Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
OK. So are these guys three feet long in the body, or do they have roughly the same proportions, you think? They don't have a sting attack, which suggests a shorter tail, bulkier body and higher (10 pounds? 15?) weight.

Cleon

Legend
OK. So are these guys three feet long in the body, or do they have roughly the same proportions, you think? They don't have a sting attack, which suggests a shorter tail, bulkier body and higher (10 pounds? 15?) weight.

They'd probably be Small sized if they were three feet long in the body. I'd be fine with making them the same weight as a Pseudodragon, or a little heavier. Maybe 8 pounds, the upper limit for a standard Tiny creature.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Suggested duration for the confusion effect of the breath weapon? Maybe 1d6 rounds?

1d6 is OK. I wouldn't go any higher, since it's quite effective.

Environment: Any forests?

Organization: Solitary or pair?

Yes, those both fit.

Challenge Rating: 2?

Treasure: Triple standard?

I agree with demiurge, CR3 is more fitting, although I considering their ethereal phase ability more significant than 1 level or sorcery.

Type F is an awfully good treasure for such a little critter, so triple standard is fine as far as I'm concerned. They'll presumably use their ethereal jaunt to hide their lair, so it'll be difficult to retrieve.

Alignment: Always chaotic, rarely evil?

Level Adjustment: +3 (like pseudodragon)?

Yes to the alignment, but I'd make the Level Adjustment higher. You're talking about a spellcasting PC with ethereal jaunt at will. That's a killer ability, so I would think LA +4, or maybe even +5, is more appropriate.

Cleon

Legend

The stats looks finished so I'd say it's good to go, unless we fancy adding a bit more descriptive text. Maybe something about it stealing unattended valuables?

It looks a bit odd that the phase dragon's combat strategy make no mention of its ethereal jaunt ability, so maybe we could expand that? Something like "A phase dragon prefers to avoid combat, utilizing its breath weapon to cover its escape into the ethereal plane. If forced to fight, it uses its ethereal jaunt ability to make jaunt-and-run attacks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads