Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd like to finish off the last of the jogah, but I'm going to start a "Finishing off the Fey" thread so as not to hijack this thread from the waiting plants.

Like this one.

Spear Grass
AC:7 MV:0 HD:7 hp:49 #AT:4 Dmg:1-6 each SA:Blood drain (1-4) SD:Nil AL:N THAC0:13

"The path has turned to parallel a stream on one side and a stony bluff on the other. The trail twists mund looming rocky outcroppings. Tall stands of bamboo-like growth stretch along the trail's edges, lending a tenuous footing in the rocky soil. You notice that it has become uncommonly quiet for some time. Approximately 60 yards ahead, the path descends to ford the creek, which has drawn very near. A companion's foot slip and there is a loud crack of a snapping branch. The sound of rustling arises from one grove of bamboo-like plants near the stream--and then a spearlike object is flung to land, point first, in the path before you."

This cluster of spear grass is but one of several that line the bank the heroes have walked along for several minutes. The plants track by sound and then communicate with others of their kind using a rustling language. The party has just passed within short range of this cluster and it has flung one spear in an attempt to elicit more noise. Then the spear grass will alert the rest of the clusters to the presence of prey. Once alerted, the way back will become a gauntlet run of deadly missiles. Ahead, beyond the stream, there are no more stands of spear grass, and the characters will be out of range in two or three rounds.

Spear grass clusters have 24 missiles that they may fling four at a time, and another 12 immature stalks that may be used in melee with any creatures that attack it. The spears are attached to a thin hollow filament through which the plant may suck body fluids once prey is impaled, draining an additional 1d4 points each round. These stalks are replaced at the rate of 12 a week.

Originally appeared in I13 - Adventure Pack I (1987).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good call.

Shall we figure out ability scores?

I'm thinking high Dex, average to decent Str, and decent to high Con. Int is not given, but they have at least animal intellect, maybe higher based on the tactics described. Wis is probably slightly higher than Dex, and Cha is probably similar to the other two. Suggestions?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's go with those. Added to Homebrews.

Retain x3 crit multiplier of spears?

The text contradicts itself, giving the spear grass 4 attacks in the stat block, but noting that it can attack with the 12 "spear-shoots". Shall we limit it to 4, since 12 attacks may send the CR skyrocketing?

The attach seems a bit off. Maybe model off this critter?

Attach (Ex): If an anguillian hits with its bite attack, it uses its powerful jaws to latch onto the opponent’s body and automatically deals bite damage each round it remains attached. An attached anguillian loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and has an AC of 14.

An attached anguillian can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached anguillian through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the anguillian.

Blood Drain (Ex): An anguillian that begins its turn attached to an opponent bores into its opponent's body and begins to drain fluids. It deals 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it remains attached.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, that's how dire weasel attach works. I think that's fair.

Any particular reason these are so wise?

Perhaps they can fire four spears at a time, and get 12 a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads