• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete D&D Monster Index (September 2007)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Freyar: Yes, the ToH monsters in the index are there because they are explicitly conversions of D&D creatures. I didn't included the ToH creatures that don't reference earlier D&D appearances. I also didn't include the creatures from ToH2 and ToH3 (since those also don't reference earlier D&D creatures).

Shade: Don't worry, I still have a few gaps in my D&D collection to fill before I think about collection general d20 material ;). I haven't been getting the Pathfinder and GameMastery modules because I was trying to cut down a little on buying stuff before moving. (Yet somehow that hasn't stopped me from getting a heap of GameMastery Maps, Flip-Mats and Item Cards, go figure...)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Echohawk said:
Freyar: Yes, the ToH monsters in the index are there because they are explicitly conversions of D&D creatures. I didn't included the ToH creatures that don't reference earlier D&D appearances. I also didn't include the creatures from ToH2 and ToH3 (since those also don't reference earlier D&D creatures).

Well, it's dawning on me that you might want to consider adding the paizo stuff to your list following the same rules as for ToH. Pathfinder and GameMastery seem like they have a number of conversions now. For example, Pathfinder #2 has a "lamia matriarch" (seems pretty much like a lamia noble, even down to body type and some special abilities) as well as a version of the revenant. Then I just noticed on their blog today that on of the Gamemastery adventures has a quickling (speed 240) (though they could have lifted it from somewhere, as I don't have that to see if it's original). Maybe I'll start a Pathfinder monster thread tonight...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
If I follow the same rules as for ToH, then the Paizo monsters will only be added if they explicitly claim to be updates of earlier D&D creatures.

As I understand it, while some of the creatures have the same (or similar) names, they don't actually claim to be updates of creatures from earlier editions. So, much like similar creatures in the ToH2 and ToH3, they don't make the cut for the index.

But having said that, I have recently ordered some of the Paizo stuff to look at ;).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Echohawk said:
If I follow the same rules as for ToH, then the Paizo monsters will only be added if they explicitly claim to be updates of earlier D&D creatures.

Ok, that I don't think I realized. They do not seem to be citing earlier edition sources, so I guess they don't make the cut, but I think some of the coincidences are too much otherwise. Well, you'll be able to evaluate yourself soon! :D

Remove ads