• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm ok with dropping the Con a bit (though +5 seems a pretty high addition to HD), but I prefer Int toward the higher range given their general knowledge (which is Int, not Wis based). And I like the higher Cha for the SLAs, too. How about Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 19?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd rather not drop either.

Their Con is on par with (or slightly below) other 10 HD outsiders, such as monadic devas, osyluths, and vrocks. The "+5" in the HD line was quite a big boost in 1e.

Also, their Int of Genius to supra-genius rivaled only the greatest of dragons, archdevils, etc., in 1e, so the scores are probably a bit understated, actually. These are knowledge-focused monsters, so mental stats should be their strong suit.

Shade

Monster Junkie
No natural, I think, but I could go for a deflection bonus to AC.

Agreed to knowledgable and to an unearthly grace-type ability. Considering their affinity for force effects, giving them mage armor wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Does anyone see a problem with simply giving them unearthly grace (adds Cha bonus to saves and as deflection bonus to AC)?

I like the mage armor idea as well. 3/day? That puts them at AC 20, at least 4 points shy of the other outsiders we compared them to earlier. Maybe add shield 3/day as well?

Cleon

Legend
Does anyone see a problem with simply giving them unearthly grace (adds Cha bonus to saves and as deflection bonus to AC)?

I like the mage armor idea as well. 3/day? That puts them at AC 20, at least 4 points shy of the other outsiders we compared them to earlier. Maybe add shield 3/day as well?

I don't see anything suggesting such extraordinarily good saves in the original. I was thinking just Wis bonus to AC like a monk, not Cha.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The monk bonus to AC is a nice suggestion--I like it!

I also think that just 3/day mage armor is sufficient.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Other than adding shield as a SLA, I could see granting them an insight bonus. However, that is usually based off Wis modifier, so combined with the monk AC bonus, it would be "double-dipping."

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
OK, you've convinced me to shield. And their caster level is high enough that they can take Quicken for it as a feat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads