Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We could probably get away with the stone giant's other scores, as they aren't that impressive! Of course, the ga-hon-ga are actually more intelligent (Very = 11-12).

I'm not particularly bothered by the very close name, but we could try something else.

One option is to simply call them "stone throwers" and note within the text they call themselves "ga-hon-ga". Alternatively, we could call them "Jogah, Ga-Hon-Ga" and continue that naming convention with the other unconverted jogah from that article. I think I prefer that approach.

Here's another link to more information on these fellows:

Myths and Legends of the New York ... - Google Book Search

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
We should give them more HD. Why? Because they've got 2, but are as strong as a stone giant and have control weather and/or plant growth as an SLA (how else could they determine whether a season is fruitful or barren?) Speak with animals (aquatic only) also makes sense as an SLA, and they should have wild empathy.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looking pretty good. Based on "The Ga-hon-ga have strength equal to a stone giant, and can throw and catch rocks with the same degree of ability," let's also give them rock catching.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think the ga-hon-ga should get a natural armor bonus. Also, I think we should give it a slam attack and some feats to reflect its love of wrestling. Make it more monk-ish.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. The only problem with the monk feats is that they are based off Improved Unarmed Strike, which isn't needed if it has true slam attacks. Would you rather give it a monk's unarmed strike ability? Or state that it qualifies for feats as if it were a monk of xth level, treating its slam attacks as unarmed strikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads