Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Reverse-engineering the wraith-spiders, it looks like they are somewhat like templated monstrous spiders.

Hit Dice same for Small to Large, +2 Huge, +8 Gargantuan, +16 Colossal
+2 Str from Small to Huge, Gargantuan same, and -2 for Colossal
Dex set to 15
Con -
Int 2
Cha 1

I think we'd be better off simply starting at Medium (2 HD), like the original phantom spider stat block, then allowing for normal advancement, rather than having multiple slightly-different stat blocks. We could note any unusual advancement in flavor text. Thoughts?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm agreeable to that. Unless there's a really good reason to give funny advancement, I'd rather not...

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, if we start with a Medium Monstrous Spider and make it undead, we get this...

Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 2d12 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, web
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 17, Con —, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +7*, Jump +0*, Spot +4*
Feats: Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or colony (2–5)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Skills: Monstrous spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A monstrous spider can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Monstrous spiders use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. *Web-spinning spiders have a +8 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when using their webs.

...I left off the poison and web ability descriptions, as they'll need replacements.

Shall we modify the ability scores at all? AC needs to improve by 1, so we can either increase natural armor or improve Dex by 1 or 2 points.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks ok.

SA-Poison. A successful bite delivers phantom venom which remains active for 1d4+1 rounds in the victim. Each round the venom remains active, the victim must make a successful saving throw vs. poison or temporarily lose 1 point of Constitution. A slow poison delays the effects of the venom but does not restore Constitution already lost (but a neutralize poison would do the trick). Constitution returns at a rate of 1 point per 24 hours. Victims drained of all Constitution points die and have a 15% chance of rising again as phantom spiders.

Want to make this a normal poison with 1d6 Con, 1d6 Con? With spawning, that is.

SW-Holy water vials thrown at these creatures inflict 2d4 points of damage (as acid) against their phantom bodies. Because of their shadowy nature, phantom spiders are turned as shadows.
I'm happy with holy water as normal undead. +2 turn resistance, like shadows?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Want to make this a normal poison with 1d6 Con, 1d6 Con? With spawning, that is.

Sure. Should we limit the create spawn to spiders? Or do humanoids, etc., undergo a transformation?

I'm happy with holy water as normal undead. +2 turn resistance, like shadows?

Sounds good.

The phantom spider in Homebrews appears to be missing "Medium Undead" at the top.

Nice catch. I must've copied over it with cut n' paste. :blush:

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. And since the phantom spider is mindless, I think the spawn should be "free willed" rather than under the control of their mindless progenitor.

Phantom spiders spin a foul green-glowing web that drains the very life from those that become ensnared in it: phantom webbing drains 1d4 hit points in the event of casual contact and reqquires a successful saving throw vs. paralyzation to avoid being immobilized for 1d6 rounds. Every round of continued contact drains an additional 1d4 hit points of damage from the cold. The webs only part to silver or +1 or better weapons, although a successful bend bars/lift gates roll will also break a strand.

Here's a stab at it...

Phantom Web (Ex): A phantom spider can throw a foul green-glowing web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet and a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free.

An entangled creature takes 1d4 points of cold damage each round. It can escape with a DC x Escape Artist check or burst the web with a DC x Strength check. Both are standard actions. The check DCs are Constitution-based, and the Strength check DC includes a +4 racial bonus.

A phantom spider can create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 20 feet across. The spider usually positions these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Each 5-foot section of webbing has x hit points and damage reduction 5/magic or silver.

A phantom spider can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads