Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll agree to those edits to the Wicker Juggernaut.

The hp correction sounds good, too.

Those working drafts look pretty complete! I was going to say that these are never-ending, but you've done a lot of the work. Let's deal with the Wolf Morash first. What do you still want for that? Just tactics?

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to those edits to the Wicker Juggernaut.

The hp correction sounds good, too.

Those working drafts look pretty complete! I was going to say that these are never-ending, but you've done a lot of the work.

I didn't do all the work - the base characters are built off the standard NPCs in the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide.

Let's deal with the Wolf Morash first. What do you still want for that? Just tactics?

Yes pretty much.

I would think:

The Wolf Morash usually closes with a double move followed by a stomp attack and then switches to longsword attacks augmented by the Power Attack feat. If the juggernaut faces closely-packed weak opponents it employs its sweep attack.

freyar

Looks good.

I'd think something similar for the Wind Tarola would work.

The Wind Tarola usually closes with a double move followed by a stomp attack and then switches to flail attacks augmented by the Power Attack feat. Facing a difficult or even fight, the juggernaut rages against its fiercest foe. If the juggernaut faces closely-packed weak opponents it employs its sweep attack.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good.

Updating Wolf Morash Juggernaut Working Draft.

I'd think something similar for the Wind Tarola would work.

The Wind Tarola usually closes with a double move followed by a stomp attack and then switches to flail attacks augmented by the Power Attack feat. Facing a difficult or even fight, the juggernaut rages against its fiercest foe. If the juggernaut faces closely-packed weak opponents it employs its sweep attack.

That works for me, although I'd mix the wording up a bit for the sake of varietyto try and add usage of its winged boots to the tactics.

Like so:

As soon as the Wind Tarola encounters a significant opponent the juggernaut rages and activates its winged boots, boosting its combat prowess and granting it a 40 ft. fly speed for 5 minutes (note it can run while flying). It flies into melee range as quickly as possible to make a stomp attack and then unleashes iterative flail attacks augmented with the Power Attack feat. The Wind Talon enjoys using its sweep attack against a mass of weaker enemies who are packed close together.

freyar

That works! Though I think autocorrect or something turned a Tarola into a Talon.

Not entirely sure what to do with the Harvest Halon tactics. The spells might be better to deal with weaker opponents or groups of opponents, while melee would work against tougher ones. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Not entirely sure what to do with the Harvest Halon tactics. The spells might be better to deal with weaker opponents or groups of opponents, while melee would work against tougher ones. What do you think?

I think "How About This":

The Harvest Halon prefers to attack from a distance with spells, particularly through liberal application of its wand of fireballs. It often tries to debilitate its enemies with stinking cloud, hideous laughter, web, confusion or obscuring mist. If the Halon faces a tough opponent it attempts to compel or slay them with charm person or phantasmal killer. Should close combat appear more effective the juggernaut favors stomp and sweep attacks over its relatively ineffective slam attacks.

freyar

Works for me!

Should we give it some kind of familiar? A toad is a safe choice, but if the juggernaut can take the untyped skill bonus, a hawk works. Actually, a hawk would be good to provide surveillance information for the juggernaut.

Do you have ideas on description and background for the template?

Cleon

Legend
Works for me!

Updating Harvest Halon Working Draft.

Should we give it some kind of familiar? A toad is a safe choice, but if the juggernaut can take the untyped skill bonus, a hawk works. Actually, a hawk would be good to provide surveillance information for the juggernaut.

The Hawk familiar needs to be within a mile of the Wizard so it wouldn't be of any surveillance use if the Juggernaut was further away than that from the control tent.

Let's go for the Toad.

Updating Harvest Halon Working Draft.

Do you have ideas on description and background for the template?

For the description how about:

A walking effigy that towers many times taller than a typical humanoid. It bears translucent, shimmering garb and equipment that somehow seem lethally substantial despite their ephemeral appearance.

Don't have anything specific in mind for the background. I'd think something vague and generic might be more appropriate than using the setting-specific Knorr background of the original source.

freyar

The Harvest Halon looks good.

Maybe just something that certain remote tribes have the ability to take control of specially built statues as constructs? And maybe, with our adaptations, other wizards have learned to control other constructs as well.

Cleon

Legend
The Harvest Halon looks good.

Updating the Guardian Juggernaut Working Draft.

Maybe just something that certain remote tribes have the ability to take control of specially built statues as constructs? And maybe, with our adaptations, other wizards have learned to control other constructs as well.

How's this:

Guardian juggernauts are weapons of war, giant constructs piloted by another creature as if the juggernaut were their own body. A guardian juggernaut can use many of their abilities and magical items of its pilot. These rare constructs are usually created by remote tribes, who believe them to be manifestations of a god or spirit that temporarily grants life to a specially prepared totem. The clan's champion pilots the resulting guardian juggernaut against their enemies. While most guardian juggernauts are produced through the intervention of a priest or shaman, a few arcane spellcasters have discovered or developed techniques to create them.

Last edited:

Remove ads