• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Consolidation CoreRulebook, APG, UM & UC for Spells, Feats & Classes

Matthias

Explorer
Equipment Guide

In the spirit of these consolidation books, I'm working on an equipment guide. The compilation is using PFCR, AARM, APG, UCOM, and UMAG. For equipment descriptions, I'm drawing from www.d20pfsrd.com.

I am also assigning Craft skill DC and subtype information for every item...this has been as much work as the copypasta I've been doing otherwise. In some cases I am having to expand on the list of Craft skill subtypes as given in the PFCR. There are some items which simply do not have a listed subtype that would be appropriate. With this in mind, most items have been easy enough to figure out, though there are several categories of items which have needed special attention.

(1) Items that are often crafted using different Craft subtypes (within reason). These subtypes are interchangeable. Examples:
- flask (blacksmithing or glass)
- bell (bronzesmithing or silversmithing)
- belt pouch (cloth or leather)
- harrow decks (books or painting)
For simplicity, the same Craft DC applies to both subtypes. As well, progress checks made to complete such items require each subtype to match or exceed 50% of the item's total for the item to be completed.

(2) Items that need skill checks from two different Craft subtypes to be completed. With such items, each subtype contributes a substantial portion of the item's construction. Such items usually are a combination of components made of different materials, such as a spyglass (metal and glass) or a climber's kit (metal and rope).

Examples:
- shaving kit (brewing for the soap and carpentry for the utensils)
- stretcher (carpentry for the poles and cloth for the canvas)
- snowshoes (carpentry for the frame and rope for the netting)
Often the different subtypes will have different DCs, but for simplicity both segments take on 50% of the item's total cost as a measure of progress.

(3) Items that need a Craft skill check plus a Knowledge check (usually nature or engineering) to complete the item. The latter is needed to search for the raw materials that cannot be mundanely manufactured. Examples:
- leeching kit (pottery to make the container and Knowledge/nature to find the leeches)
- healer's kit (cloth to make the bandages and Knowledge/nature to collect the herbs)
- thermometer (glass to make the tube and Knowledge/nature to refine the liquid)
- climber's kit (blacksmithing for the gear and knowledge/engineering for the know-how)
- sextant (blacksmithing and knowledge/engineering)
Most items that require a Knowledge/engineering check really ought to include two Craft skill checks in addition to the Knowledge check. For simplicity I drop the less complex Craft subtype and keep the Knowledge check.

(4) Similar to #3, items which cannot be mundanely created with the assumed medieval technology, but have to be mined, searched for, harvested, etc. The vast majority of such items are associated with a Knowledge/nature skill check. Examples:
- holly and mistletoe
- magnets

(5) Items that are so simple or easy to find or manufacture that no specialized skill is normally needed to "create" the item. Examples:
- firewood
- powder
- torches
- flint and steel

Here is a tentatively complete list of relevant Craft subtypes I am using. I'd like feedback and suggestions for modifying or adding to the list as necessary. Of these, I figure Craft/engineering will draw the most controversy. There are many items (usually mechanical devices) which depend on so many different kinds of materials, so it is difficult to pin just one or two subtypes on the item, so the solution here is to go with the Craft subtype/s that will cover the most delicate, expensive, or complex component of the item. Examples follow for many subtypes, many of them I'm hoping will show how much leniency I'm giving within each subtype.

- Alchemy (alchemical items): also alchemist's labs, alchemist's kits, and portable alchemist's labs.

- Armor

- Baskets

- Blacksmithing (iron and steel objects): drills, chains, ink/potion vials, manacles, mirrors, lanterns, shovels, printing presses, whistles

- Books (includes paper, maps, and nonmagical scrolls): paper, ink, area maps, marked cards, spellbooks, parchment, rice paper, portrait books, footprint books

- Bows (includes ammunition): grappling arrows

- Brewing (includes wax, oil, and other inedible substances): candles, oil, stove cans, wax key blanks, sealing wax, perfume/cologne, soap

- Bronzesmithing: astrolabes and bells

- Calligraphy: tattoos

- Carpentry (includes items made of horn): musical instruments, 10-foot poles, buckets, ladders, chests, folding chairs, portable rams

- Cloth (includes canvas, tents, and any non-garb textile): bedrolls, tents, blankets, canvas, backpacks, earplugs

- Clothing: all outfits, furs, hats, wigs, scarves, cleric's vestments, disguise kits

