Pathfinder 2E Converting AD&D 2nd Edition to Pathfinder Question

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I finished up an on-the-fly conversion of Night Below: An Underdark Campaign in Pathfinder and it worked well.

My thoughts on that campaign are here, but as to your question specifically...

I found that early-level Pathfinder characters are much stronger than their 2nd edition counterparts. In a campaign where there were supposed to be 6-8 total characters, the PCs managed just fine with a party of four for most of the early going. It evens out by mid-levels. High-level play gets a bit wonky, since AD&D had a more-or-less flat power curve (except for spellcasters) after level 10 or so. A high-level module might toss a marilith or balor at level 12 characters, which would usually mean a TPK in Pathfinder.

So I guess for low-level stuff, assume that the PCs can get it done on the lowest level recommendation. On mid-level stuff, go for somewhere in the middle. On high-level adventures, be prepared to swap out monsters on the fly.

I'd also recommend cutting down on the treasure given away. AD&D often gave away crazy amounts of gold because those editions had gold equaling experience much of the time. I cut gold rewards by 90% and the players never complained (until they found out that I had been removing gold from the adventure).

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Sin título.png
I think this is the "official/legal" way to do it. But, since you will have to take your time, maybe the best way is to create the monster from 0. If the monster already exist just use the new one, if you need change some minor feat or equipment. If you feel it is not enough try adding class levels.

Wolf72

Explorer
As far as conversions go, take a look at the 2e encounters and convert directly. Then eyeball the resulting challenge rating. When I converted the giant modules and slaver modules for 3.5, I worked with that method. The slaver module converted pretty straight, similar level. Giants ended up a couple levels higher. Worked out well. PF should be similar.

This is what I do too.

Even converting from 1e I tend to make it a straight conversion, paying attention to big changes

Remove ads