• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan d20

argo

First Post
redwing said:
thank you for the replies

From Monster Mash's listing, there are quite a few differing cultures all on one continent so close to each other. To me this doesn't seem to logical. How were the interactions of these differing peoples? (Like I said, i've only finished a couple of the stories....).

Except it is not all one continent, or rather it is one really big continent. Go to that website linked above and look for the "maps" section. One of REH's conciets when writing the conan stories is that the Hyborian age actually existed on our earth in a time before recorded history and that the shape of the continents was changed in a cataclysm event that brought an end to the Hyborian age. Aquilonia is located where France will one day be, Khitai is located on the other side of the world where China will one day be, Vhendya is on the other side of high mountains where India will one day be and Stygia is in proto-africa where Egypt will one day be. Its all rather transparent actually.

Of course that is not to say that it all makes sense. Quite the opposite actually. REH was a pulp swords 'n sorcery writer. Aquilonia resembles late-medvil france with 14th century tech because Howard wanted to do some knights-in-armor stories. Then one day he felt like writing some cowboys and indians stories except his editor wouldn't buy anything that didn't feature Conan so REH droped Pictland next door to france and had his moody barbarian put on some buckskin breeches and go kill some redskins. For most of us the "whatever you feel like today" flavor of the Hyborian age is part of the charm.

Personally I love Conan and can't say enough good things about it. If you are woried about the cost then maybe waiting for the bargin-basement pocket edition is a wise move but I can say that the core Conan book is a very nice book with full-color art and good print quality that justifies the price tag. Try reading some more of the origional stories and check out the info on the Hyborian age in the website above but I hope that you will soon be another faithful Conan convert. ;)

Later.

DMScott

First Post
redwing said:
What other kingdoms are in the world and how do they relate to historical cultures? Do these kingdoms seem to "flow together?" I'm not a big fan of FR just throwing in every culture for the option, it doesn't make sense and where each is geographically located, the cultures would have assimilated. Basically, is it logical?

With sufficient suspension of disbelief, sure. Howard wasn't a cultural anthropologist but rather a pulp writer, he chose the cultures and locations to tell rip-roaring adventure stories. But given that framework, and the other themes of his stories (i.e. that civilization = degeneration), he handles the mix logically.

What other elements make Hyboria any different than the common D&D world (other than low magic, grim 'n gritty)?

Conan isn't so much low magic as evil magic - there are some kick butt spell-slingers in the stories, but they're pretty much all bad guys. That's a fairly major adjustment for folks used to D&D. A second major difference is that characters generally do not accumulate wealth on any kind of regular schedule - Conan starts many of the stories broke, with only a sword and the clothes on his back to his name. Treasure is used to drive the story along, not to make characters more powerful as in D&D.

A third major difference is that Conan's objective is often "get out of here with my skin mostly intact and the girl on my arm". Despite being the greatest warrior of the age, he often runs into foes he can't kill, and ends up on the run. Many D&D players aren't quite used to exercising that sort of tactical discretion.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Good points DMScott! One thing to add is that magic items are also rare & as DMScott has pointed out usually evil & having some sort of cost for using it. I like Howards world -it's not entirely logical but covers a wide variety of things a DM can throw at his/ her players! Thanks Maester Luwin

Akrasia

Procrastinator
DMScott said:
... Conan isn't so much low magic as evil magic - there are some kick butt spell-slingers in the stories, but they're pretty much all bad guys. ....

While this is generally true (90+ percent of the time), there are a few 'nonevil' spellcasters.

For example: Pelias the sorcerer (who helps out Conan in the Scarlet Citadel), and the ancient Epemitreus (opponent of Set).

I would say that Conan is also 'rare magic'. You won't find many magic items in Hyboria, and the total number of sorcerers in the world probably does not extend into triple digits. But the magic that does exist is deadly.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
redwing said:
What other elements make Hyboria any different than the common D&D world (other than low magic, grim 'n gritty)?

Several things. 1) Racism: Cimmerians hate Picts, etc. I always rather was annoyed with how well all the PC races seem to get along in DnD.

2) Skills actually make a difference. Characters are not defined by their magical equipment in Conan the Roleplaying Game

3) The atmosphere is different. This is hard to quantify, but it is there.

4) Lower massive damage threshold and weapons do more damage.

6) Not only does a character get to bump up a stat every 4 levels, but at 6th level and every 4 thereafter the character gets to bump up ALL of his stats.

7) The way treasure is handled.

8) Armour offers damage reduction but doesn't make a person harder to hit.

9) Lower hit points. Hit point thresholds work a lot like 1st edition AD&D - after 10th level, a character recieves a flat rate of hit points and gains no more Con bonuses.

10) More active combat. This is hard to describe, but in my DnD games, everyone pretty much uses their favourite weapons over and over. In my Conan games, people break swords, throw their weapons, grab up fallen weapons, use bottles, chairs, etc. with great frequency.

That is but the tip of the iceburg, but I hope it helps.

Vincent N. Darlage

Last edited:

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Turanil said:
Note that for rules you could also try to use Grim Tales, because some people don't so much like the Conan d20 rules, saying combat is too complex.

Really? I've been playing Conan since its release and haven't found combat to be too complex at all. I have found combat in Conan to be rather enjoyable.

Turanil

First Post
InzeladunMaster said:
Really? I've been playing Conan since its release and haven't found combat to be too complex at all. I have found combat in Conan to be rather enjoyable.
I was just saying what I have read twice on these boards. Then, as you are one of the author of the game, I guess you must find the rules easy to use!

Vigilance

Explorer
Turanil said:
Note that for rules you could also try to use Grim Tales, because some people don't so much like the Conan d20 rules, saying combat is too complex.

I didn't find combat too hard in Conan d20, and I didnt write it either. ;)

There is a lot of flavor in combat... but this is in keeping with the source material, as well as providing fun things for players to do (since there won't be much in the way of spellcasters to play or magic items to find).

I thought Conan d20 was one of the best books I've bought in a long time.

Chuck

Remove ads