Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Giving it an explicit size might be good. Is it a 10ft square? Can it be interacted with (say, by climbing up on it for higher ground?)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point. Unfortunately, the standard cart's writeup doesn't give it a size, just carrying capacity (1/2 ton), so we can't just say it behaves like a normal cart.

10 by 10 sounds fine, though.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not sure you should be able to interact with it if you can't assault it, in which case the size doesn't matter so much. I'd kind of like the idea that only the ankou can interact with it.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure you should be able to interact with it if you can't assault it, in which case the size doesn't matter so much. I'd kind of like the idea that only the ankou can interact with it.

I'd like to add something about what happens to objects (like corpses!) loaded into the cart - do they become invisible and intangible? Do they hang in mid-air? Do they vanish if the cart is dispelled? Currently, I'm thinking of something like this:
The cart can only carry inanimate objects, which become as invisible and intangible as the cart itself. Only the ankou can load or unload the cart, but if the cart is dismissed any objects it is carrying regain physicality and fall to the ground.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So putting it all together...

Cart Of the Dead (Su): An ankou is followed everywhere it goes by an invisible cart pulled by an equally invisible ox or horse. The cart and its beast of burden produce noise and leave a trail of wheel-ruts and hoof-prints like a normal horse- or ox-cart would. The Cart of the Dead can travel over any terrain without any penalty, even rolling across or through water, and can carry a load of up to 1,000 pounds. The cart can only carry inanimate objects, which become as invisible and intangible as the cart itself. Only the ankou can load or unload the cart, but if the cart is dismissed any objects it is carrying regain physicality and fall to the ground. Neither cart nor beast can be damaged by any weapon or spell, although it can be dismissed from existence by an exorcism, dispel evil or a similar higher-level banishment spell. The ankou can resummon a banished Cart of the Dead the following night.

Edit: I know you liked the pun, Cleon, but I think most folk will think the ability name of "Cart Off the Dead" is a typo when we refer to "Cart of the Dead" in the description.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Suddenly, this monster is giving me flashbacks to the Princess Bride.

Anybody want a peanut? :p

Updated.

I think the only ability left to tacke is this...

The touch of holy water instantly causes it and its cart to return to the nether realms of Tartarus without the possibility of a saving throw.

Like so?

Banished by Holy Water (Ex): An ankou struck by holy water (even only a splash) is immediately forced to return to its home plane (no saving throw).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads