Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's put Int in the middle at about 7 or 8 and put Dex and Cha both at the 16-17 range. Wis somewhere around 12-13, I guess.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

A kada appears to a detect magic or detect invisibility spell as a colored cloud appropriate to the emotion which created it.

What to do with that?

Kada are naturally invisible and cannot move far from the place wher they were created without the help of another being.

Repurpose this?

Natural Invisibility (Su): This ability is constant, allowing a stalker to remain invisible even when attacking. This ability is inherent and not subject to the invisibility purge spell.

They have only a limited ability to interact with the world, being able to move one type (or group of types) of item appropriate to the person who created the kada. For example, a carpenter’s kada might be able to move any saw in its range.

Limited form of this?

Telekinesis (Su): A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Combat: Kada attack with whatever they can affect; this attack always causes 2-8 hp damage. The range of a kada’s object moving is 60’, but while a kada is moving something it must stay stationary. Some kada have special attacks depending on what they can affect: a kada able to affect the wind might have a suffocation attack, whereas one able to affect bow and arrow would have a ranged missile attack.

Defer to telekinesis, or do something extra?

It suffers half damage from magical cold or fire.

Simplify to resistance to cold and fire 10 or so?

A magical spirit, a kada cannot be turned. It can, however, be dispelled by a successful dispel magic vs. 9th level, which destroys the kada. A kada cannot enter an anti-magic shell, or similar areas where magic is not active.

Turn immunity, and some "vulnerable to anti-magic" ability?

Kada often run into one major problem when attempting to fulfill their goal: they are unable to move more than 300 yards beyond the place where they were created, unless an intelligent creature moves a substantial item from that place. If this occurs, then the kada can move with the item. The kada itself cannot move items beyond the 300 yard radius. Kada can thus be found anywhere where there are or have been humans or demihumans.

Didn't we do a similar "bound to item" ability earlier?

If a kada is unable to fulfill its goal or is older than 100 years, it starts to erode and eventually breaks up.
j

Flavor text, or part of rejuvenation ability writeup?

When a kada has acheieved its goal, it dissipates. There is a 20% chance that the magic released by the kada’s dissipation instills some minor magical power in a nearby item.

Some "enchant item" power?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Added to Homebrews.

What to do with that?

Give an example of color:
Died Angry: Red
Murder: Black
Sad: Blue
Died during Sex: ORGASMO! (i keed)
Leave it upto the DM to handle as flavor text.

Repurpose this?

Natural Invisibility (Su): This ability is constant, allowing a stalker to remain invisible even when attacking. This ability is inherent and not subject to the invisibility purge spell.

They are bound to the location much like some other undead who died near their corpse. Limit their range/radius and use this ability. Outside of said range they become visible.

Limited form of this?

Telekinesis (Su): A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

more flavor text.

Defer to telekinesis, or do something extra?
defer to TK concerning items.

Simplify to resistance to cold and fire 10 or so?
10/10 is fine

Turn immunity, and some "vulnerable to anti-magic" ability?

Yes to turn immunity. If dispel magic is used creature needs to make a Will save vs casters level to save or be destroyed.

Didn't we do a similar "bound to item" ability earlier?

this sounds like a Demi-liche's Phylactery (sp)

Flavor text, or part of rejuvenation ability writeup?
total flavor text. Any DM who will use this critter will have it exist for it's expected lifespan or as part of the adventure to outlast it and have it die. I can see that being part of an adventure arc "In 10 days it will cease to exist, the PCs must solve the mystery or else!"

Some "enchant item" power?

Random minor enchantment on the item that it's bound to. 1-25% on the random roll or at max +1

freyar

I agree with attacking only through telekinesis, and I think most of the ideas here sound good.

A couple of Shade's questions:
Make the 100 years part of rejuvenation.
I think the bound to item you're thinking about was the guardian yugoloths.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Here's the yugoloth bit...

Devoted Guardian (Su): A guardian yugoloth that agrees to protect an object is mystically bound to it. Until it completes its term or service or is released from its agreement, it may not move more than 300 ft from the object it guards. If the yugoloth is forced outside that range, it is instantly teleported back to a designated area adjacent to the treasure, as if by a word of recall spell.

freyar

I think we could just increase the range (300 yd=900 ft vs 300 ft) or not, really, but that ability seems just right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads