Converting First Edition Monsters

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Went with AC 14, no darkvision, and BAM another plot hook for a magic item...the brille :)

Attachments

• boalisk4.png
    boalisk4.png
    598.4 KB · Views: 87

Cleon

Legend
Went with AC 14, no darkvision,

Updating the Boalisk.

It should have "blindsight 10 ft." not "blindsight 10" in Senses.

The Glare's wording can be honed a bit:

Glare #2. The boalisk targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it with its Rotting Gaze (see above). If the target can see the boalisk, it takes 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and contracts the rotting curse. If the target succeeds on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw it takes half damage and is not cursed.​

My idea was its Glare can affect creatures that "avert their eyes" from casual contact because the boalisk is trying to manoeuvre to meet their eyes, so I guess we should allow for that aspect too.

Still, averting their eyes should offer some benefit. How about advantage on the save?

Thus:

Glare #3. The boalisk targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it with its Rotting Gaze (see above). If the target can see the boalisk, it takes 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and contracts the rotting curse. If the target succeeds on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw it takes half damage and is not cursed. Targets that averted their eyes from the Rotting Gaze gain advantage on the saving throw.​

I like Glare #3 the best of those tweaks.

BAM another plot hook for a magic item...the brille :)

So shall we modify Rotting Gaze so boalisks and constrictor snakes or all snakes are unaffected?

i.e.:

Rotting Gaze #2. If a creature other than a boalisk or snake starts its turn within 30 feet of the boalisk and the two of them can see each other, the boalisk can force the creature to make a DC 12 Constitution saving throw if the boailisk isn't incapacitated. On a failed save, the creature takes 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and contracts a magical rotting curse.​

OR

Rotting Gaze #3. If a creature other than a boalisk or constrictor snake starts its turn within 30 feet of the boalisk and the two of them can see each other, the boalisk can force the creature to make a DC 12 Constitution saving throw if the boailisk isn't incapacitated. On a failed save, the creature takes 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and contracts a magical rotting curse.​

Of those, I lean towards the all-snakes Rotting Gaze #2, but would go for #3 if you prefer it.

Cleon

Legend
I think that'll do for the mechanical elements

Upon reflection, we could add an immunity to certain gaze attacks due to its brille?

If the brille block line-of-sight by completely covering the eyes, a boalisk can't make direct eye contact and should be immune to the petrifying eyes of a basilisk or medusa.

Will think about the Description.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Funnily enough I was musing on this today (i.e. immunity to gaze attacks - or could be resistance to gaze attacks of other critters and immunity to boalisks) - anyway, yeah. I like the idea of hte brille being wider in its scope ....

Cleon

Legend
Funnily enough I was musing on this today (i.e. immunity to gaze attacks - or could be resistance to gaze attacks of other critters and immunity to boalisks) - anyway, yeah. I like the idea of hte brille being wider in its scope ....

How about:

Brille. A boalisk's eyes are covered by transparent scales that grant it immunity to attacks that require eye contact or direct line of sight, such as some gaze attacks (e.g. the petrifying gaze of a basilisk or medusa). The eye-covering scales also protect the boalisk's eyes from dust and other irritants. Brille are actually permanently fused clear eyelids, so a boalisk has its eyes closed but can still see.

It doesn't really need the Red Bit but it adds some flavour.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Right...the description as its stands is this....

The boalisk is a large serpentine horror with a gaze as hazardous as its near-namesake, the basilisk. Up to 25 feet long, it resembles a gigantic constrictor snake with sombre-colored scales of green, brown and grey, and striking luminous yellow eyes. Unknowing adventurers have sometimes mistaken this beast for a basilisk, leading to a not uncommonly held belief that basilisks are snakelike in appearance.

The boalisk's gaze afflicts victims with a rotting condition rather than petrification, which enables it to feed upon animals too large for it to kill in direct confrontation. After biting prey, the boalisk stalks them until they succumb to the rot, and eats their easily-digestible remains. Unlike basilisks, boalisks have a brille (clear membrane) over their eyes that prevents them being affected by their own gaze. This body part is valued by wizards and alchemists as it can be used to make eye cusps that prevent gaze attacks from affecting the wearer.

The boalisk inhabits dismal swamps and jungles, generally in warmer climates. Its origin is unknown, but thought to be from similar processes or dark magic that created the basilisk.

(Boalisks first appeared in 1st edition Monster Manual II in 1983)

(By the way, have been using the buffed troglodyte leaders on multiple encounters in my campagin - players were surprised by the range of the warchief's warstench)

PS: you left a stray closing bracket on the volcano pig....

Remove ads