Content Warning [Poll]

What is your preference for Content Warnings on books with potentially dark or triggering content?

• Doesn't matter how dark, violent, or triggering the topic, no content warning needed

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • All you need is a single blurb on page 1

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Put a blurb on page 1, and a cover warning, but that's it

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • A warning on page 1, on the cover, and each impacted monster entry to have an indicator

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • A cover warning, but not needed anywhere else

Votes: 6 9.8%

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sorry to create a new thread on an existing topic as being discussed here, but I didn't know how to create a poll after a thread has already been created.

Based on that discussion, I felt a poll might better capture the different preferences better.

For reference to the poll answers, the images below will illustrate what a warning looks like on the cover, on page 1, and on each monster entry (the A/M indicator).
1637187001581.png

1637187014356.png

1637187065145.png

I'd say a cover blurb is more important than a page 1 blurb - I generally don't read the introduction before buying the book.

"By each entry" is a yes from me assuming it's not most of the entries anyways.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hard for me to choose between options 3 and 4, because I don’t necessarily prefer one over the other. Either is a totally legitimate approach. Ended up voting for option 3 because it’s what I would consider it enough, but I don’t think option 4 would be too much by any means.

I think the cover warning is a great idea so people know that you're aiming for Grimm and not Disney before buying it.

I think a page 1 introduction discussing how to deal with content is a good idea, too. I don't want it to know how to deal with the material at my table. I want it to understand what the author means when they say "content warning". Knowing the author's intent and philosophy is great, and is exactly what an introduction should do.

Individual indicators I could take or leave, but I personally am largely not affected by dark and violent content. I would be able to handle reading entries and deciding not to use it based on the content.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Cover only, with enough detail to give prospective buyers an idea of what they're getting into but preferably also short and to the point.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
So, I actively dislike CW/TW stuff on authored fiction--I think it's kinda like a leading question in that it leads the reader to feel a certain way.

This ain't authored fiction, though. I am inclined to think that a strong warning on the cover, so people see it before they open it; and a strong (or stronger, or more verbose) warning around page 1; and notations around the entries (preferably explained in the page 1 text) make for a pretty good solution.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I would go with the Pg 1 blurb. Explain where the adventure will naturally lead - but do not apologize for it. Use an "Intended for mature audiences" -type disclaimer to aid the prospective buyer make an informed decision to purchase this adventure, or look for something different.

P.S. This presumes a physical copy to peruse; if buying 'blind' over the Internet, then a front cover statement is in order.

Dire Bare

Legend
I didn't vote in the poll because the option I'd go for is, "depends on the product".

From what I know about your upcoming product, "Twilight Fables" . . . I'd put a warning blurb on the cover, a more extensive warning statement in the front matter, and then specific discussions for specific monsters.

I wouldn't put some sort of warning symbol on each relevant monster, but I don't think it's a terrible idea.

I think a cover warning is sufficient. But a blurb with more details on page 1 is a very welcome addition.

As a parent, I deal with lots of cases where all you have is a rating like "PG13" and you just kind of have to guess where that comes from. Could be violence, sex, drugs, gore, or cigarettes. Any extra details that can be provided are appreciated, but not required. As an adult, I also appreciate when they are careful to not give away spoilers as part of the warning. And when I was a teenager, I will also admit that certain details in warnings would only serve to pique my interest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases