• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Congrats Frog God / Mythmere

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
This is the standard Swords & Wizardry (a clone of the "little brown books" OD&D)

Core or White Box? I ask because I have rather a lot of both, seeing as how each had multiple different printings/versions along the way. I quit keeping track after a while but, at last count, I think it was something like three printings/versions each. That's a lot of re-visioning/re-issuing in a fairly small amount of time. Labyrinth Lord suffers from some of the same. That's a big part of why I settled on OSRIC as my current OSR system of choice.

...plus lots of stuff from the later supplements now added in. It seems planted very firmly between OD&D and 1E AD&D, which I suspect may appeal to a lot of people who liked all the class options of AD&D (you get everything but the Illusionist and Bard with this book), but also preferred the simpler combat mechanics of OD&D or B/X. Also, fleshed out encounter tables, character abilities, ability score mods, saving throws, mass combat, ship to ship combat, some cool dungeon maps (from mythrus tower and rappan athuk), and quite a bit more.

Thats more like what I'm after. :D This is stuff that keeps this from being a retread of things I already own. Thanks for the specifics!

Treebore

First Post
They are considering doing another print run. So those of us who missed out will have another chance. Probably, at this time. Not definite yet.

Mythmere1

First Post
Yeah, we sold out in 10 hours, even with the sales button shutting down and people buying by email/paypal. BIG underestimation of the demand for it.

I don't have official confirmation that another hardcover run is being done, but that's the plan - we just have to change the cover to remove "limited edition" marks, and same to the credits page.

We're running out of softcovers now, too, but Bill had put in a re-order for those after watching sales for only a couple of hours after the game went on sale, so hopefully we won't have any out-of-stock time.

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic reviews and all the support! It looks like we have a bit hit on our hands. :)

Mythmere1

First Post
Congratulations on a bona fide hit.

It's looking that way, at this point -- if it were just the hardcovers, I would have mentally tucked it away as nothing more than a lot of people buying a collectible book. But now the softcovers are sold out as well, and a third of the second print run of softcovers is already sold, even though the copies haven't even cleared the printing press. It's not just about the hardcovers.

Bill has run out of shipping boxes, and has a priority order in for more.

Pdf sales, while they aren't off the chart like the book sales (which come with a free pdf, which affects pdf sales), are selling very steadily even at places like paizo's store. Which is not the territory where you'd really expect a 0e clone to be selling steadily at ALL.

That all happened without any reviews out there, other than the posts from people who got pdfs early in the day. Now the reviews are starting to come out, and from my experience that's where sales really start to kick in. In other words, it's very possible that we aren't even at the spike yet. :confused:

So, yeah. It looks like it's a full-scale hit. :)

JeffB

Legend
Glad to hear it-

Most of us probably admire the "amateur" aspect of the OSR- for gamers, by gamers, etc etc. I know I do. And I've bought a BUNCH of stuff on Lulu- including core, white box, LL, BFRPG, and many modules/supplements, magazines, etc. But I think this speaks volumes re: customers wanting a professional layout, editing, and good quality, but definite old school vibe to the art. The book doesn't have to be pretty with fancy backgrounds or borders, and full-color like Paizo, or WOTC, but it has to be clear, usable, and the look has to resonate with the OSR consumer.

I'm a big fan of the Mullen covers and prefer them but the new cover probably appeals to more gamers (and it's danged good cover regardless of my preference!) . The interior art however I feel is MUCH MUCH better on average than anything we've seen in any previous retro-clone core books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads