Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), and Spellcraft

Sylrae

First Post
I'd probably go with: dungeoneering, history>history for dragons. it makes the most sense out of the know. skills i can think of off-hand, there might be a better one though., and shove magical beasts into arcana. or you could shove them in 'the planes'.

Kerrick

First Post
Hmm. I was thinking of folding Know (arcana) into Spellcraft, and making it a skill related to magic and magical items - IDing spells, magic items (inc. constructs), magical auras, and magical diagrams/sigils/glyphs. I suppose magical creatures (dragons and magical beasts) could fall in there somewhere...

StormingMarcus

First Post
And what about dumping Concentration definitely?
The uses exemplified by Hawken can be achieved by Sense motive in some sort of a way.
So concentration remains only for casters; this skill is almost mandatory for them.
So, making concentration checks caster level checks would be a bad idea?

Kerrick

First Post
There's still the case of someone using a skill that requires focus (i.e., Open Locks) while being distracted. Granted, I've never seen it happen, but it could. Also, as I mentioned, Concentration is heavily used in psionics - gaining the psionic focus, for instance.

StormingMarcus

First Post
There's still the case of someone using a skill that requires focus (i.e., Open Locks) while being distracted.
Never seen anything such as this, i think you can simply ditch this use and no one will complain...
Granted, I've never seen it happen, but it could. Also, as I mentioned, Concentration is heavily used in psionics - gaining the psionic focus, for instance.
Oh yes, the psionic focus... Damn focus...

Kerrick

First Post
What is lost by keeping them as 3 skills? Is the gain by reducing the number of skills greater than the WTF moments you acquire by combining them? IOW, there are bigger fish to fry in 3.5 revisionism.
True, that. I had originally planned to keep them all separate, but do we really two skills that relate to magic? It could go either way, I suppose... I've got expanded rules for all the Knowledge skills, including arcana, so it wouldn't bother me much to keep it as is.

(And welcome to the forum. :) )

Hereticus

First Post
Concentration is "ability to cast a spell under pressure" and "ability to maintain focus on a spell", but both the uses fall under Spellcraft, so it makes eminent sense to roll them together. Someone brought up psionics - it relies heavily on Concentration - but that would just as easily fall under Psicraft instead of Spellcraft. As far as skills are concerned, just increase the DC for the task depending on what's going on.

I do not use psionics in my game, so I can not talk about that. To me it does not add anything to the game except complexity, so it was canned.

I use Wisdom as the key attribute for Concentration, and it is NOT part of Spellcraft. That just makes no sense what so ever. 4.0E went to far in simplification.

Crashy75

First Post
I agree that these skills should be compacted a bit. I think they should be divided as follows:

Knowledge: arcana, religion, and (if you use it) psionics. Each of these skills would be used to identify spells/powers, items/sigils, etc. (arcana for arcane spells/items, Religion for divine and psi for psi of course). Spell casters, would also use them for 'practical knowledge' that you speak of. Personally, I think this helps to keep the different 'magic types' thematically distinct from each other.

Concentration, I see as something similar to what Hawken is talking about (and casting defensively and the like). I also think there should be an 'auto hypnosis' feat that acts similar to the skill (and so, no ah skill even with psi).

(side note, Speechcraft... interesting...)

Remove ads