D&D 4E Converting 4e monsters?

Drabix

First Post
Just wondering if anyone has done any work recently on converting 4e monsters to 5e. A quick google search didn't turn up anything for me.

txshusker

First Post
I converted 1 1/2 4e modules and am in the middle of converting Thunderspire... I simply used the 5e MM for the new stats blocks - they're very similar in challenge rating. If they didn't exist in the MM, I made them up comparing them to similar lvl monsters and using the beginning of the MM. After updating the stat blocks, I simply compared the experience point difficulty for that encounter to the XP chart from the 5e basic DMG online. Seemed to work pretty well once I got the hang of it. I did have to fudge a couple of crits in battle until I figured out the scale. I also ran a few of the encounters on the side to make sure they were as easy as intended and wouldn't overpower the party and cause kills.

JEB

Legend
I made these conversion documents a few months back, but they're a bit dated now. It might at least give you a starting point to tweak using the Monster Manual or DMG as references.

Wizards is also going to produce official conversion docs, supposedly, but not sure how soon that'll be.

Pardon the thread necromancy, but I've been looking for something like the documents you created and linked right there for months, and now I finally found some more current guidelines to base my work converting some 4e critters to 5e off of.

Well done, JEB! Thanks!

Remove ads