D&D General Conducting a Research Project on DnD and Need Volunteers

RavenProton

Villager
This might be a bit of an unorthodox post. I've come here today to call upon you, players of Dungeons and Dragons, for your help. I'm a college student in an English class for which I need to conduct a sort of cultural anthropology research project, pertaining to a subculture that I know little to nothing about. I chose DnD as the subject of my research, as I've been interested in learning the game for a long time but have never played. I'm here to ask you if you know, or are part of, a group that would be willing to participate in this study.

First, I'm looking for a group that meets regularly to play DnD, and over the next week (before Sunday, July 24th) I would need to attend, observe, and take notes on at least one of your sessions. I intend to do this virtually, so if your group plays over Zoom, FaceTime, or some other video chat service, I would join your call and watch. Alternatively, if your group meets in person, I would ask you to livestream your session for me to observe. Either way, no footage of you will be recorded or published in any way.

Second, I would need to conduct an interview with your group via a video chat service, which I would hope to schedule for 30 minutes. This interview may be recorded for my viewing only, for reference during the creation of a transcript, and erased at the conclusion of the project. Quotes from you during this interview may be published in the final paper. In both the transcript and the final paper, your names will be replaced with pseudonyms for your privacy.

Finally, the final paper requires an image for reference, so I would ask you to take a few pictures during your session to be published. Upon request, the final draft of this paper will be made available to you and your group for your review before it is published, to verify that my portrayal of you is accurate and honest, and that your anonymity is preserved to your comfort.

I realize I'm asking a lot, but this is for purely academic purposes. During and after this process, I promise that I will do my utmost to be respectful of you, your privacy, and your time. If you're interested in participating, reply to this post or send me a direct message so that we can discuss the details. If not, please spread the word and send this post to anyone who may be willing to help.

Thanks for reading!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This might be a bit of an unorthodox post. I've come here today to call upon you, players of Dungeons and Dragons, for your help. I'm a college student in an English class for which I need to conduct a sort of cultural anthropology research project, pertaining to a subculture that I know little to nothing about. I chose DnD as the subject of my research, as I've been interested in learning the game for a long time but have never played. I'm here to ask you if you know, or are part of, a group that would be willing to participate in this study.
Don't worry, it's a pretty common type of post. :)

Remove ads