D&D General Compelling and Differentiated Gameplay For Spellcasters and Martial Classes

@Tony Vargas

Well, as you know (I think?), I have a ridiculous amount of that level and beyond play in all of BECMI/RC, AD&D, and 3.x. The bulk of my 5e GMing (about 24 hours) is of lvl 14 and beyond.

I’ve never, not once, seen a Fighter be a consequential asset (forget parity with spellcasters) in noncombat resolution at those levels.

The only D&D (and derivative) games I’ve run at endgame tier play where a Fighter is both a consequential asset to noncombat resolution and at relative parity with spellcasters is 4e, Dungeon World, 13th Age, Cortex+ Fantasy Heroic, and Strike(!). Beyond the Wall and Torchbearer doesn’t get to that tier and I’ve only run a little of Shadows of the Demon Lord.

Oofta

Legend
@Tony Vargas

Well, as you know (I think?), I have a ridiculous amount of that level and beyond play in all of BECMI/RC, AD&D, and 3.x. The bulk of my 5e GMing (about 24 hours) is of lvl 14 and beyond.

I’ve never, not once, seen a Fighter be a consequential asset (forget parity with spellcasters) in noncombat resolution at those levels.

The only D&D (and derivative) games I’ve run at endgame tier play where a Fighter is both a consequential asset to noncombat resolution and at relative parity with spellcasters is 4e, Dungeon World, 13th Age, Cortex+ Fantasy Heroic, and Strike(!). Beyond the Wall and Torchbearer doesn’t get to that tier and I’ve only run a little of Shadows of the Demon Lord.

From a utility standpoint or a plot standpoint? Because I've seen fighters be critical for both, although in general fighters have less utility outside of combat by design.

If it's important to the player, there are ways of increasing a fighter's utility.

Oofta

Legend
@Oofta

Which system are you referring to? The 5e game I ran? I can give you more particulars once I know which system/game you’re asking about.

I've seen 5E fighters be quite integral to the team outside of combat based on backgrounds, skills taken and feats. Then again, most games I've been involved in don't have that many skill obstacles, it's more social/exploration arm of things. If that makes sense.

But I should probably just put this thread back on ignore since I don't see it as an issue. It's kind of like saying my Jeep Wrangler isn't very good at drag races. I don't have a problem with that because it's not what it's designed for.

If y'all want to discuss options go ahead and ignore my post. :rolleyes:

Tony Vargas

Legend
From a utility standpoint or a plot standpoint?
Utility, contribution, effectiveness, resources, agency - call it what you will - if it's not deliverable via single-target DPR the fighter class probably lacks it.

"Plot standpoint?" Fairly arbitrary. The plot can be all about a certain character - the Rightful Heir to the Throne, say - who has no capacity to in any way impact the course of events, just a McGuffin or the Flag atop the hill to capture, but with legs, and, occasionally, even lines.

I've seen 5E fighters be quite integral to the team outside of combat based on backgrounds, skills taken and feats.
So, nothing that literally any other class couldn't have done in their place.
Oh, unless you mean a combination based on 6+ feats, no one of which was dispensable?

Then again, most games I've been involved in don't have that many skill obstacles, it's more social/exploration arm of things. If that makes sense.
It does, yes.

Oofta

Legend
Utility, contribution, effectiveness, resources, agency - call it what you will - if it's not deliverable via single-target DPR the fighter class probably lacks it.

Much like a heist movie, different PCs play different roles. I've never had a problem with it. Things like spells cast outside of combat are such a small part of the overall story that I don't care. It gives that swiss-army knife caster or rogue a chance to shine. That's cool by me, if I wanted that type of character I can build it either through a combination of backgrounds and feats or I can play a different class.

You see an issue where I see none. Feel free to ignore my post.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Much like a heist movie, different PCs play different roles.
One of those roles is rarely "does nothing during the actual heist," just beats up some extras in the title sequence. ;P
Things like spells cast outside of combat are such a small part of the overall story that I don't care. It gives that swiss-army knife caster or rogue a chance to shine.
Fine as far as it goes, but what about campaigns that don't focus primarily on combat? (that's rhetorical, feel free to ignore)
I wanted that type of character I can build it either through a combination of backgrounds and feats or I can play a different class.
That says it all, really.

I did not know that.
And, my condolences. How did you find yourself in that position?

Never a helpful fighter-only magic item back in the day, or a handy feat combo /only/ the 12+ feat fighter could pull together in 3e?

The only D&D (and derivative) games I’ve run at endgame tier play where a Fighter is both a consequential asset to noncombat resolution and at relative parity with spellcasters is 4e, Dungeon World, 13th Age, Cortex+ Fantasy Heroic, and Strike(!).
I'm only familiar with two of those, and haven't ever tried 13A at high level. As for the remainder "parity" is relative, and relative to other versions of D&D, sure, but still clearly behind classes that, like, have social skills other than Intimidate* on the class lists or ready access to rituals (though, yeah, they're primarily a gp resource, and thus fungible).

* I mean, seriously, the skill that's used to illustrate auto-failure, right in the example skill challenge, it's like they're saying: "oh, yeah, don't forget to bork the fighter in social challenges!"

Could you give maybe 5 pithy excerpts from play experience (2-3 sentences) where the 20 Strength Fighter is performing at relative parity in dealing with tier-relevant exploration challenges with a Wizard when both are level 14 or higher?

Yes.
Climb for hours and days
Row for hours and days
Carry heavy things out of an antimagic zone
Open a heavy door in an antimagic zone
Free himself from manacles that prevent gestures.

Remove ads