• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Computers, Projectors, and Battle Maps.

cyderak

Banned
Banned
For anyone that already uses a projector, or anyone using Dundjinni or the NWN map tool, do you have a collection of digital battlemaps that you wouldn't mind sharing with me?

I'd like to gather up a ton of maps that I could reference when I need something for the game. I've been googling stuff, but I was hoping for more. Especially the NWN maps, they look nice.

Go here:

Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums Search

Type in whatever kind of map you want. Dungeon.....temple......inn.....castle.......tomb.......keep......and so on.

alot of high end maps on there.

you can also buy maps here:

SkeletonKey Games -

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=61

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=107

Scrying Eye Games: OrcTown Maps by Rick Ricci...

FUTURE ARMADA

Creative Gremlins Marketplace

RPGNow.com - Advanced Search

enjoy.

Last edited:

Thraug

First Post
I'm considering going the digital tabletop route, leaning towards a overhead projector, mostly so we can write on the projected area and use minis without much worry, and also so we don't have to worry about spills and food mess (common problem with my group).

I read on some other forum about some folks that use a overhead projector placing some "building blocks" for where elevated terrain are projected onto. The projected image renders on these building blocks (just white foamboard or whatever) and the result looks like a 3d object. I wonder how good this looks, not having seen it live or even in a video.

I wonder how valuable the upcoming WOTC VTT will be with these types of setups. Anyone in the beta care to comment on if WOTC's VTT is a good option for in-person digital tables?

Dannager

First Post
I wonder how valuable the upcoming WOTC VTT will be with these types of setups. Anyone in the beta care to comment on if WOTC's VTT is a good option for in-person digital tables?
Probably about as useful as you'd imagine. You can (theoretically, this is still a beta though) configure and save adventures ahead of time, and then just pull them up as necessary (which would save a lot of time). You also get access to the dungeon tiles used to set the maps up, and I'm sure DDI integration will be useful for you.

The whole voice chat thing probably won't see a lot of use, though. Unless you want to make yourself sound like a badass paladin with their voice fonts, but I don't know how well that would work if everyone can hear you speaking in your normal voice at the same time. :p

Oryan77

Adventurer
Use a laptop cooler in one (or both) of the open areas to promote air flow. You'll want to test to see if you can power them off the TV's USB port.

I got the two laptop coolers (had to buy a USB extension cord for 1 of them). I'm wondering though, how should I position these fans? Should they blow directly towards the middle of the tv from underneath, or should I keep the fans under the vents of the tv located towards the "top" of the tv?

There are no vents anywhere else on the tv, so air won't actually be blowing into the tv if I put the fans in the middle.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I got the two laptop coolers (had to buy a USB extension cord for 1 of them). I'm wondering though, how should I position these fans? Should they blow directly towards the middle of the tv from underneath, or should I keep the fans under the vents of the tv located towards the "top" of the tv?

There are no vents anywhere else on the tv, so air won't actually be blowing into the tv if I put the fans in the middle.

Not sure how the coolers you have work. Most, I thought, sucked air from the top and blew it out the sides?

Might be that I'm wrong -- and from the sounds of things, it sounds like I am.

But, if they blow up (and suck in from the sides), then in either case, you'll want them either blowing (or sucking) using the big surface part of the laptop cooler near the vents on the tv -- with the air either blowing (or sucking, as the case may be) from out the sides of your PVC frame.

I'll poke at Azmyth to reply directly -- but I'm pretty sure that was the thrust of his suggestion.

Blue Max Studios

First Post
It's cool to how much info we've managed to generate on this topic!

Quick question: Have any of you that are using a flat screen for battle maps tried using counters instead of just minis? I'm interested in the idea of counters printed on transparencies. I think that the result would make the images on the counters visible, but I haven't put it to the test yet.

Anyone given that a try? If so, please share your experiences!

cyderak

Banned
Banned
There are certain D&D minis that are clear underneath the base of the mini and the light from the projector table shines up through the bottom of the mini and kind of illuminates the mini.

Too bad they didn't make a full set of minis that did that.

Made specifically for a lit up Game Table.

Remove ads