SPECIAL DEFENSES: Phasing ability; see hidden/invisible objects
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 30%
INTELLIGENCE: Average to very
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic (neutral or good)
SIZE: S (3’ long)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil
LEVEL/X.P. VALUE: IV to V/175 + 3/hp to 360 + 5/hp

The phase dragon can be found almost anywhere, although it prefers sparsely inhabited areas in and around forests. Its lair can be found in caves and in stout, hollow trees. Though of small size, a phase dragon is as greedy as any other dragon and covets precious metals, gems, and magic items.

This dragon’s phasing ability allows it to shift out of phase with its surroundings as a phase spider can; it uses this power when attacking or being attacked. The dragon will bring itself back into phase when it is ready to deliver a bite or breath weapon (it can see its surroundings even when out of phase). When out of phase, the dragon cannot be struck by normal weapons, but it can be seen and attacked by someone wearing armor of etherealness or using oil of etherealness; other ethereal beings can also attack it. A phase door spell will cause the dragon to remain in phase for seven rounds.

Because a phase dragon hates to fight, it will prefer to use its breath weapon first in an unfriendly encounter and then try to escape. The phase dragon can attack once per round with either a bite or by breathing a 10’ diameter cloud of white gas that causes all within it who fail a saving throw vs. breath weapon to become confused, as per the druid spell confusion.

A phase dragon is able to use magic, and if taught to do so (as 40% of them have been), it can learn a 1st-level magic-user spell for each of its first four ages and a 2nd-level magic-user spell every age after that, to a maximum of four 1st-level and four 2nd-level magic-user spells at ancient age. Phase dragons have the same age categories and abilities to detect hidden or invisible beings that regular dragons have, but they lack any fear aura abilities. They can be subdued. Phase dragons are a glossy light blue-gray in color, and their scales have a mother-of-pearl sheen to them. They speak their own tongue and their alignment language, and 75% of them know the common tongue as well. Phase dragons are 40% likely to be found sleeping. They make saving throws like regular dragons.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #94 (1985).

Elsewhere, we determined that we will convert these as "lesser dragons", like wyverns and linnorms, and not true dragons with age categories.

Cleon

Legend
Looks like we should base it on the Pseudodragon, there are many similarities in its stats.

Its size (including 3' body length), 6" land move, AC, and see invisible ability are identical to the AD&D Pseudodragon, so we may as well just copy the SRD Pseudodragon's equivalent in those areas. (Tiny Dragon, AC 18, Speed 15 ft, Blindsense 60 ft., darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision)

Now for the changes:

Increase Hit Dice by to 3d12, with advancement 4-5HD (Tiny). So it's 3-5 HD to a Pseudo's 2-4 HD.

Its Magic Resistance is 30% to the Pseudo's 30%, so Spell Resistance 18 instead of the 3E Pseudo's 19?

Plus the normal true dragon's immunity to sleep and paralysis, of course.

Its phase-shifting ability is its big power. Since it says it works like a phase spider's, we may as well copy-and-paste the SRD phase spider's Ethereal Jaunt power.

The 1st level magic-user spells just look like it gains sorcerer levels somehow, but not all pseudodragons can do this. Maybe add a subentry for "arcane phase dragons" that casts spells as a sorcerer of a level equal to its Hit Dice?

Now, what shall we do about ability scores. A pseudodragon is:

Pseudodragon: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10.

I feel its stats should be a bit better than a pseudodragon, it has 3HD to the pseudo's 2HD and an intelligence of average-very (8-12) to a pseudo's average (8-10). Also, it will need a 12 in its spellcasting stat (Charisma if we go sorcerer) to be able to cast 2nd level spells.

So, how about the following:

Phase Dragon: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 13

It has bite 1d4 instead of a sting.

Hmm, I'm tempted to increase its bite to 1d6 so its average damage (1d6-1) is almost the same as the original's 1d4 sans penalties.

The phase dragon doesn't have telepathy like a pseudodragon.

And finally, it has a confusion breath weapon instead of a coma-causing poison. That looks like it translates to a 10-foot cone with effects as a confusion spell (caster level = HD or HD+3?).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That sounds like a pretty good analysis to me.

As for the arcane spells, we could either add "or by character class (favored class sorcerer)" to the advancement, give all of them Spells (Sp) (or have a sidebar variant), or give them some SLAs. I think I'm partial to giving all of them Spells (not just some of them) to juice them up a little. But it's not a big deal. ;)

Cleon

Legend
That sounds like a pretty good analysis to me.

As for the arcane spells, we could either add "or by character class (favored class sorcerer)" to the advancement, give all of them Spells (Sp) (or have a sidebar variant), or give them some SLAs. I think I'm partial to giving all of them Spells (not just some of them) to juice them up a little. But it's not a big deal. ;)

I don't mind giving them all levels in sorcerer but I don't think spell-like abilities is a good fit with the phase dragon as written.

RavinRay

Explorer
I remember we gave the pink dragon over at the true dragons thread a unique spellcasting progression. I think we can modify that for the phase dragon.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't mind giving them all levels in sorcerer but I don't think spell-like abilities is a good fit with the phase dragon as written.

That was very emphatic! ;) I agree, just throwing out options.

I remember we gave the pink dragon over at the true dragons thread a unique spellcasting progression. I think we can modify that for the phase dragon.

Well, I don't think we want a progression, since we're not giving these age categories.

What if we give them all 1 effective level of sorcerer and let them advance by character class as well as HD? That keeps the average one kind of weak but allows some to be more powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases