Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Here's the breathdrinker's ability:

Steal Breath (Su): As a full-round action, a breathdrinker can attempt to suck the air from the lungs of any helpless creature within reach. The target must make a successful Fortitude saving throw (DC 17) or take 1d6 points of Constitution damage. The target dies when his or her Constitution score reaches 0. The breathdrinker heals 5 points of damage for each point of Constitution the target loses, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. So long as the target remains helpless, the breathdrinker continues to use this attack against that creature every round until it dies.

Another possible source of inspiration:

Smoke Claws (Ex): A belker in smoke form (see below) can engulf opponents by moving on top of them. It fills the air around one Medium or smaller opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or inhale part of the creature. The save DC is Constitution-based. Smoke inside the victim solidifies into a claw and begins to rip at the surrounding organs, dealing 3d4 points of damage per round. An affected creature can attempt another Fortitude save each subsequent round to cough out the semivaporous menace.

Oh, and for the gaseous form...

Smoke Form (Su): Most of the time a belker is more or less solid, but at will it can assume smoke form. It can switch forms once per round as a free action and can spend up to 20 rounds per day in smoke form. A belker in smoke form can fly at a speed of 50 feet (perfect). The ability is otherwise similar to a gaseous form spell (caster level 7th).

...or...

Gaseous Form (Ex): A phiuhl's insubstantial form grants it immunity to critical hits. A phiuhl cannot run, but it can fly (slowly), and it is subject to winds. It cannot wear armor, manipulate solid objects, or enter water or other liquids. It can pass through small holes or narrow openings--even mere cracks. It also can occupy squares occupied by enemies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Steal Breath is a good idea. I say go for it.

I think LN or LE is the best fit, at least if we want them to keep to such a rigid attack routine. Otherwise NE or CE.

Edit: I'd go with either the belker's or phiuhl's gaseous form and some kind of change shape/size ability for the whirlwind business.

Cleon

Legend
Smoke Claws (Ex): A belker in smoke form (see below) can engulf opponents by moving on top of them. It fills the air around one Medium or smaller opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or inhale part of the creature. The save DC is Constitution-based. Smoke inside the victim solidifies into a claw and begins to rip at the surrounding organs, dealing 3d4 points of damage per round. An affected creature can attempt another Fortitude save each subsequent round to cough out the semivaporous menace.

This appears a much better match to the original, I'd rather use it than Steal Breath.

Smoke Form (Su): Most of the time a belker is more or less solid, but at will it can assume smoke form. It can switch forms once per round as a free action and can spend up to 20 rounds per day in smoke form. A belker in smoke form can fly at a speed of 50 feet (perfect). The ability is otherwise similar to a gaseous form spell (caster level 7th).

...or...

Gaseous Form (Ex): A phiuhl's insubstantial form grants it immunity to critical hits. A phiuhl cannot run, but it can fly (slowly), and it is subject to winds. It cannot wear armor, manipulate solid objects, or enter water or other liquids. It can pass through small holes or narrow openings--even mere cracks. It also can occupy squares occupied by enemies.

I think the Smoke Form is the closest, except the Dust Devil's works the other way round - most of the time it's in gaseous form. If we follow the original it takes it a full-round action to become solid enough to attack.

RavinRay

Explorer
Since it spends more time in gaseous than compact form, we'd have to reverse the description of dust form/gaseous form as per Cleon's suggestion. I think we also need a change in size from Small to Tiny (6" diameter).

Cleon

Legend
Since it spends more time in gaseous than compact form, we'd have to reverse the description of dust form/gaseous form as per Cleon's suggestion. I think we also need a change in size from Small to Tiny (6" diameter).

I'd be game to have it shrink when it's using its "throttle" attack (whatever we decide to call it).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I think we should give them a slam attack like most elementals. That would allow it to have a less rigid attack routine, swaying freyar to CN. ;)

Do you think we need the size change for the solid form, or can we just let that one slide?

freyar

Slam attacks sound good, and I'll let you switch to CN if we change the flavor and tactics a little. ;)

I'm torn on the size change. I'd rather keep it simple, but it sure sounds like it's going down to Tiny.