- Cooking (includes herbalism and spirit): trail rations and wandermeal

- Glass: flasks, vials, glass bottles, marbles, hourglasses, smoked goggles, spyglasses

- Jewelry: poison pill rings, signet rings

- Leather: spell component pouches, waterskins, flotation devices, backpacks, belt pouches, buoys

- Locks: locks, copy of a key, skeleton key

- Painting: marked cards, fortune-teller's decks, harrow decks, disguise kits, tattoos

- Pottery (ceramic items): clay jugs, clay mugs/tankards, clay pitchers, leeching kits,

- Rope: fishing net, string/twine, weapon cord, snowshoes

- Sculptures

- Ships

- Shoes: cleats

- Silversmithing: bells, silver holy symbols, thuribles

- Stonemasonry: chalk, whetstones, map maker's kits

- Traps: trespasser's boots, bear traps, barbed vests

- Weapons: spear-throwers, butterfly nets, combat scabbards, sawback weapons

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Just a few thoughts. I'm not overly familiar with the current Pathfinder craft skills, so stick to the rules if what I say conflicts.

* Brewing is an odd term, though it might be from the book. It makes me think of beer, and that's how I'd use it in game. Perhaps Chemestry?

* To better separate Cloth from Clothing, you might call the first one Textiles.

* Calligraphy might be the right skill for tattoos that are letter-forms, but for anything else you'd want painting.

* The crafting of shoes is called Shoemaking.

* Instead of Silversmithing, I'd probably create a single Metallurgy skill for working with metals that aren't iron or Steel.

* Shipbuilding is the correct term for crafting ocean vessels.

Matthias

Explorer
Just a few thoughts. I'm not overly familiar with the current Pathfinder craft skills, so stick to the rules if what I say conflicts.

* Brewing is an odd term, though it might be from the book. It makes me think of beer, and that's how I'd use it in game. Perhaps Chemestry?

* To better separate Cloth from Clothing, you might call the first one Textiles.

I used the term 'brewing' instead of 'chemistry' because the latter has a more modern connotation. The same for the term 'textiles'.

* Calligraphy might be the right skill for tattoos that are letter-forms, but for anything else you'd want painting.

* The crafting of shoes is called Shoemaking.

* Instead of Silversmithing, I'd probably create a single Metallurgy skill for working with metals that aren't iron or Steel.

* Shipbuilding is the correct term for crafting ocean vessels.

Studying the Craft skill subtypes, I got the impression that they often aimed to refer simply to the end product that is produced (rather than dig up the sometimes quaint and obscure historical terms for the craftsmen who made such things). Chief existing examples are Armor, Locks, Traps, and Weapons. I suppose it seems redundant to say Craft: locksmithing or Craft: shipbuilding because we are already aware of the context.

In other cases, the original writers referred to the base material that was used to make a wide variety of items, frex: cloth, glass, leather.

Concerning creating the Brewing subtype, I felt there needed to be a Craft subtype to cover any primitive chemistry that didn't result in a (sometimes fantastical) alchemical substance or item, and which didn't result in a food or drink of some kind (which is covered by Cooking, a skill that also encompasses knowledge of making alcoholic beverages of various kinds, such as that practiced by the historical 'brewer' and 'vintner' professions).

Within the Craft subtypes, as within the non-Craft skills, there is a constant balance between realism and abstraction. Wherever we have multiple separate but related skills instead of a single abstract one, there is at work a perception that the divided skills represent 'flavor' that's important enough to the underlying genre and playing style of the game that greater focus is needed for these individual fields of expertise. Thus we have special skills like Spellcraft and Use Magic Device or Handle Animal and Survival in addition to the broader fields of Knowledge: Arcana or Knowledge: Nature. While it probably wouldn't hurt Pathfinder to switch over to how d20 Modern does its Craft skills, we would lose some of that 'flavor' that comes from having separate Traps and Locks skills instead of the more abstract Craft: Mechanical skill that d20 Modern has.

Lilith

Explorer
Nice work! However, I'm not seeing this notice required by the Community Use Policy in your PDF:
"This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC, which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Publishing. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Publishing and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com."
If you're claiming this work under the Community Use Policy, you need to have that notice in your PDFs (as well as the OGL). If you could update that, it would be awesome. ^_^

Evenglare

Adventurer
Has anyone done this with races? I'd love to see one with all the options from the books, as well as the bestiary races that can be played.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads