Constructive Criticism for Your GM

R_J_K75

Legend
I also affirm the rehearsal part of offering the suggestion to be very helpful. In fact, just give it some time before presenting it to the intended recipient in order to remove more of the emotion and keep it simple and factual.

I also do this in some circumstances. At work I may write an email to organize my thoughts better, but in some instances when you remove the emotion you can also remove the sincerity. Ive been in meetings at work that were well managed but the ones that turned into heated arguments sometimes got the best results. The more passionate you are sometimes the more it shows you really care.

Celebrim

Legend
If I'm messing up, yeah, tell me right then and there.

I agree with that as Rule #1. I make mistakes all the time, and the faster they are caught the easier it is to deal with them.

I still insist that Rule #2 is, "And if I don't agree with your point of view after you calmly explain it and I give it due consideration, right here in the middle of the game is not the time to argue about it."

My worst DMing and drinking story dates back to 4e. I sprung an ambush by a foe that they had already killed. Whoops.

lol

Nagol

Unimportant
If I'm messing up, yeah, tell me right then and there. I don't claim to be perfect, and am always looking to be a better DM. If it's a playstyle or preferences thing, I think tact is a little more important. I try to treat my players with respect, and prefer to receive the same.

My worst DMing and drinking story dates back to 4e. I sprung an ambush by a foe that they had already killed. Whoops.

Obviously, he got better. How is a mystery for the players to solve! (next session. After I've had a chance to find a solution).

R_J_K75

Legend
Obviously, he got better.

A note on improvising. I spent hours creating an NPC which made an appearance 5 minutes into the next adventure and the PCs killed either his homunculus or familiar whichever required a systems shock check which he failed and died. There was no getting better from that one. I had to improvise for next 4 or 5 hours. Constructive criticism from players, you shouldve just fudged the SS roll and continued with the adventure you had planned. I learned to come up with outlines and backup plans rather than have a set adventure.

Now, had I been sober, I might have come up with something like that. But then again, I like to think I wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place had I not drank that much!

Obviously, he got better. How is a mystery for the players to solve! (next session. After I've had a chance to find a solution).

If the DM is a friend and I know him (meaning not a convention or something), I generally ask what the idea or thought was behind the piece that I found off.

I should be clear, I've never had one do something crazy. Most of the times it's more like, seeing the other players frustrated and the DM isn't giving any feedback or advice. He's waiting for something specific, like, "I look under the carpet, but not at the floor, but look at the stitching that's on the bottom of the actual carpet. Does it have clue?"
That's where (only after the game, and only if the others were frustrated) I'll ask what the thought process was for that scene? I've never had the conversation end oddly or with frustration. And sometimes I even learn there was a reason. And other times I learn he just didn't notice the other players getting frustrated.
No biggie. It's a game. We have fun in the end.

clericdrag

Villager
I've always thought being supportive is better than anything that could be taken as criticism. Also, people can get very sensitive about the most dumb things, so check in before criticising anyone who is making the effort to DM.

Our DM is doing a fantastic job, especially considering our large number of players. If there's anything we don't like, we tell him straight to his face, and he adapts accordingly.

I think that's very important in a D&D group; that you feel free to openly discuss things that could be improved. And I think our DM deserves praise for being willing to take our criticism and adjust whenever that comes up. A few months ago one of our players complained that there was too much magic in our scifi campaign, and so our DM openly asked us for our preferences, and made changes.

Not every DM takes criticism quite so well. It is never fun to be told that you're not doing a good job as a DM, especially given how much work being a DM can be. I think it is also important for players to respect that.

Larnievc

Hero
You beat me to it, except I usually find that after 3-4 hours we usually quit cause everyones drunk. I guess when there 4-5 eighteen packs in the fridge for 6 players you can say were a drinking group with a D&D problem.

That aside, the one thing my DM (myself) does is, DM all the time. Everyone in the either cant and the game is just terrible or they wont. Sometimes I just want to play, but unfortunately Ive been stuck DMing for the better part of the last 20 years.
Mate, I could have totally wrote what you just said 👍. I’ve played D&D for over 30 years and had a pc about 7 times.

😞

Remove ads