Cleon

Legend
Slam attacks sound good, and I'll let you switch to CN if we change the flavor and tactics a little. ;)

Yes that makes sense.

Two 1d6+1 slams? It'd put them about halfway between a Small Air Elemental's 1d4 and a Small Earth Elemental's 1d6+4.

I'm torn on the size change. I'd rather keep it simple, but it sure sounds like it's going down to Tiny.

Rather than having them shrinking to assume solid form, I was thinking of having them size-reduce when using their "Smoke Claws" like attack, something like this:

Dust Form (Ex): A dust devil's natural form is a vortex of whirling dust, with the same effects as gaseous form. In this form it can fly at a speed of 50 ft (perfect). A dust devil can solidify its body as a swift action, allowing it to attack with its slam attacks and dust talons. Solidifying takes 1 round, during which time the dust devil cannot attack physically but still loses the DR 10/magic of its gaseous form. A solidified dust devil can still fly, but must stay near the ground - it is unable to stray more than its Reach from the earth without collapsing back into gaseous form. A dust devil can instantaneously return to its natural dust vortex form as a swift action.

Dust Talons (Ex): A dust devil that has solidified out of its dust form (see above) can engulf an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity, simply by moving on top of them. Its opponent must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or the dust devil condenses itself around its target's head and forces part of its body down its opponent's mouth (or other orifice, for creatures with different anatomies). The condensed dust devil gains a +X size bonus to its AC and starts tearing at the internal organs of its opponent, dealing 3d4 points of damage per round. An affected creature can attempt another Fortitude save each subsequent round to cough out the semi-solid menace. The save DC is Constitution-based

freyar

Hmm, I have some questions about that.

Why is assuming dust form a swift action if it takes a round? Shouldn't it be a full round action? Or something like a 1 round casting time spell?

Why does it get the size bonus to AC when using dust talons if it's not smaller? In fact, it's engulfing an opponent (or at least the head!). The belker doesn't get that. If anything, I'd say the victim of the talons takes some fraction of the damage dealt to the dust devil.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I have some questions about that.

Why is assuming dust form a swift action if it takes a round? Shouldn't it be a full round action? Or something like a 1 round casting time spell?

It takes a swift action to start the transformation, but it takes a round to have effect. That means it can condense and move, double-move or run in the same round, but not attack, since it isn't solid yet.

Could do with some rewording to make that clearer though.

Revising...

Dust Form (Ex): A dust devil's natural form is a vortex of whirling dust, with the same effects as gaseous form. In this form it can fly at a speed of 50 ft (perfect).

A dust devil can solidify its body as a swift action, but this solidification takes a round to take effect, during which time the dust devil loses the DR 10/magic of its gaseous form but is unable to attack physically, although it can still perform actions that do not require a solid body, such as movement. A solidified dust devil can still fly, but must stay near the ground - it is unable to stray more than its Reach from the earth without collapsing back into gaseous form.

A dust devil can instantaneously return to its natural dust vortex form as a swift action.

Why does it get the size bonus to AC when using dust talons if it's not smaller? In fact, it's engulfing an opponent (or at least the head!). The belker doesn't get that. If anything, I'd say the victim of the talons takes some fraction of the damage dealt to the dust devil.

Well we can just say it gains a smaller size category if that bothers you...

Dust Talons (Ex): A dust devil that has solidified out of its dust form (see above) can engulf an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity, simply by moving on top of them. Its opponent must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or the dust devil shrinks itself around its target's head and forces part of its body down its opponent's mouth (or other orifice, for creatures with different anatomies) and starts tearing at the internal organs of its opponent, dealing Y points of damage per round. An affected creature can attempt another Fortitude save each subsequent round to cough out the semi-solid menace. The save DC is Constitution-based.

A dust devil becomes [Diminutive?] sized while attacking with dust talons and gains a [+3?] size bonus to its AC. It immediately resumes its normal size once it stops using its dust talons attack.

Remove ads