sheesh! What sort of adventures do you think we are?

And Cappelan, you forgot to mention the "divine intervention" coming up as well :D

Capellan

Explorer
arwink said:
Hold on, I'm confused.

Where's the haggling? Surely they're not rescuing the poor girl for nothing?

You're missing something.

The roaches broke the kitchen.

Some crimes are simply too terrible to go unpunished :D

Mantreus said:
And Cappelan, you forgot to mention the "divine intervention" coming up as well :)

Single P. Double L. It's really not that hard. :rolleyes:

And I have no idea what you're talking about. E-mail me direct and we can confer. I suspect you just have your sessions mixed up :p

incognito

First Post
I can't decide who I like better. the overstuffed halfling bard with "Kewpie Doll" or the staight 'man' Monk.

I love this SH! Though the name of the group should be more like "Random Company of Many Encounters"

Capellan

Explorer
dpdx said:
Is Anastria a PC, Capellan, or did you just feel the need to saddle someone with a little sister?

Anastria is a PC, played by Sirdros' fiancé. The brother & sister thing was their idea.

There are quite a few couples and familial relationships amongst the players around the table: this is the first amongst the characters.

Mantreus

Explorer
There are quite a few couples and familial relationships amongst the players around the table: this is the first amongst the characters.
Stormstrider (the beefy elf that doesn't say much) is my son (He's 11). We're completely unrelated in the game though :)
I can't decide who I like better. the overstuffed halfling bard with "Kewpie Doll" or the staight 'man' Monk.
Ming Li has a fan! I'll have to tell her :D

Capellan

Explorer
"Good Friends & Fine Spirits" by Mystic Eye Games - Part 6

Again, Anastria is the first to react. Whatever her other failings, she certainly has a warrior's instincts.

The creature's half-submerged body is huge and bulbous, like an enormous, unlanced boil. It squats amidst waist-deep filth, only its wide and dripping maw - filled with crooked, discoloured teeth - appearing above the surface.

Quickly discounting the option of wading into the foul brown muck that fills the room, the elf draws her bow and steps sideways along the ledge, looking for a clear shot. Seeing one, she nocks and arrow and raises the weapon to fire.

Unfortunately, that's just the opportunity the creature has been waiting for. A long tentacle, previously hidden beneath the sewage, suddenly lashes out, covering the wide gap between the creature and the elf with no trouble at all. Strange lumps of unidentifiable refuse - and some that are all too identifiable - spatter over the adventurers.

The tentacle - topped with a broad, flat 'paddle' that is studded with sucker-mouths - wraps around Anastria, pinning her arms to her side. The elf hangs onto her bow as she tries to squirm free, but the slime beast is too strong, and its grip tightens quickly.

Less squeamish than their companion - or perhaps shocked into more desperate action - Ming Li and Sirdros both plunge into the sewage-filled pit, sinking to their thighs as they wade forward. Both reach the beast and launch blows against its side, but neither can penetrate its leathery, slime-coated hide.

Wary of the beast's reach, the Padre wades across the room, reaching the furthest wall. Turning, he raises his loaded crossbow and fires. The shot is hurried, however, and passes high over the creature, the bolt shattering against the stones opposite his position.

Briar moves forward - the stinking slime reaches almost to his waist - and wades in alongside Ming Li and Sirdros, but his blow is even less effective. The young rogue's sword - the grip slick with spattered sewage - almost slips out of his grasp.

"Stand back for Kewpie Doll!" Macwood draws his longsword with a flourish and leaps into the slime. The dense morass bears his weight just long enough for his expression to change to one of concern, and then three-quarters of the halfling vanishes under the surface, only his shoulders, head, and upraised sword still visible.

Perhaps sensing the halfling's vulnerability, the creature lashes out with another tentacle. The blow wraps around Macwood's arm, but - letting go of his sword with that hand - the bard slips free.

Anastria is not so lucky. The creature has her firmly pinioned by now, and she simply lacks the strength to break free. The tentacle constricts, and the elf feels at least one of her ribs crack under the strain. Pain threatens to overcome her, but she blocks it out, grimly hanging on to consciousness.

The Padre draws his mace and shield and rushes forward, both he and Macwood reaching the creature together. A tentacle slaps lazily at the pair, but the priest fends it off which his shield. Unfortunately, neither he, the halfling, nor indeed any of the others, can land a telling blow. Weapons rise and fall all around the creature, but none pierce its thick, leathery skin.

The creature, undeterred by its ineffectual opponents, tightens its grip still further on the unfortunate Anastria. She shrieks in pain as three more of her ribs give way, but then the scream cuts off with a wet, choking sound. Blood trickles from the elf's mouth as her body goes limp.

Disinterested in prey that no longer fights back, the tentacle relaxes, dropping the unconscious elf into the slime. For a moment, the surface tension holds the body afloat, and then - bloodstained and all but crushed - Anastria's slender form sinks into the slime.

Remove ads